Search Unity

Very far from $6-$12 eCPM

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by mindfulmx, Mar 20, 2018.

1. mindfulmx

mindfulmx

Here are my numbers:
    2800 impresions
    $1.34 Revenue
    $0.48 eCPM

(on my phone saids: 2906 started videos and 2119 finished)

very far from 6-12 eCPM (and not too far from 5000 impresions)

is this normal??

Attached Files:

2. FinalDaniel

FinalDaniel

Sadly, it is. It should improve a bit with more impressions, but probably not by that much. At this point I doubt anyone is actually getting Unity's self-advertised 6-12 eCPM. It seems the only way to make meaningful revenue off adverts at this point is to have massive impression numbers ( so massive download numbers)

I put UnityAds into an existing app a little over 2 weeks ago and I am generating ~6000-7000 Impressions a day now, all for reward videos, and have an unsteady global eCPM of ~$2.05.

From the look of the images you uploaded, I suspect your eCPM is considerably lower as most of your users are in Latin America. Your eCPM is supposedly based on what advertisers are willing to bid/pay for adverts in your app and that varies a lot based on location (among other hidden factors).

For comparison, here are my stats for the last 2 weeks - I'm getting an eCPM in the US of $4.02, but only $0.28 in Russia.

Attached Files:

3. mindfulmx

mindfulmx

Most recent numbers (2/04/2018)

5323 impressions :)
    $2.62 revenue :confused:
    $0.49 eCPM :(

Attached Files:

4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

My app is still in beta so my daily impressions are low, but as you can see it varies wildly depending on region.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 9.15.45 AM.png

Also be aware that ads pay based on conversions that the advertiser sets, Impression, click or install. Most, if not all of unity ads I would assume are per install. so you might get nothing for 500 impressions and then suddenly get an install worth $3.5.

But if you keep this in mind then you'll realise that it's not volume of impressions that counts, it's volume of users that counts. If I show 1000 ads to a single user, the chance that user will convert on any of those ads is small, if I show 1 ad to 1000 users, the chance any of those users might convert on those ads would be higher.

DaveMApplegate and mindfulmx like this.
  5. mindfulmx

mindfulmx

Thank you very much for your answer Antony-Blackett, it make some things clear for me.
    At this moment I have 2000 new users, and 950 active users (mostly from latinamerica),
    I will do a campaign in other countries and see results.

Thanks again!

Alan

6. danielburnitt

danielburnitt

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. What you are saying Antony-Blackett, is the way unity ads works, you monetize by the probability of a single user clicking on an ad? and if most of your impressions are generated from a handful of users, Unity decides that those impressions aren't worth as much as if your amount of impressions are coming from a higher number of users?

with my game

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Burninggames.Skyball

( discrete plug :) )

I have a handful of users making impressions generating me close to nothing in revenue. if those same number of impressions were generated from a larger user base then id be making more??

7. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

No, the value is whatever the advertiser is paying for. My assumption is that most will be paying on an install of their app or a click of their ad. Again my assumption is that hypothetically, you'll be more likely to generate say 100 clicks or installs from 1000 ads to 1000 users than 100 clicks or installs by a single user after 1000 ads.

8. danielburnitt

danielburnitt

yes. that makes sense. I just don't see why they can't make it where our revenue directly reflects our impressions

9. danielburnitt

danielburnitt

also I don't understand how the "last 24 hours" works. Ill have for instance like 100 impressions then the next hour ill look at it and its down to like 25 impressions.

10. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

They've answered that before. They sample your users, I think they said 1 in 20 or something like that. So the larger your user base, the more accurate it'll be as the more samples they'll have.

The last 24 hours is simply a report of the 'last 24 hours' I'm not sure exactly how it's measured if it's a rolling hourly measurement or it simply ticks over (resets) once per day.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to eCPMs day by day, they go up and down all the time. There are a lot of factors at work that contribute to it. What you should do is look at the long term averages, week by week, month by month. If you think Unity isn't performing then try implementing an ad mediator and try some different networks. You might find that different networks have better ads for your players as they might have geographically relevant ads or whatever.

But ultimately, if you don't have a large userbase, ads won't generate substantial income for you in the long term. I would focus on growing your player base before worrying too much about eCPMs.

11. danielburnitt

danielburnitt

well, guess I have to work on my user base. thanks Antony-Blackett. you have been really helpful

12. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

Thanks so much for sharing this. It's really helpful.

What game is this for? If at all possible, I'd love to play it and see how you've integrated the ads.

13. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

I'm considering implementing ads and am curious how you've implemented the ads in your game. What is your game? I'd love to test it if you don't mind.

14. danielburnitt

danielburnitt

I have skippable ads implemented every 3rd time you fail. and at some goals at the end of a level I put into the script to show a skippable ad. I put a button in my IAP menu for a non skippable ad that grants the player extra coin in game for watching it completely. I integrated within the code a function that prevents the player from attaining the in game currency unless they watch the ad completely. the game is still a bit buggy but the ads work fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Burninggames.Skyball

here's the link to mine

15. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

It's the beta data for Major Mayhem 2. It's only available in a few regions at the moment while we work through some bugs and final features.

danielburnitt likes this.
  16. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

I'll check it out today! : )

danielburnitt likes this.
  17. danielburnitt

danielburnitt

Thanks DaveMApplegate! Hope you like it. It's pretty fun. And it was fun to make.