Search Unity

Vertical terrain features

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Primoz56, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Primoz56

Primoz56

Hi all,

So if i use a regular terrain object i can do almost everything, but i'm wondering how do i deal with cases where i have a directly vertical cut off. Say I have a terrain, and i want to 'cut out' a square to place a building halfway into the terrain.

Is it always handled with covering up with models or do i create a second terrain to handle this or whats the best way?

Can i just 'hide' a terrain tile or gradient - eg. dont draw the terrain between vertex 5 and 6?

Thanks,
    Primoz

chanfort likes this.
  2. Flavelius

Flavelius

Primoz56 likes this.
  3. chanfort

chanfort

Nice question. Yes, it seems like if you need cliffs or other vertical structures, it may need to use meshes to cover these areas, i.e. I quite like images in this thread which illustrates how mesh is fitted with terrain:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/add-density-to-vertical-terrain-to-avoid-texture-stretching.187478/

Holes alone won't do much, it's all about the way how you craft that mesh and how you make it to connect nicely with terrain in places where you need vertical structures.

I am still wondering if there might be nice ways of doing this fully procedurally :)

Primoz56 likes this.