Search Unity

Vertex snapping messed up for anyone else?

Discussion in '2D' started by msbranin, Jun 17, 2014.

1. msbranin

msbranin

I am having an issue with vertex snapping in Release 4.5.1p1
    13th June 2014.

I place a 100 pixel by 100 pixel sprite in game I hit control D to duplicate it and then I vold V and click the top left corner to snap it and it jumps the actual vertex point to and invisible point like there was another whole sprites difference top left

O

O*****

2. msbranin

msbranin

Bump I really could use an answer as it has been weeks since vertex snapping on sprites has worked for me and I have installed Unity on 4 different computers to test. If you create any sprite and change the default pivot from center to something like Bottom left and then add the sprite to your scene and then hold down V for vertex snapping, the Snap point jumps off the sprite to the lower left as if theres another invisible sprite just below it. I submitted a bug report.. I have asked in 2 places in the forums and I have gotten no answer.. not even a Hey I just tried it and it works for me.

3. Rutenis

Rutenis

Havent you tried to do it manualy then?

4. msbranin

msbranin

Yes.. I can line sprites up manually.. But when you are building a level made from tons and tons of tiles.. It's a massive strain without functional vertex snapping.. I can use a tile mapper add on to circumvent the fact that unity is busted currently but we should not have too.. Plus I still have not received confirmation from anyone as to whether it is working or not for them so I can't least write it off as a bug or a problem on my end.

5. Rutenis

Rutenis

Well, maybe youre doing it in 2d and another image is blocking it? Maybe the GameObject youre trying to snap is locked?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. msbranin

msbranin

Only sprite in the entire scene and it's not locked... Anyone can test create a new scene. Drag an image in and set up as a sprite with a lower left pivot point.. Drop in scene and press and hold v and watch the vertex snap point drop completely off the sprite instead of the lower left corner.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  7. Pyrian

Pyrian

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same strange behavior in 4.5.1f3.

8. msbranin

msbranin

Omg... Thank you.. I just knew people were going g to say.. Nope.. It's just you... It's driving me nuts.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you have a video to demonstrate your particular issue? I don't think it is bugged, but it could be a combination of your viewpoint, overlapping meshes etc etc... 2d vs 3d mode and so on. A video would let unity staff replicate your issue. In any case if all else fails, report a bug with reproduction scene.

In our game I didn't rely on snapping from unity, but made a tool to snap things to a 2D plane so it was very reliable, you might want to make a quick and dirty editor view tool for that.

10. Pyrian

Pyrian

Seriously? Select a sprite with a non-center pivot. Hold down "v" while moving the mouse around; notice that the vertices are no longer at the corners. This is not difficult to replicate. You don't even have to move it.

11. msbranin

msbranin

Sigh Really not that hard to replicate. its like the offset for the vertex snapping is wrong. And it is definately not the way its supposed to be. If you need a reference create the same sprite in 4.3 where it works correctly and then in 4.5 where is it no longer works correctly.

As I have said previously. Brand new 2d project... Brand new empty scene.. Drop a sprite on the scene that has its pivot point set to anything but center and hold V down. Theres no way that the vertex snapping point Droping below and to the left of the sprite is normal behavior. This issue is present in all versions of 4.5 that are available including the 3 patches.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK but if you don't send a bug report it's at the mercy of being seen by a developer who cares enough to respond to this post. A lot of developers don't work on that part of Unity. Best report it.

13. msbranin

msbranin

Did you even read the first and second post??? I did send a bug report with an example project. So far noone has even read or responded to the bug report. Which is why I posted here as well to make sure others were experiencing the same issue. Which they are

14. msbranin

msbranin

First Pic Shows Sprite in sprite Editor. Note the pivot point is bottom left. Second Pic Shows the Sprite in the Scene with the V key held down for Vertex snapping.. Surely you can see thats not where that vertex snapping point is supposed to be

Sprite Editor.jpg EmptyScene.jpg

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seems like a bit of a pain, I'm sure the team will be on it and will fix it then.

16. UffePuff

UffePuff

I just want to confirm that I got the same weird behavior. I was following a tutorial and thought I was going crazy. It probably is connected to custom pivots, since the offset seems just about the same distance my pivot is from the center.

17. msbranin

msbranin

I have given up on this. my bug report has gone unanwered and as far as I can tell it has not even been looked at by anyone at unity.

18. Valleriani

Valleriani

Also happening to me when following the tutorial here
    (At around 19-21 minutes).

The pivot center acts as the center to the actual image, thus the vertex snapping is trying to snap in incorrect locations.

19. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Using 4.5.2f1 here and for me vertex snapping seems to be working as it should when following the same procedure as msbranin.

20. TomasJ

TomasJ

Wow what a slip up. Sorry. QA missed the bug report. WIll investigate asap.

21. msbranin

msbranin

If you do get around to looking at it. I have explained it better here with Pics. I did not reread my original bug report until after submitting it and there are a ton of misspellings. But the project I included at the time was suffering from the issue.

22. TomasJ

TomasJ

Fixed it. Merging to a patch release.

23. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

In version 5.43f1 vertex snapping two identical tiles, selecting them and snapping such pair to another tile produces a tiny gap in between the tiles, requiring close zoom and manual re-snapping of all three.

24. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Coming back 1 year later to report that 5.6.2 still has this issue and no one bothered to fix it

Selecting any vertex-aligned meshes, then rotating as a group produces nasty gaps, and meshes are no longer aligned.
    Can't u guys do checks for verts that were overlapping while rotating, to prevent them separating from each other due to floating point precision? At least make a "precise rotation tool"

You could use an octree as well to simplify your life

25. imuniz

imuniz

Hey, years after this post and I am still experiencing misbehavior with the vertex snapping. Will they fix it ?