Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter the 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes for a chance to win an Oculus Quest 2.
    Dismiss Notice

Very cool stuff in com.unity.media.utilities

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by PhilSA, Nov 14, 2019.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

https://bintray.com/unity/unity/com.unity.media.utilities

This came to my attention today. I'm seeing an "AtomicFreeList" and an "AtomicQueue" in there. Both of which are multiple-reader and multiple-writer according to the comments in the code

I'd like to know; is there any reason why we'd still want NativeList and NativeQueue instead of these? Are there any caveats? And do they require any specific [DisableSafeties] when using them in jobs?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. tertle

tertle

-edit- read further down

They use Interlocked.CompareExchange, Interlocked.Read etc

One of the objectives of the nativequeue/nativelist implementations was to avoid these.

3. PhilSA

PhilSA

I'm not too familiar with this. What was the reason for wanting to avoid them?

4. tertle

tertle

Performance, I'll see if i can find an early discussion

-edit-

base choice of words

5. PhilSA

PhilSA

So, could we say that these new Atomic collections are more geared towards ease-of-use than performance?

6. tertle

tertle

As they explicitly label the package as being unsafe I'm not sure they will be promoting use to the public.

"Low-level, unsafe utilities shared by various unity packages"

Seems more like a tool available if have a specific use case and you know what you are doing.

7. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I'm confused. I thought atomic operations are extremely fast and do not lock. That's the reason for using them...

8. tertle

tertle

Sorry I believe you are correct. Bad choice of words. Too early in the morning for me.

9. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

Atomics are faster than mutexes (mutexes are built on atomics) but they are not fast. From my limited understanding of x86, usage of atomics flush the store buffer (program order write queue) to the cache lines (roughly the penalty of a branch misprediction) and then the atomic could fail which leads to an actual branch prediction until it succeeds. During this process, none of the other threads can drain their store buffers. On top of this, once the atomic does hit cache, it then invalidates the cache line on all the other threads causing them to have to reload it. So when all the threads are off doing their own thing, an atomic operation is a little stall to the user thread and then all is well again. But when all the threads are trying to do atomics to the same memory, it becomes quite literally a memory traffic jam of epic proportions.

We had a discussion about the different containers and approaches to problems in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ecs-culling.742538/#post-4965926

Long story short, NativeList, NativeQueue, NativeStream, and IJobParallelForFilter are all really good options compared to trying to get crazy with atomics. The containers in this new library are for very special cases (and even then I'm still suspicious).

GilCat and tertle like this.
  10. tertle

tertle

unityunity