Search Unity

VertExmotion [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello,

I just updated to 2017.3 and updated vertex motion thinking it will fix an old problem I was having when using 5.6.3, but its still there.

The problem is that when I start painting the character that vertex motion generates and I'm suppose to paint is 3-4 times bigger than my own character, so I cannot even see what I'm painting unless I start painting and watch my character. This is taking me a long time to do it, so hopefully there will be a fix.

Also, I had old sensors that were changing the structure of the mesh when a small collider touches it, but now this small collider won't trigger them unless I make it a lot bigger but the effect is not the same as before. I see that the painted part is the same and the sensors are covering it in green.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hi,
    could you check if the scale of your character (SkinnedMesh Renderer) is set to 1,1,1 ?

3. skinwalker

skinwalker

Yes the SMR is 1-1-1, the character root game object is 2.37, 2.37, 2.37.

Edit: If the root game object is also 1-1-1 then the projected character is with a proper scale

4. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback,
    I'm working on a fix ;)
    If you need a version before the next release, please send me an email with your invoice number.

5. skinwalker

skinwalker

Can you help me to fix the bug Im having with the soft body colliders first?

Once I updated to the latest version, the collision is not doing anything, unless I increase the colliders radius and the collider (in vertex motion editor) position. It has the same sensor as before, same position but for some reason it's not working with the old settings.

6. kalagaan

kalagaan

The paint bug is fixed ;)
    It could be the layer mask in the collider settings, it should be set on 'everything' by default.
    Could you send me an email with some sceenshots of your settings, or a link to a sample scene?

7. skinwalker

skinwalker

I mean its not like its not working at all. It works but I have to increase the collider size. I think if it was a layer issue it wouldnt work no matter whats the radius of the collider.

8. skinwalker

skinwalker

The layer mask on the collider settings is set to be the same layer that my collider has. Everything else is 1:1 the same as before, the area of the object is painted properly and the sensor properly marks the green area that should be affected. Maybe the newest version breaks my old setup.

9. kalagaan

kalagaan

What was the previous version of the VertExmotion package?
    I did a modification on the collision zones for VertExmotion 1.4.7.
    Before 1.4.7 the collision zone didn't react to the scaling of its parent.

10. skinwalker

skinwalker

It was 7-8 months old version. I loaded a backup and the only thing I did was replaced the shaders folder with the shaders folder from the new version and still got the same problem where my collider is not detected as before. If I only replace the VertexMotionStandard then the character gets split into pieces (where the materials are)

11. kalagaan

kalagaan

The new version has some different inputs for the shader, so you have to use the shaders and scripts from the same VertExmotion package. I'm checking the collision system. ;)

12. skinwalker

skinwalker

Okay, I don't remember the old version I am using but its downloaded in June 2017.

I only wanted to update because in unity 2017.3 Im getting this error using the old version

Shader error in 'VertExmotion/Standard': 'vertShadowCaster': cannot convert output parameter from 'float4' to 'struct VertexOutputShadowCaster' at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotionStandardShadow.cginc(32) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_DEPTH _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

13. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you,
    it looks like there's a bug on the UI display and the real collision zone.
    I'm working and a fix and some optimizations, I'll push a fix to the asset store asap ;)

14. skinwalker

skinwalker

Okay, can I get the asset once the bug is fixed because I suppose it will take at least a week before it's available and I have deadlines. I can send you a message here with one of my invoices (I bought it 2 times for different accounts).

15. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, send me a pm with the invoice and I'll send you a version ;)

16. SammmZ

SammmZ

Hey! I'm using a Unity 2017.3.0f3 and latest VertexMotion from asset store. I'm trying to implement VertexMotion to the object with 10 materials (and using a texture instead of painting weights). But Material ID switch from the VM panel freezing the editor deadly :confused:

Here is a little video, showing how it's happen.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    twobob likes this.
  17. kalagaan

kalagaan

this bug has been fixed in the version 1.6.7 ;)
    I see in the video that you're using the version 1.6.4,
    so you should update to the latest version (1.6.8) :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    SammmZ likes this.
  18. twobob

twobob

Shader error in 'VertExmotion/Standard': 'vertShadowCaster': cannot convert output parameter from 'float4' to 'struct VertexOutputShadowCaster' at Assets/VertExmotion/Shaders/VertExmotionStandardShadow.cginc(32) (on d3d11)

Guess it never made it to store yet?

19. kalagaan

kalagaan

I did some tests on different versions of unity (including 2017.4 & 2018.0b13) and there's no shader errors.
    What is your version of unity?
    Did you update VertExmotion to 1.6.8?

20. skinwalker

skinwalker

I also had that error when I updated from 5.6.3 to 2017.3 so you should just go to the asset store and update to the newest version of VertexMotion.

kalagaan likes this.
  21. twobob

twobob

1.6.8 on beta 18.2b1
    Yes I updated -

FIX in Answer below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  22. twobob

twobob

Okay - I thought I had fixed it .
    I SPECIFICALLY DELETED the shader file.
    THEN reimport. No error appeared until the end of the play.

then it did.
    upload_2018-4-19_22-0-54.png

and GAH. Yup the Jellies are indeed pink

upload_2018-4-19_22-2-59.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  23. twobob

twobob

Further testing shows that compilation error report does not always make it to the Console (After a Clear on Play)
    But the Jellies are indeed always pink
    upload_2018-4-19_22-45-8.png

It could just be a beta thing. Dont sweat it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  24. Invertex

Invertex

Are there any plans to support capsule push/pull objects? The computational complexity isn't significantly greater than spherical and it opens up a lot more capability, not to mention people would be able to get away with a lot less spheres in place of a few capsules, offsetting some of that computational cost.

25. kalagaan

kalagaan

There's some weird behavior with this beta version, you have to modifiy the shader file to force the compilation. :confused:
    I'll write a fix for this version of the standard shader.
    if you have deleted the standard shader, the material has a null shader, so the model is pink :p

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    twobob likes this.
  26. kalagaan

kalagaan

That could be interresting to link 2 sensors, so the vertices inside the capsule (dual-spheres) could be modified according to the both deformations. I'll think about it ;)

Invertex likes this.
  27. Anon32

Anon32

So I've been having weird collision issues with a specific game object. I finally figured out why I couldn't pass through it. My game object was actually a model object, how you can tell is by the icon in the inspector is blue box but with a white rectangle file. So by making the model object a prefab a new component displayed, a mesh collider....o_O The file was from an older version of unity.

---

For the interaction script, the target cant be changed during play time. Reference remains even if removed or altered. Is that intended? One target seem very limited.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  28. kalagaan

kalagaan

Sorry, I don't understand what is your problem with the mesh collider... :confused:
    Please send me a sample and I'll help you ;)

The Interaction script is a sample script, the sensor is added to the target in the Start function.
    So if you want to change the sensor at runtime, you have to remove the sensor from the previous target and add it to the new one.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void ChangeTarget(VertExmotion newtarget)
    2.     {
    3.         if (m_target != null)      
    4.             m_target.m_VertExmotionSensors.Remove(m_sensor);
    6.         m_target = newtarget;
    8.         if (m_target != null)
    9.             m_target.m_VertExmotionSensors.Add(m_sensor);
    10.     }

29. Anon32

Anon32

To clarify, I was having collisions between my player and a model object. I thought it was inherent from using your vertex shader that objects get a collider (even though I didn't see one). But it turned out that there was a mesh collider not shown with the other components until I made it a prefab. I thought I would leave this here for others to see in case they have this issue.

--

Ah, no worries for the Interaction script, I'll modify it as needed :D

---

I'm wondering if anyone has used the wind zone or created a script that could effect all or several objects with the shader?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  30. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@kalagaan

I replied to your message. When I assign my shader to my Mesh and launch the VertExmotion menu, I get a warning that Im not using a VertExmotion shader. Here is my shader. Thoughts? Thanks!

Attached Files:

31. kalagaan

kalagaan

The shader name has to start with 'VertExmotion/' to disable the warning. ;)
    This is a simple check, when you know that your shader is compatible, you don't have to worry about this warning. :p

32. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Hi, so I can't enter Paint mode unless I rename the shader to start with VertExmotion. I would prefer to not have to do that to keep my shaders organized. Anyway that's possible? Thanks!

33. kalagaan

kalagaan

Just toggle "Don't check shader compatibility" and the paint mode will be unlocked ;)

34. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Too easy... thanks!

35. Anon32

Anon32

With the fast support of Kalagaan I was able to combine VertExmotion (interaction sensors) with Advance Foliage Shader (wind zone and touch bend) in my Toon Color pro shader!:D

The document explained pretty well how to integrate his shader. I was able to apply what I learned and add AFS vertex function. There was a bug getting the shaders to play nice together, and he fixed it within a day. Legend.:cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  36. Harekelas

Harekelas

Just bought it, can it also be able to simulate cloth movements?

37. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes you can simulate cloth on small area, have a look to the characters demo.
    The pant of the zombie is animated.

38. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I was looking for something to animate a flag on a game being developed for the PS4 and had a few questions.

First off, can you manually specify forces for the interaction or is it all movement based? With a stationary flag, I would need to be able to supply wind information to start the animations.

Secondly, are there any known issues with the PS4?

Lastly, what's the difference between the pro and basic versions? I couldn't find anything that listed what the pro version did that the basic version couldn't do.

Thanks,
    Reggie

39. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, you can add local/world forces, inflate, rotation or scale on each sensor, and you can easily add/remove and access all the parameters at runtime with the API. You can add 20 sensors per mesh, so you can esily create a custom scirpt for wind animation.

I know that some studio use it for PS4, have a look to this one : http://www.valleythegame.com/
    Nobody reported bugs on PS4.

The pro version include the source code. ;)

reggie_sgs likes this.
  40. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

I'm using Unity 2018; I imported this package into a 2D project, selected a sprite and went to Component to add VertExmotion to it but there is no VM option there.

EDIT: I opened it in a blank project and now it works fine. It must have been conflicting with another asset.

41. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Great. I'll go ahead and pick it up. One other use I just thought of was using it to deform meshes to simulate damage on vehicles. Would it be possible to place sensors and have them push in and deform a panel on a car but not have it bounce back?

Harekelas likes this.
  42. kalagaan

kalagaan

please, could you send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) with the description of your project and the packages you use? And if there's any error message.

43. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, you can set a fixed value to the force, and the mesh will be deformed by GPU :)

Here the scale & twist FX with one sensor. And you can overlap sensors, the FX will merge :D

reggie_sgs likes this.
  44. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Oh, I cleared the errors when the problem ceased, sorry about that. However the problem stopped when I deleted the jump script from the jelly cube demo. I had a game kit also installed which also had a script named "jump" and Unity did not like that.

45. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback, this script should be in the VertExmotion namespace.
    Sorry, I'll fix it in next update ;)

46. ceebeee

ceebeee

Ok I just bought the "Pro" version of this and installed it in Unity 2017.4.2f2 (latest release).

This warning is concerning because TexGen has been removed from Unity since Unity 5.0 came out, that was a 4.0 or older feature. Which means this shader is super old and should have been fixed and updated a long time ago.

Unity made a page when Unity 5 came out explaining how to upgrade old Unity 4 shaders to remove the need for TexGen: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-ImplementingTexGen.html

And to be clear this may display as a warning, but while the shader will 'run' it won't display anything even closely resembling what it should so in reality it's an error. This shouldn't be left up to the end-user to fix.

These CircleCap/FreeMoveHandler warnings are newer, they only became obsolete as of 2017. But that was a year ago, should have been fixed by now.

47. kalagaan

kalagaan

The legacy shaders were converted from the built'in shaders of an older version, and are automaticly upgraded by unity.
    I'll convert them from the latest built-in shaders.
    I'll also change the FreeMoveHandles to avoid the warnings on 2017 and later.

48. mons00n

mons00n

How easy/difficult is it to enable/disable theses features in game? For instance: I disable IK when an enemy gets far enough away and would like to do the same with this asset to save on performance. Thanks!

49. kalagaan

kalagaan

Really easy, you have to disable the VertExmotion sensors script and the effect will stop.
    You can also reset all the deformations with the API.
    So you can write a simple script that disable VertExmotion according to the distance of the camera.

mons00n likes this.
  50. TwoBentCoppers

TwoBentCoppers

Very nice asset. It's going to take me some time to read through the Pro API, and get it added into my project. I did a quick test using the Amplify Shader extension, to turn a low poly boneless object into a VertExmotion one. It wiggles and jiggles most delightfully.

kalagaan and hopeful like this.