Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro Vertical Text

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by dk257, Jul 7, 2019.

1. dk257

dk257

Hi, from what I understand Freetype has vertical glyph metrics that properly denote how to display vertical text for languages such as Japanese, Chinese, etc. It would be great to have vertical text in TextMeshPro as this would add so much more proper rendering of cultural narratives, etc.

The inability to support vertical text and only horizontal text loses a big amount of expression that's possible, and I personally don't feel it should be too difficult a feature to implement.

This is also a feature that Unreal is still lacking on, thus would act as incentive to use Unity.

2. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Totally agree, I am creating Chinese exclusive games, this feature is important to me. Right now, I created my own script to rearrange the text from horizontal to vertical. However, symbols like "《" and "》" are still horizontal, I have to modify these symbols in my font file to vertical manually. So far, the support for Chinese language is bit lacking, and the UI system in general is the weakest part of Unity engine.

yanyoumo_unity likes this.