Search Unity

Question vertical plane detection difficulty in real world. AR foundation

Discussion in 'AR' started by tree_arb, Nov 16, 2020.

1. tree_arb

tree_arb

I'm using AR foundation on a pixel 4 XL android phone (only tested on this model device)
    Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for getting an acceptable vertical plane for a difficult wall?

It seems not great at detecting vertical planes, compared to how well it does with horizontal planes. I do understand walls tend to be more empty.

This example of house siding, it just cannot pull a vertical surface on it at all. Moving all around, its only picking up the horizontal ground surfaces. Same with a blank-ish wall with light switch... the light switch is presumably too small to reference?

https://ibb.co/dQLd2jG

What does work well is vertical detection on a brick textured wall, or wall with a medium to large photo on it. I would think the siding would work though.

If I want to get a vertical plane on the wall to add doors/windows too, should I be possibly looking at having the user manually move/rotate the plane to confirm? Or are you not having this issue? Perhaps the user selects points and I simulate a plane from there? Or maybe i'm missing something feature for better detection.

Here is a wall that does work well, it pulls the plane because of this poster fairly quickly. What I want to do unfortunately, is to scan home siding for outdoor walls. like the earlier posted photo

https://ibb.co/Jn3zy0g

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

This is a common problem and, unfortunately, there is no build-in way to fix it.
    ARCore and ARKit rely on so-called feature points (rapid changes in color/contrast) to detect planes. And when there are not enough feature points, planes can't be detected.
    The only way to fix the issue is to use LiDAR scanner, iPad Pro 2020, and iPhone 12 Pro have it.

3. tree_arb

tree_arb

thank you, I was hoping there was a little trick to get around placing doors/windows on a wall. I would have thought it would pick up the horizontal siding but it does not.

So using this android phone at least, Im not seeing a good way to make use of doors, windows, photos hanging on a wall at all.

If I attached a virtual door to the floor plane that will work, but once moving around it floats a bit. I'm not too knowledgeable on anchors or reference points, but using the unity examples. The anchor on a floor plane floats just the same as any object i might place.

some youtube examples ive seen detect all planes better and faster, but they are using an iphone so that explains it a bit