Search Unity

VertExmotion [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. adamz

adamz

Hi, so 'VertExmotion_editor' does exist and rebuilt it. No luck. Tried it in a new scene, no luck.

Created a new project, 2019.2.1f1.
    It has Shader Graph 6.9.0.

Here are the steps I took with the new scene:
    Installed latest VertExmotion.
    Imported 'VertExmotion_ShaderGraph_5_13'
    Opened the Shader Graph 'VertExmotion_HDRP_Metallic'
    I get the following error:

screenshot.png

The 'VertExmotion_HDRP_Metallic' preview is pink, and when I add it my a capsule mesh the mesh vanishes.

Tried the same things with 2019.3 as above, shader is not pink, but when I assign VertexMotion to a mesh, I get this result:

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I opened my original scene and it looks like if I shut off the lighting in the Scene View using the light-bulb icon on that Scene View window, it works correctly. When I enable lighting it had some transparency issues, both within the Scene View and in the Game windows.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. kalagaan

kalagaan

You could replace the suggraph in the shader.
    - open the shader with ShaderGraph
    - open the subshader (double click)
    - copy the nodes
    - in the shader graph, delete VertExmotion_SubGraph
    - paste the nodes and connect the output to the 'Position' input of the PBR Master node
    - Save the shader

It should look like that :

3. rmorph

rmorph

I wonder if you could give me a bit of advice?

I'm currently building my game character around a really great figure called Ariana.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/ariana-character-118803

The author developed in Unreal engine and it is already set up ith bones/animations and for morphs for speech etc.

I'm looking for an easy way to offer character facial customizations: Mainly facial features etc.. basically sliders that a player could use in a simple character setup screen to make small adjustments to cheeks ears eyes etc..

From reading around I understand I basically have two option: Shader manipulation (Vertexmotion for example) or morphs (Polymorph). Either way, you have a product for it - which is great :)

Since I'm just a beginner I would just like advice on what you think would be the best way to do this. Or if it's even practical. I think it seems like a small task - but am I mistaken? character customization tools don't exactly seem to be a very common asset to find so maybe I'm not seeing a complexity issue?.

Also I purchased your spacesuit character and am very happy with it: I'm trying to merge it with Ariana to give her a spacesuit and so far it looks pretty good.

Thanks for great products!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. kalagaan

kalagaan

You can use the unity API in a custom script to control the blendShapes of your character (Ariana), or you could control and mix them with BlendShape preset tool ;)

I don't think that you'll be able to mix the Ariana character with the space suit :(
    the skelettons of each characters won't be the same and the animations won't work properly.

Edit : OOps, it looks like the Ariana character use a face rig, there's bones instead of blendshapes... so BlendShapes preset tool won't work with it... :confused:
    You should contact the author for more information about the face rig.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. hopeful

hopeful

If you haven't yet, perhaps you should take a look at UMA? It seems in line with what you are looking for.

6. rmorph

rmorph

Thanks Kalagaan - once I sized up the spacesuit char the bones were pretty close so Im gonna have a go and hopefully it wont look too wierd :)

Thanks hopeful - I've been checking out UMA but the model import part seems a bit beyond my skill level. I will check out if its possible to find someone to do it for me for a reasonable price :D

7. hopeful

hopeful

Importing can be tricky, but once you get the settings right - just once - you're good to go. It's best to do something small and really pay attention to the importing. After that, you should be golden.

8. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Hello fellow vertex motion users!
    I have a strategy question on how to approach something:
    I have a character that will sit on a sofa or a bed.
    The bed should bend under the character, but this is less trivial than it sounds.

STRATEGY 1

I tried adding a grid of sensors and vertexmotion colliders to the bed, this works on paper but it leaves a lot of dead zones between vertexmotion colliders, making it look softer in some spots, harder in others.
    upload_2019-9-18_11-53-30.jpeg

I tried adding intermediate colliders, but it looked like they were fighting with the other colliders, making the mesh jump-deform as soon as another collider was triggered.

I tried with small vertexmotion colliders, but as soon as the sphere collider would cross their center, they reset...

STRATEGY 2

I tried adding to the bed a vertexmotion sensor with an inflate setting or a Y displacement setting, I then attached to the character's pelvis bone, this works for deformation very close to the body, but not to flex the bed generally:
    Untitled 10.jpg
    as soon as I enlarge the sensor to grab more vertexes, to bend the bed more smoothly, the sensor triggers the deform too early.

Did anyone have a similar issue and how did you solve it?
    Thank you!

9. kalagaan

kalagaan

I think that you have to use thre strategy 2 with a custom script.
    You should change the sensor range (or the 'distance power' parameter) according to the distance between the pelvis and the top of the bed.
    Have a look to the 'tire demo', the deformation is made with a lerp between 2 structures of parameters ('Tire ok' & 'Tire Flat'). in this demo I use a raycast to check the ground position, but in your case you could check if the pelvis is contained in the bounding box of the bed, and you could check the Y axis offet between the top of the bed and the pelvis position.

I hope that it will help you ;)
    If you still have issues you can send me an email.

10. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Awesome! I am passing this to the programmer! You are surprisingly active, and very kind! Thank you again!

kalagaan likes this.