Search Unity

Vertex displacement shader in HDRP

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Reverend-Speed, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Folks, I'm confused. I'm a moderately experienced Unity dev just starting with HDRP and I'm having trouble figuring out what documentation I should be using and if any of my old shader knowledge is applicable.

Is it possible to write a vertex displacement shader for HDRP in code, or am I required to use Shadergraph?

Can anybody point me towards useful documentation they've found on these topics?

Very much appreciated, I'm not entirely sure where to start with this topic.

2. Invertex

Invertex

There isn't much documentation for it yet since HDRP is still a work in progress. Your best bet is to just look at the Lit shader in the HDRP assets, make a copy and modify it to your needs. If you understand vert/frag decently well, not just Unity's "surf" system which isn't used in these new pipelines, then you should be fine modifying it to do your vertex displacement

You could also just make it in ShaderGraph, there's a Code Function node now that you can actually write you code in and plug the output to the master node's position input.

3. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Thanks @Invertex. I don't know if I'd say I understand vert/frag decently well - only authored a couple of shaders - so I think I'll take your advice and try and get things working with ShaderGraph. Much appreciated...!