Search Unity

VERY irritating UI bug. Has anyone else experienced this?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by NPMGames, Dec 30, 2017.

1. NPMGames

NPMGames

So my game has a ton of UI elements, and I experienced one of the most annoying bugs a few days ago. I was editing a UI when I pressed 'apply' to apply it to a prefab, when then, suddenly, ALL of my UI elements IN THE ENTIRE SCENE got messed up, the position of EVERY SINGLE element got centered and their alignment got set to middle. I just about erased my project then and there, but instead I spent two entire days fixing every single one of my UIs. Then, just after I fixed them, I pressed apply on one of the prefabs, and IT HAPPENED AGAIN!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. GiMiTiUs

GiMiTiUs

Yes, many times. Almost every UI element is centered (not panels though, but UI elements inside it). And it is really annoying since it happens at least once a day. Last one was couple of minutes ago or that's when i noticed it. Still trying to figure out why this happens...

3. Mishaps

Mishaps

experiencing the same bug here. I'm 2017.3.0p1 on MacOS.

4. CyberJulien

CyberJulien

I have the same bug and I'm on 2017.3.0f3

5. GiMiTiUs

GiMiTiUs

I'm not sure but i think the bug is might be related to multiple canvases on scene. In my last message i said that "Almost every UI element are centered", so not all and that made me think. I had two canvases that used same settings (not counting the canvases that used world space), so i dragged all the objects from one to another then deleted the first one. After that no bugs. Still not sure if that was causing it though...

6. NPMGames

NPMGames

I'm on 2017.3.0f3 too, and I noticed it seems to only happen when I apply changes to a prefab in my case. I've also got two canvases in my scene but unfortunately I can't really combine them into one without breaking some stuff. Hopefully this gets fixed so I can actually work on my game again.

FunkyFancy likes this.
  7. Jack-Mariani

Jack-Mariani

I confirm this bug too. 2017.3.0f3, windows.

8. Redden44

Redden44

Have a similar bug too, I spawn the slots (buttons) for the bag in a grid, but with 2017.3 their positions are messed up and they all overlap on the same spot. The patch didn't fix it, now I'm going back to 2017.2.1p1.

I know it's hard work but I don't really get how they menage to mess the UI up with almost every update.

I also have another bug, I have an audio source that plays sounds even if it's muted.

9. FunkyFancy

FunkyFancy

Oh yeah i'm not the only one experiencing this :D
    I can confirm this bug for 2017.3.0f3 on windows

10. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Hey as a note the bug this bug i believe has been fixed as of yesterday and its working its way through the review process so hopefully will land soon (cant comment on the exact version and who knows things may happen). Watch for a release note related to case 977959.

11. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

I can confirm it happens to 2017.3.0p1 (Windows) as well

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Just ran into this. Took a while to figure out what was going on. It also affects hidden/disabled elements as well,

13. BigGreenPillow

BigGreenPillow

I have the same issue here, it doesn't seem to follow any predictable pattern, sometimes everything behaves as expected and enabling disabling any component in the UI can make things start to lose their correct position at random, we are using Unity 2017.3.0f3 and Textmesh Pro 1.0.56.0b2.

@phil-Unity: The fix for this issue you were talking about is not up yet, correct?

14. CDF

CDF

Looks like it's gonna be another week :(

15. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Same issue here. Made a serious mess of my project :/

16. adamt

adamt

Yeah, and this morning's patch release (2017.3.0p2) doesn't list the bug as being fixed. :-(

Menion-Leah likes this.
  17. CDF

CDF

18. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

That's even more annoying. We've got a big update that's scheduled for next month and this bug is a show stopper as I can't edit anything without breaking the entire front end.

19. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

If I drop back to the last patch of Unity 2017.2, I'm guessing I won't be able to take my 2017.3 updated project back to it? @phil-Unity: any workarounds for this?

20. adamt

adamt

I actually was able to downgrade to 2017.2.1p2 with my project that was upgraded to 2017.3.0p2. Aside from a couple of usual issues (like Android Gradle changes that seem to happen every. single. release), it was fine after the downgrade.

21. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

I just reverted to 2017.3f1 and all annoying bugs are gone (especially THIS). Note that you'll need to downgrade some plugins as well (TextMesh Pro, InApp Purchases, and so on)

22. CDF

CDF

Not sure if this works for anyone else. But I was able to apply changes to a prefab by:

- Selecting the root of the prefab in scene
    - Disable
    - Apply Changes
    - Enable root prefab through Project window

Seems to work in my case.

chengchonz and Seraphic572 like this.
  23. Glaswyll

Glaswyll

Didn't help in my case. Still reverts child panels to the top left corner even when enabling the prefab in the project window.

24. expressionpixel

expressionpixel

I am on 2017.3.0p2 and I am just not saving my prefabs until the fix comes out. It does put me on edge knowing that I am not keeping my UI prefab up to date but unless you want to move everything back, just work on other stuff. At the very least you can save your scene and know that the changes are saved in the scene file.

25. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Wow just wasted 8 hours on this bug, thought I was losing my mind. I must say, nearly every version of 2017 have been plagued with critical bugs, its really becoming frustrating.

Wothanar, CDF and Menion-Leah like this.
  26. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

I may have found a workaround. Clicking apply on the prefab always broke my layout but dragging the prefab over the prefab in the project seemed to preserve the layout.

27. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Nevermind, it only worked because I was working around the prefab bug by having it in the scene. If the prefab is deleted from the scene and copied back in the layouts will break again. Disabling the prefab in the project, then bringing it back into the scene, then enabling might work.

28. Glaswyll

Glaswyll

For now I'm saving changes to my UI prefabs with them enabled. Temporarily, I added a little helper class with a boolean named showOnAwake, dropped it on every UI prefab and marked them either true or false in the editor. Then when my UI manager attaches them to the container, I call SetActive(showOnAwake) after instantiating.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  29. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

I've rolled back to 2017.1f1 (the last version I had a working build in) and patched everything 2017.3 broke. We've lost 2 days of production and will only update Unity again after we're able to spend a day or so confirming that nothing else is broken in the system.

30. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

Totally agree with @Zwilnik
    Unity 2017.2 and 2017.3 have way too many critical issues to compensate the few benefits they should add.
    I've lost weeks trying to understand what's wrong with them, and I've been totally ignored by Unity staff, both in forums/answers and bug reporting tool.

Zwilnik likes this.
  31. jisomark

jisomark

Just updated to 2017.3p2, UI system completely unusable. We do need an eta on any possible incoming fixes to know if we have to downgrade or not.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  32. adslitw

adslitw

I've had some success disabling the canvas scaler on all canvases. I can now safely fix and apply changes to the UI prefab, so I'm just going to work with an unscaled UI until the fix comes along (hopefully in p3).

33. CDF

CDF

Yep. I don't know why all these UI changes were made. The UI was working perfectly fine in 2017.1. Been downhill ever since.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  34. Nigthwatch

Nigthwatch

I downloaded 2017.3 a few days ago and I'm wishing I hadn't done so. This UI bug, it's wasting so much of my time!
    This was supposed to have been fixed in for the RC if I read correctly back in December.. I know it's been the holidays etc. but can we please get some movement on this

35. adamt

adamt

I feel like we're being punked here. 2017.3.0p3 just came out and the bug still isn't listed in the release notes, even though its issue tracker page says it has been fixed. Lordy.

jhow77 likes this.
  36. CDF

CDF

I guess fixing the decimal point button on old samsung devices is more important.

Not even an official workaround posted. Nothing.
    Just the entire UI prefab system broken. Meh, No biggie.

Menion-Leah and jhow77 like this.
  37. jhow77

jhow77

This bug is driving me nuts! I'm using 2017.3.0f3 and can't figure out how to update my complex prefabs without them breaking! The worst part is I can't even tell if the Unity team is even paying any attention to it.

Related Links:
    • Issue 968969 - Incorrectly closed and addressed as a "Duplicate Issue" for Issue 966172, which has a priority of 2, severity of 3. If you can please vote for the issue and post a comment.
    • Issue 964111 - Closed and noted as "Fixed", which it obviously is not. Or else, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    • Issue 977959 - Closed and noted as "Fixed", which it obviously is not. Or else, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Can somebody on the Unity team atleast confirm that this is being addressed?!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Zwilnik likes this.
  38. jhow77

jhow77

According to the OP of this post, "seems to happen to objects that are 3 or more levels deep in the prefab hierarchy".

Can anyone confirm that this is true?

39. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ditto. We just did this today, moved down to 2017.2.1p2. No major hitches, and we have useful prefabs back. Also noticed that editor performance is better when working with UI.

adamt likes this.
  40. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Don't know if this will help, but what I was doing was only editing prefabs in an empty scene. Regardless of the complexity, they didn't seem to break.

Also, in a few cases, I could edit a prefab and hit apply and reload the scene without saving it, and things would be ok. So: Save > Apply > Double click on same scene in Project window > Don't save changes.

Obviously neither is ideal, but it let me keep (slowly) working despite this bug.

jhow77 likes this.
  41. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Only thing that worked for me was to downgrade to 2017.1. Any workarounds I discovered would randomly fail and break the entire UI eventually.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  42. BigGreenPillow

BigGreenPillow

On our project this seems to be completely random, every time we activate or deactivate something there is a chance one or more components will break when applying changes to the prefab, sometimes nothing breaks, sometimes the same component that was having issues stop breaking and something else decides to lose its position.

For now we are avoiding applying changes to UI prefabs.

firejerm likes this.
  43. Guirao

Guirao

Same issue on 2017.3.0p3

44. Wahooney

Wahooney

As someone who is paying a monthly subscription that was peddled to us as a means to ensure faster updates, I find this completely unacceptable. I've been spinning plates trying to fix issues caused buy this bug and after 5 hours of constant grind nothing is fixed. Each time I fix one layout a layout I've already fixed breaks.

This has been an issue since uGUI was a thing and it just seems to be getting worse.

It's unacceptable.

Stop focussing on XR and fix the features that 99% of your users are actually using and relying on.

45. adslitw

adslitw

46. carsanlop

carsanlop

I encountered this after upgrading to 2017.3. One of my UI windows was all messed up, so I tried to fix it, and upon hitting "Apply", some elements auto-centered. After reviewing everything for rogue layouts or anything like that, and with it happening on other elements, I went to the internet and came across a few threads like this.

Fortunately, I saved a copy of my 2017.2 project and going back was as easy as renaming a folder. But I think this is a pretty severe bug, it could effectively stale a project relying heavily on UI.

47. enchiridion

enchiridion

Can confirm still happens in 2017.3.0p3

We are working on a massive title and we cannot have silly things like this delay our deadlines, Unity! Please fix asap!

Torantulino likes this.
  48. tomerpeledNG

tomerpeledNG

Any update or workaround?

49. toshbaird

toshbaird

Also looking for an update. We need this fixed bug to be in a patch ASAP. At least give us an ETA!

50. snlehton

snlehton

Just ran into this in Unity 2017.3.0p3.

The repro is simple:
    • Create an empty UI prefab
    • Add TMP Dropdown in it
    • Apply prefab
    • The dropdown items and the scrollbar are now broken in the prefab