Search Unity

Question Version Control Mode keeps reverting to "Visible Meta Files"

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Sprawl, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Sprawl

Sprawl

Hi, I'm testing our plastic and have just installed version the most recent version control version (1.13.5) with a cloud server. When I manually change it to Plastic SCM, everything seems to work out fine. However, anytime I recompile, it gets changed back to Visible Meta Files without any warnings or errors.

In addition, the "Check Out" Buttons do not work, but the Plastic SCM window does work. I can Check-in changes, make branches, merge and get latest with multiple users without issues. It's only the Unity Integration that seems to be behaving weirdly.

Is there something wrong with my setup ?

Unity Version : 2021.2.0f1
    Plastic Package : 1.13.5

Before Compiling :
    plasticunity.png

After Compiling :
    plasticunity2.png

zixuan313 likes this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Sprawl, I apologize for the confusion.

The Version Control mode setting actually applies to the Legacy Integration of Plastic SCM that is no longer supported. (We're planning to remove Plastic SCM from the Version Control Mode dropdown once the Version Control package leaves beta). When you use the Version Control package and enable Plastic SCM, the Version Control Mode gets set to Visible Meta Files to make it easier for the VCS to find and grab the oh-so-important meta files, along with your assets, to make sure that no changes are missed.

The two methods are not meant to work side-by-side, so one of them needs to be disabled. You can disable the Version Control Mode method by keeping the setting on Visible Meta Files. You should still see your Checkin/Checkout Inspector button options, while also having access to the Plastic SCM window that brings you even more of Plastic SCM's features to your fingertips.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

deab and zixuan313 like this.
  3. Sprawl

Sprawl

Thanks, it does clear up that issue! Will keep at Visible meta files!

However, I still have an issue with the "Checkout" button in the Scene view. I assumed it was related but perhaps not. Basically, it doesn't do anything. I can still save my prefabs when I exit the prefab and it prompts me to save. The "Checkout" button in the inspector when selecting an asset works properly.

Example : This button does not work.
    upload_2021-11-15_16-53-4.png

This one works
    upload_2021-11-15_16-54-28.png

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No problem, happy to help!

Interesting, I honestly wasn't aware that there was Check Out option for prefabs in the Scene view. I'll pass this bug along to the team to look at it further. Thank you for bringing this up to us!

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi again! The Checkout option in the Scene View is removed in the next version of the Version Control package since it wasn't getting a lot of use (and often broke, like you experienced). The Checkout/Checkin options are still available in the Inspector for other assets, while changes in scenes and prefabs are still tracked in the Pending Changes tab of the Plastic SCM window.

If the Checkout option in the Scene view is an important feature for you then please let us know so that I can pass it along to the team for consideration.

6. Sprawl

Sprawl

Thanks for the update. It is indeed a feature that our team used a lot. For less technical folks working in prefabs, it's a lot more convenient to have it there next to the save button than having them wonder why they can't save. Especially since if they're already inside the prefab in the Scene View, there's no quick way to bring the prefab inspector to check it out besides searching for the prefab in the project window!

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

This is great feedback and I'll pass it along to the team! Please don't hesitate to mention anything else that feels like it's not working as expected so that the team can review it.

8. Sprawl

Sprawl

Thanks! I can see another small bug with Plastic integration. When the inspector is locked, the version control icon does not take into account the locked object, but the current selected one. This means it shows an object and the version control state of another!

upload_2021-11-19_18-14-10.png

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That's a good catch! Thank you, I'll open a bug for this! :D