Search Unity

Very Large variations of the same object: How to organize in Buckets?

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by darashayda, Sep 22, 2021.

1. darashayda

darashayda

This is our application at CCN Studios:

No matter what computational structures, we variate them whether in discrete form of parametrization or in continuous form. And often we do randomly generated parameters, in either case, which belong to certain domain.

All and all there is a problem dealing with these algorithmic structures: often then are quite difficult to compute i.e. takes long time or large memories, and therefore we resort to build large CACHES of these structures which then our applications grab from a Cloud CACHE.

This is how for example our Fluidmaze game was accessing its maze structures from our Cloud caches since each maze often took many minutes to compute and solve. And programming them C# of Unity was ghastly difficult. See attached images.

Now we are about to commit to CCD and we like to move these Large Caches into CCD buckets, somehow.

Example: We have algorithmic or procedural Trees, Rocks and other elements of a Landscape domain. We like to pre-compute several thousand Trees and Rocks in advance and place into a Cloud CACHE. Further we want Unity game code to randomly access the said ensembles. See attached images.

For simplicity imagine the entire CACHE is indexed by a single integer variable which can retrieve a particular version of a Tree.

I need to make a realistic and efficient use of CCD to make this possible and I need to do this ... in coming days.

Should we index the Buckets? Then random index of these buckets gets the game certain sane number of variations. Then choose one member of the bucket randomly.

Requirement: Consider the number of buckets to be substantials, unless there is a substructure to a single large bucket that allows the program only get portions of the elements within.

I do not need programming instructions, I need to understand how to use the buckets best.

Dara

Attached Files:

2. timtunity3d

timtunity3d

Unity Technologies

Conceptually we think about buckets as a way to organize into high level concepts like environments, platforms, etc, and to move vetted content between them. So for instance moving content from a development bucket to a production bucket.

You could certainly do what you're suggesting with a bucket per generated asset type, but you can also create folders inside a bucket. Would that be a better construct? I would suggest that in this way you could, for instance, generate thousands of new rocks in the /rocks/ folder in your testing bucket, generate the index, and then once everything is tested, you can promote it into your live bucket.

Apologies if I'm not quite getting the nuance of what you're asking here.

3. darashayda

darashayda

You are good. I did not know I could make folders.

Let me know how to make folders please.

Also wouldn't all these folders download into the game at once? Or there is a partial download algorithm per access?