Search Unity

Question Very glossy terrain

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DrakeTrueslayer, May 28, 2023.

1. DrakeTrueslayer

DrakeTrueslayer

I did some research on the matter, and apparently it may have something to do with the fact that Unity defaults to maximum glossyness or smoothness or w/e if there is no alpha channel for the texture. It has to be black for it to remove the glossyness.

This only happened after I transfered the project over to my desktop, where it was originally made in my laptop, with the textures smoothness all the way down.

As you can see wit the image i attached, the dirt looks very glossy/shiny.

So, anyone know how to use gimp or some software to add an alpha channel to the texture in order to get rid of that glossyness?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

3. DrakeTrueslayer

DrakeTrueslayer

I've googled it, and I've played around d with gimp alpha channels, with no luck. I'm probably not doing something specific in order for it to work in unity?

Coming here was a last resort.

But I will see whwt that link provides later...

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Excellent! Now we've got a problem. First, I don't even know if what you say is true (alpha->smoothness).

Since you provided no link I figured, hey, I have no idea, let's test it!

I made a texture using Gimp that I could put on a Terrain.

I edited the texture so it had only part of it non-alpha

I dropped it on the Terrain and lo and behold: SMOOTHNESS CONTROL! The middle area is glossy, the rest of it is matte. The word "KURT" is also glossy. Check it:

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 12.20.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 12.25.08 PM.png
    I airbrushed the central blob and then used the Text tool for KURT

Enclosed find the entire project folder, including XCF file that generates the above texture, also enclosed.

Attached Files:

5. DrakeTrueslayer

DrakeTrueslayer

I will do some tests with that when I get home from work after 10pm or later on my lunch break when i remote into my desktop from work. It's 3pm where I'm at right now.

For my search results, this was the link I found most helpful for what I think is my issue. I typed in Google, "unity terrain shiny"

https://community.gamedev.tv/t/my-terrain-looks-too-shiny/22677

And I forgot to mention that the smoothness is already set to 0 on the smoothness level on the asset I'm using called "Gaia." On the texture paint tab for the terrain.

Really appreciate the help so far

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  6. DrakeTrueslayer

DrakeTrueslayer

holy S***, I think that TerrainSmoothness Unity package file you gave me might have actually fixed it somehow. its no longer smooth/shiny looking.

Thanks so much, youre a real bro.

Attached Files:

Kurt-Dekker likes this.