Search Unity

VertPaint - An affordable way to paint vertex colors on your meshes and much more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GlitchedPolygons, Oct 20, 2017.

1. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there, thanks for chiming in!
    See my answer above to @papazingo81 because it applies also to HDRP :)
    There will be an update soon concerning this, as it's highly requested..

2. kanu0009

kanu0009

Hello,

Great asset. Does it have tessellation or POM option in the shaders with height blending and also an option for adding detail normal map?

GlitchedPolygons likes this.
  3. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there, sorry for the late reply!
    No, I'm sorry to disappoint you. This is "just" a vertex color RGB value painter that happens to ship with a medium-sized collection of example blending shaders: it's not a full-fledged solution featuring the aspects you mentioned. Those advanced shaders you'd need to bring on your own :)
    But if you make use of the standard mesh vertex RGB values, you can still use VertPaint for painting these values in in a smooth way :)

Cheers
    -R

4. kanu0009

kanu0009

Thank you for the reply :). Do you have any plans in future to make it full fledged shader by any chance or will it be as it is for now?

5. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Yes, absolutely! There's even more on the roadmap, it's just that I'm currently very stressed out and barely find time to work on my Unity assets :/
    I always post everything I have immediately, no worries. :)

6. kanu0009

kanu0009

Thank you. Please find time to relax and enjoy yourself a bit. Work is always there :). Looking forward to it in future.

7. Exeneva

Exeneva

Hi, I have an interesting problem. I foolishly went with CTS for my terrain shader without realizing it has no vertical mesh blending.

I'm hoping to use this asset to paint the area where the rocks intersect with the terrain, that way there is a little bit of a grass texture blend with the rock. Is this possible with this asset?

8. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey, I'm so sorry! I didn't receive any notification of your post :|
    I suppose you already fixed this issue... But, for completeness' sake: yes. Yes it's possible, you would either have to assign a 2-way vertex color blend shader (height-based looks best) to the rock, or the terrain: then paint the other texture over the seam to hide it as good as possible. :)

9. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey devs,

I finally found the time to fix some of the most wanted entries on the VertPaint backlog. Here's what version 1.1 brings:

Improved painting performance, fixed minor bugs, introduced toggle for disabling brush gizmo blinking while resizing and generally cleaned up the codebase a lot.

Fixed bugs:

• Prevent accidental paint stroke from happening when orbiting the selected mesh with Alt + LMB
    • Fixed scene not being marked as dirty after applying the painted vertex colors to a mesh
    • Refresh template file paths in VertPaintWindow's OnFocus and on selection changed to allow renaming/moving templates while the VertPaint window is open.
    • Fixed "SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate is obsolete" error that appeared on certain editor versions.
    Other important infos:

• Dropped support for Unity 2017 and dinosaur 5.6 :)
    • Added support for Unity 2020 LTS
    • [OFF-TOPIC] We have a new website :D make sure to check it out! https://glitchedpolygons.com

10. Exeneva

Exeneva

You mean the 2-way vertex color blend shader provided with VertPaint? Does it work in URP?

11. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Yes, VertPaint includes both URP and HDRP compatible shadergraphs since v1.0.3 :)

Exeneva likes this.
  12. Rich_A

Rich_A

Can you please confirm this asset works fully for URP? Any specific instructions to set it up?

13. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Sure :)

I can confirm it works flawlessly in Unity 2020. Just use the correct shadergraphs for the specific rendering pipeline in use: there are variants for both URP and HDRP, as well as legacy.
    VertPaint per sé is just a mesh vertex RGB value painter: the included shaders are merely examples; you can use ANY shader with it if it uses vertex colors in some meaningful way. Even third party! :)

14. rf007

rf007

Hi there! It looks awesome, and quite promising!
    I do want to ask, does it allow more than 3 textures in a single (or multiple) mesh(es)? I noticed you have red, blue and green colors representing textures, but can there be more colors? Think of a mesh (simulating a terrain) with mutiple ground types (roads, dirt, grassy, muddy, and stony and much more).

Thanks in advance!

15. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there, thanks for asking before buying!

Yes, up to 4 materials per mesh are possible :)

Not more though - but: you get the full PBR's Metal, Smoothness, Heightmap and Ambient Occlusion channels for every material you want to blend.

Split your terrain so that you never have to exceed that limit, and to also benefit from the various other optimizations as well (such as occlusion culling, which will prevent rendering of terrain meshes that are occluded and/or not even visible, as well as frustum culling, which does the same for meshes that are outside of the camera's view frustum).

One single giant terrain mesh is bad for performance and uncomfortable for designing.

Hope I could help :)

rf007 likes this.
  16. r137

r137

Hi,

Is it possible to change preset colors alpha to zero. I am referring to these colors:
    2021-08-16 15_04_46-.png

Some shaders use alpha channel for 4th texture and currently all these preset colors have alpha value of 1. This makes them paint two texture at once.

17. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there,

Sure, you can do that by modifying the default value assigned by the preset color buttons inside the file "
    VertPaintWindow.InspectorGUI.cs
    ": starting at around line
    you have the assignment values from left to right. There you can set whatever color you want to the buttons :)

Let me know if you need further help with this!

Cheers, and good luck with your project!

r137 likes this.
  18. ysundawa

ysundawa

Hi..

Any detailed information about using it with URP?
    Is there any URP version of the Shaders?

Thanks.

19. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Yes, there are both URP and HDRP shader variants inside the
    Shadergraphs/
    folder that you may use instead of the legacy ones :)

Check out the Release Notes PDF file inside the documentation folder for more details

20. ysundawa

ysundawa

Noted, thanks for replying :)
    Will check .

Thanks.

21. r137

r137

Hi,

Thanks for this great plugin. It is much easier and useful then alternatives.

I have a issue with alpha channel painting. I am trying to paint alpha channel like color channels. Let's say I fill all the mesh red so all vert colors are set to (1,0,0,1). I want to paint alpha channel to 0 with brush. I guess this is not currently available. When I set alpha color to 0 from vertpaint window it behaves like brush opacity and does not change the vertex alpha channel when I try to paint.

Is this a bug? If not can I change this behavior?

edit:

I think I solved the issue by changing this line.

2021-09-14 23_55_49-GitHub Desktop.png

I hesitated to look at the code but then I tried and It was so simple to find :D . I am not sure why this is not the default behavior but at least it is very easy to change.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    ratking likes this.
  22. eduroam

eduroam

Hi, nice plug in.

But I see that you can't add (sum) colors?. What I mean, if I have some vertices in blue, I don't see an option to add any other color in the blue ones. The plugin works in Replace mode.

Could be possible considered, Add mode, in order to Mix colors.

Regards, its exactly the p[lug in that I was looking for, but the Replace color mode limited the use that I need.
    Eduardo

23. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Ayye, thanks for the comment :)

That's correct, additive mix-in is not a thing yet. I just added it to my backlog for the next update.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to work on it at the moment, I'm really sorry. I hope VertPaint can still be of use to you, and wish you lots of success for your project :)

24. Scorpio2209

Scorpio2209

Hi,
    I just bought your asset and tried to use it on last LTS version (2022.3) on a URP project, but all the shaders you propose seems to have a problem. They all appears in pink.
    What can i do to make it work? I tried to read your documentations but there is nothing to help...
    Thanks

25. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there,

Yes, on URP and HDRP the built-in rendering pipeline based shaders do not work and appear pink :)

You should use the included shadergraphs instead: let me know if you find them and if you can get it to work.

iirc there are example scenes for URP too

Cheers

26. scarletsnake

scarletsnake

Hey there!

I've recently found this wonderful asset and I'm quite interested in it, to implement it within my game project, but I have a few questions.

I'm using the built-in renderer with Standard Shaders. Would this tool fit in with my workflow? Or do I have to switch to a new renderer? I know you've answered a few similar questions here before, but I would just like to get some clarification regarding the built-in renderer specifically.

My game takes place in an urban environment so there will be no terrain(s) to work on. I want to use this tool to add decals, decay, mold and grafitti textures onto static building meshes. Would you recommend this tool for this purpose?

And finally, one of my biggest goals is to have my game run on "ancient" hardware :) Right now I'm adding the detail textures via simple alpha mapped planes. Would this tool affect performance in any significant way during runtime, i.e. when playing the game?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions :)

Kind regards;

JC

27. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey there, thanks for asking before buying.

Yes, VertPaint does work with all of the currently supported rendering pipelines, including the built-in standard one. But for the requirements that you stated above, unfortunately I don't think that VertPaint would be that good of a fit.

For the performance considerations I'd rely entirely on benchmarking, and follow a strict "react instead of act" policy: only optimize when the need arises. Otherwise you'd be prematurely optimizing
    various execution paths of your project.

VertPaint is not a decal solution. At least, not directly.
    It's a vertex color painting utility that just happens to ship with numerous example shaders for blending materials based on vertex RGB information.

You can blend a concrete wall material with a stain material for example, and that would look like a decal, but not in the traditional sense of having alpha-mapped, mesh-based decals that wrap around the topology of the underlying mesh. It's rather a different approach for blending multiple materials on a single mesh.

For example: with a traditional decal you can create stains, splats, etc... on a per-spot basis using the alpha approach. With VertPaint you'd instead blend the stain material into the floor material. It's not the same thing, and certainly not the same effect. Here's a visualization:

upload_2023-10-10_19-58-47.png

upload_2023-10-10_20-2-22.png

upload_2023-10-10_20-10-25.png

[EDIT] (first gif does not seem to work in the forum)

I hope I could help clarify the difference and I wish you good luck with your project! :)

scarletsnake likes this.
  28. scarletsnake

scarletsnake

Hey there,

Wow, that pretty much answers all my questions and more! Thanks for taking the time to go into such details...
    I need to contemplate a few other homemade options, but I believe I could use this asset to break some of the monotony and give individual characteristics to similar surfaces.

29. jacklynkollie

jacklynkollie

every time I import and try to use the material is pink, I tried a brand-new project, but the material is pink, I'm using unity 2021.13.3, URP.

Attached Files:

30. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

That material is for the built-in RP, for URP the correct material is under Shadergraphs/VertPaint/etc... :)

scarletsnake likes this.