Search Unity

Vertics for Main Character in Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by sansuno68, Jun 2, 2020.

1. sansuno68

sansuno68

I've been working on my character for around 2 months and I wanted to import it to unity, but a friend told me there are to many vertics my character currently has 500'000 vertics and its going to be a game for computers is this to much and what would be a good amount of vertics for a main character in a more or less open world game?

2. Olmi

Olmi

There will be probably many opinions what is a good amount - Depends a lot on the game and the platform you're going to run your game on. If it's pc, then it's a more flexible scale, but still I'd use common sense. And as you said it's an open world game, you probably are looking for camera angles similar to GTA or whatever else 3rd person game, or a first person view. If it's your hero character, you probably want have more budget for it, and if it's some enemy, most likely less, especially if the model is going to appear as many copies in your scenes... If it's a game where you never see more than 3-4 characters on screen, you could have a lot higher poly count for enemies too, but if you're going to have crowded scenes with tens of characters, then you need to think a lot more about the performance. Then those first person "severed limbs" are another issue, you would probably use separate models than a whole character.

Anyway. That vertex count of 500k makes me ask, how familiar are you with realtime models? Sounds like you're trying to bring a ZBrush model to Unity... (well, a low res such.) For details, you still need to most likely use normal mapping and a lot lower mesh resolution, depending on your art style, or if you go for pure geometry, you need to optimize your meshes. Look into tutorials and videos about creation of realtime models, maybe check Polycount and some other places where you find good information on mesh optimization and industry standard workflows etc.

That being said, If you got tons polygons that are the size of pixel on your screen, then you probably need to do some work on your model to reduce the poly count. In any case that 500k (be it vertices or polys) sounds awful lot. I'd imagine something between 10k-100k polys is the correct range for a hero character, depending on the platform... (most likely closer to the low end of that spectrum.)

3. sansuno68

sansuno68

Thanks for the answer sadly its cause of the hair and I cant find a good haif tutorial without the hair its currently 13'000 vertics do u have a tutorial for making low poly hair?

4. Olmi

Olmi

There's many hair tutorials out there. Just search for it. Use keywords like realtime hair, plane hair etc.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@sansuno68 Olmi is right.
    For an open world game, 500,000 might be way to much for a main character, even if the game is for a powerful PC. Worse if it's 500,000 tris or quads. That amount would be better used for an enviroment.

Even if you used 500,000 for a main character, the enviroments would have to be two or three times that amount, to match and fit with the details of that main character. Enemies or other characters, might be 300,000 or 400,000 each, and if you have alot of enemies or other characters onscreen, that would be too much for even a high level PC to run. 40,000 or 80,000 or a bit more, might be a better amount for a main character, in an open world game.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020