Search Unity

VertExmotion [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. YukkuriMikan

YukkuriMikan

Thank you, it's fixed perfectly!

2. kalagaan

kalagaan

You can export the texture in UV space from the tool ;)
    You'll have to convert it at runtime for each vertex, or you could use it in a custom shader by setting it in the shader instead of the vertex color.
    But I don't know if UMA will keep the original UVs... I think that there's a kind of optimization process for combining all the materials textures in a single one.

3. khos

khos

Hi, I am using vertxmotion to give some bodyparts a more realistic feel , but they are too wobbly for my liking, see sample vid:

Can anyone give me some ideas/pointers on how to make look a bit more realistic perhaps? Open to any ideas!

4. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hi,
    you should use more sensors on smaller areas, instead of a big sensor.
    have a look to the demos, there's some samples using characters. ;)
    You can also reduce the sensor motion range using the limits (inner/outer max distances)
    YOu can also decrease the 'Motion factor' if you need a smooth reaction to the object motion.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    khos likes this.
  5. Qleenie

Qleenie

Hey @kalagaan I have some issue with painting on a high poly model (>100K vertices). On higher materials / higher ranged vertices, it seems both wireframes and UV paint are broken.. So basically the first few 10K vertices work fine, but then it breaks. is there a vertex limit for the editor, maybe around 64K?

6. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,
    thank you for the feedback!
    It looks like this is a limitation of the Mesh collider :(
    I think that it can't use 32bit mesh, so the limit is 65535 vertices (16bits format).

The only way to use it is to split the 100k mesh into smaller parts and add the VertExmotion component on each of them.
    You can change the index format in the fbx importer (Auto -> 16bit), it will automatically split the mesh.

Sorry I don't have a better solution for now.
    Maybe there's a way to modify this limitation, I'll do more tests.

7. Qleenie

Qleenie

ah, got it. could you use one mesh collider per material or something like this? But in that case you probably would need to build the collider manually...
    Would it be possible to make the UV painting work in that case, or does it also rely on mesh collider?

8. kalagaan

kalagaan

OOps,
    It was a problem on my side!:oops:
    The format index was not properly set in the collider mesh :confused:
    I'll push a new version on the assetstore ;)

Please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) with your invoice number and I'll send you a fix!

Qleenie likes this.
  9. Qleenie

Qleenie

great, I sent a mail!

10. Wilfreed

Wilfreed

Hi @kalagaan,

I am new to VertExmotion, and I am trying to redo with Amplify some of the shaders present in the demo folder (within a URP renderer project), to understand how it is supposed to be setup, before making my own shader.

In particular I focused on the Dress demo scene.

But whatever I try, the motion I get with my Amplify version is different from the one with the original demo shader.
    For info I am using Unity 2020.3.3f1, but I have the same result in Unity 2019.4.10f1

Here is the Amplify test shader I made, inspired from the recommendations in the documentation:

upload_2021-4-13_18-33-17.png

And below the resulting motion I get with it (in green), compared to the original motion (in grey):

Dress_Amplify.gif Dress_OriginalDemo.gif

I've been experimenting for quite some time now and I run out of ideas,
    Am I missing something trivial here?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

11. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,

you have to add some transformation nodes (World to object) for URP/HDRP.
    Here a sample :

12. Wilfreed

Wilfreed

Works like a charm,
    Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

kalagaan likes this.
  13. Wilfreed

Wilfreed

Hi @kalagaan,

I have another question, related to edition:

I have a personal preference to edit all the VertExmotion objects using "Panel in inspector" (because of limited screen-space in my scene view).

But every time I open my scene and edit the same objects with the VertExmotion component on it, I have to redo that choice and to click on the button "Panel in inspector", and for every object.

Is there a way to make that choice sticky, so I can stop repeating that step?
    Or to make that choice the default edit mode for the whole project?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  14. kalagaan

kalagaan

The panel draw mode is saved per object, so it shouldn't be modified when the scene is reloaded.
    What is your version of unity?

15. Wilfreed

Wilfreed

I have the same outcome in Unity 2019.4.10f1, 2020.3.3f1, and 2020.3.6f1.

Saving the scene doesn't save that param for me in all these 3 unity versions.

16. kalagaan

kalagaan

That's weird... It works fine when I test it.
    Here how I did the test :
    - create a sphere
    - Add VertExmotion
    - Duplicate it in the scene view
    - Enable 'Panel in inspector' on one of them
    - Save the scene and reload it
    - When I select each sphere, one use the inspector and the other the scene view.

Do you use the latest version? 1.9.8 ?

17. Wilfreed

Wilfreed

Yes I use 1.9.8,

and I have mostly the same process as in your test above,
    the only difference I see is that I made a prefab of my VertExmotion object,
    and I manipulate instances of it in my scene.

18. kalagaan

kalagaan

ok, there's a problem with registering this var in the prefab.
    You can fix it like this :
    - set the panel in inspector
    - change the brush size (for registering a modification)
    - Apply the modification of the component to the prefab

Wilfreed likes this.
  19. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

Does vertexmotion have a discord, if not can anyone help me on this issue? I working with unity 2021.1.5f1. Thanks, for your time.

Also I was getting these warnings with it.

Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/LitTessellation': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(522) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/LitTessellation': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(523) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/LitTessellation': 'cross': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(524) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/LitTessellation': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(530) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/Lit': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/HDRP/LitDataMeshModification.hlsl(58) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/Lit': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(522) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/Lit': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(523) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/Lit': 'cross': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(524) (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/HDRP/Lit': implicit truncation of vector type at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotion.cginc(530) (on d3d11)

Attached Files:

20. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've tested VertExmotion with this version of unity, it works properly.
    Do you use the latest version (1.9.8)?

If you have already downloaded VertExmotion for an older version than 2020,
    you have to remove it manually from "C:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-x.x"
    Then download it again from the package manager.
    It will install a the VertExmotion package compatible with your current Unity version.

Note : The warnings will be fixed in the next version.

21. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

ah could be the issue. I did download vertexmotion on a older version of unity then I updated to 2021.1.5f1. I'll try your advice and see what happens.

22. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

what if I downloaded on 2020.3.6f1 and then I updated to 2021.1.5f1. Could that be the reason why I'm getting those errors?

23. kalagaan

kalagaan

No, if you have already downloaded a version from the package manager of Unity 2020.1 or later it should work.
    Could you try in an empty project?

24. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

I didn't get the same errors or warnigns but I did get these warnings.

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/VertExmotion/Demos/Droplet/DropletSpawn.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

Assets\VertExmotion\Demos\BakeMesh\VertExmotionBakeMesh.cs(41,21): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh is no longer supported. The new cooking algorithm doesn't need inflation to be used.'

ImportFBX Warnings:
    Mesh 'DrawCall_0118' has overlapping materials on two layers. Material(s) will be taken from lower layer(s).
    Mesh 'DrawCall_0121' has overlapping materials on two layers. Material(s) will be taken from lower layer(s).

Shader warning in 'Hidden/VertExmotion_editor': use of potentially uninitialized variable (o) at line 131 (on d3d11)
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/ShaderForge/test1': 'UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at :1. at line 29
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/ShaderForge/test1': 'UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at :1. at line 228
    Shader warning in 'VertExmotion/ShaderForge/test1': 'UNITY_PASS_SHADOWCASTER': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at :1. at line 363

25. kalagaan

kalagaan

These warnings cames from some demo scripts, you can delete the demo folder if you don't need it in your project.
    I'll fix them for a specific 2021 package.

26. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

So I manage to get rid of the errors by rebuilding my library. It got rid of the HDRP shader add on for vertex motion, I'm using HDRP Unity 2021.1.5ft with latest update of HDRP, I have a feeling the HDRP shader you have on the add on might not be up to date. The highest one you have on the add on for HDRP is 2020.2 for HDRP 10.2.2, should I reinstall that add on?

27. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, you can install this addon.
    It will provide the compatible shaders 'VertExmotion/HDRP/Lit' & 'VertExmotion/HDRP/LiTessellation'
    For these shaders you have to enable the Displacement Mode in the material ( 'Vertex displacement' or 'Tessellation Displacement' ).

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  28. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

I have everything installed now, my error is gone. I think everything is all well. I really appreciate your help, just a question does vertexmotion have a discord server?

29. kalagaan

kalagaan

No, but if you have any problems you can send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) for support ;)

30. Andresmonte

Andresmonte

hi, I plan to modify the LayeredLitTessellation shader to make it work with VertExmotion, and I was wondering if it was possible to make it work with Normal Correction as well, is this possible?

I have a lot of logic tied to LayeredLitTessellation shader so I can't just implement ASE and even if I did, I don't know the addon very well, so I think it's easier for me to just modify the LayeredLitTessellation shader.

I forgot to ask, can I make the displacement done by VertExmotion be applied before the HeightMap displacement?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  31. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'll work on new update for the HDRP shaders.
    In the current version I can't make the Normal correction work, because the tangent is missing in the fonction I used for including VertExmotion. I have to modify more files to make VertExmotion work with the normal correction, so I'm still working on a way to modify the less files as possible.

I think that I'll have to modify all the ShaderPass and modify 'VertMesh.hlsl'

By applying VertExmotion at the begining of the function VertMesh, it should work.

I'll probably work on this next week. ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Andresmonte likes this.
  32. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

I got rid of the errors, but I'm still getting these random crash it seems to only happen on the scene I have vertex motion on. I'm still looking into it more. I have one model on this scene with vertex motion. I deactivated her and I didn't get any crashes. I reactivated I get this random crash. I'm still doing so more texting to verify this.

33. Andresmonte

Andresmonte

So. I finally managed to implement VertExmotion with the LayeredLitTessellation shader, with Normal Correction as well.
    Unfortunately I had to copy and modify most of the files in the ShaderPass folder, so it is not scalable at all.

What I found, is that you don't need to implement VertExmotion in the Hull function, instead, you can make these modifications in the Vert function.
    I suppose it has better performance and is best complemented by Phong Tessellation

kalagaan likes this.
  34. kalagaan

kalagaan

Does the crash log have some references to a VertExmotion class?

35. kalagaan

kalagaan

I think that modifiying all the shader pass and the main shader file is the only way to make it work with normal correction.

Andresmonte likes this.
  36. Andresmonte

Andresmonte

Do you plan to implement more shapes for the sensors? A capsule-shaped sensor would be very useful to me, even if the maximum number of sensors were reduced to only 10. :)

37. kalagaan

kalagaan

It's already done :D
    you can link sensors, so it's a 'dual-sphere' capsule.

I should update the unlinked icon for the dark theme...
    It's not visible.

HERE a new icon

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Andresmonte likes this.
  38. mchung123

mchung123

Hey is there a way to adapt this to a shader that isn't a part of unity? I want to try this on the relation shader

39. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, there are some samples in the documentation.
    You can also use the nodes for Shadergraph or Amplify Shader Editor.

If you have some problems with a shader conversion, please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) with your invoice number, and I'll help you ;)

40. minad2017

minad2017

hi.
    Since I moved the development environment to Unity2020, I tried enabling SSAO of URP,
    SSAO worked fine, but VertExmotion's URP Lit shader didn't reflect the effects of SSAO.
    I considered importing the latest VertExmotion Pro
    The "VertExmotion_URP_Lit_2019.3-URP_7.18.unitypackage" that comes with the package is what I own, so I stopped updating it.
    Is there a way to solve this problem?

unity2020.3.10f1
    vertexmotion pro 1.9.7

41. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'm working on an update, it will be available in the next version. ;)
    if you want an update of the addon before the official release, please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) with your invoice number.

42. minad2017

minad2017

Thanks for the quick response!
    I am also using VertExmotionSupport in Toony Colors Pro, will this be fixed too?

43. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'll fix the URP shaders based on the Lit version of Unity, I don't know if Toony color is compatible with the URP SSAO.

44. minad2017

minad2017

I understand, I'll look into the Toony color.

Do you have a date for the next update?
    If the SSAO bug can be fixed by just replacing the Shader, I'd love to try it.

45. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'll update the version next week.
    If you send me an email with your invoice number, I'll send you the addon for the URP shaders ;)

46. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

@kalagaan
    hi,
    i couldn't found any description on docs to how to implementing shader codes on URP shaders ...
    so, any suggestion?

47. kalagaan

kalagaan

There's an addon for URP in the package, it provide compatible versions of the lit and unlit shaders.
    You can also use the shadergraph addon and add the VertExmotion node to your shader.
    If you have issues with a specific shader, please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com), and I'll help you ;)

48. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

thanks for your response ...
    i'll send that shader to you ;)

49. Qleenie

Qleenie

Hey, another question regarding the issue: Now that painting on big meshes works with your fix, the UV painting functionality does not seem to work anymore. Is this something which you'll fix with the upcoming release?

50. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, the UV painting tool will be fixed in the next version (1.9.9) ;)

hopeful likes this.