Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Very noob question about unity mecanim and blender animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by kyle_b, May 13, 2014.

1. kyle_b

kyle_b

Hello,

I'm new to unity and to 3d animation too.
    I've begun to read the manual about mecanim but I got lost after a while; I'm also learning blender animation system.

What I can't figure out is the following : Do I have to make the animations in blender anyway and then bring them into unity and adapt to mecanim system or is it even possible to make the animations directly into unity?

second question let's say I use a mocap system: can I import directly the mocap captures into unity mecanim, or still I have to pass through blender?

Ok all this must sound really noob but I'm really confused at the moment so any help would be appreciated

2. chrisall76

chrisall76

For mecanim, the animations can be made in Unity or in Blender. For a mocap system, if it exports to any file type that can carry animations (usually .blend, .3ds, .fbx, etc.) then yes you can bring it right into Unity. Depending on the mocap system you may have to bring it into Blender it clean it up though.

3. kyle_b

kyle_b

Thank you Chris for the super fast answer;
    Just other questions so that I'd have a clearer picture of what to do:
    If I understood it correctly I can import a simple 3d obj file character model to unity and use mecanim to make the animations?
    While, if I instead use blender to make the animations I guess I can use mecanim to connect the various animations together, right?
    So in the first case also the rigging can be made in mecanim?
    Not to get off topic but: I found ni-mate mocap software that was free, and now not but affordable; do you or somebody else know about an opensource motion capture software?

4. chrisall76

chrisall76

Mecanim doesn't make animations, your looking at the legacy editor to make animations. Mecanim is to put your animations together and apply them to basally any mesh with the same bone structure. It doesn't make animations/make rigs (if you want a auto-rigger, Mixamo's is pretty good). this video will help clear up things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UboS7ZLfUw

The mocap software I use is Cinema MoCap, which is really all I can recommend.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12620

5. kyle_b

kyle_b

Ok Now it's clearer thank you