Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Vertical Alignment in TextMeshPro stylesheet

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Buzzrick_Runaway, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Buzzrick_Runaway

Buzzrick_Runaway

It seems like we can only set the horizontal alignment in a TextMeshPro stylesheet. Is there a stylesheet tag for vertical alignment?
    I've tried all of the following, but none work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <align=bottom>
    2. <valign=bottom>
    3. <verticalalign=bottom>

2. karliss_coldwild

karliss_coldwild

I doubt that TMP currently supports that. The tags in stylesheet definition are the same as you can use in the middle of TMP text directly and potentially apply different formatting to each word or sentence. It doesn't make much sense to have multiple different vertical alignments in single block of text. What should happen if first half text is aligned to bottom and second half aligned to top? Swap places? Overlap?

I don't mean that having full styling control in stylesheet makes no sense, but it would require a somewhat different model of what stylesheets are how they work. But i might be wrong, maybe TMPro internals could deal with that and it's just the interface prevents changing it dynamically because with exception of few very specific cases it would make a mess.

Buzzrick_Runaway likes this.
  3. karliss_coldwild

karliss_coldwild

You might also want to take a look at the new unity UI toolkit instead of UGUI+TMPro. It's design is closer to how HTML layout and styling works. Since it deals with whole UI layout and styling not just text formatting, it might be better equipped to deal with such stuff.

Buzzrick_Runaway likes this.
  4. Buzzrick_Runaway

Buzzrick_Runaway

Thanks for the feedback. That makes sense about the styles needing to apply to single words/sentences.
    I was also looking to see if I could set the default vertical alignment to middle in the TMPro settings, which would be useful, but there doesn't seem to be much control there.
    I'd love to switch to the new UI Toolkit, but the current work I'm doing is supporting a legacy product.

That's all good though. I was hoping to be able to standardise the alignment in the stylesheets, but we'll just have to ensure we set them manually for each instance.