Search Unity

Version 2.2 produces errors because needs iOS 13/XCode 11

Discussion in 'AR' started by ScottyDSB, Jun 8, 2019.

1. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Hi there.

I've noticed and is logical that version 2.2 of Foundation requires iOS 13 and XCode 11, because there are new implementations that are not recognized if compiling with Xcode 10. So I've downloaded 2.1 and everything is fine with my iOS 12 and XCode 10.

The question is, I want to develop an application, there will be two branches or do I have to be stuck with 2.1 until iOS 13 is released? No problem with that but I don't want to install iOS 13 in my iPhone until release.

Thanks in advance.

2. Cruxx

Cruxx

Hi: have you tried with xcode11 and ios12?

3. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Yes and because the new functions (body recognition etc) are integrated in the game iOS 13 is needed. That's the point, I think these new functions should be optional, so we could work with the last version but compiling for XCode 10 and iOS 12. Or create a new branch until the new version, but again I think these new functions should be optional to avoid the need of having iOS 13 installed.

4. Cruxx

Cruxx

Thank you. I just installed my updated AR app to my iOS 12 phone, which always crash right after launching. Just curious about how this works and it turns out that I need to raise the system version requirement for any future release. Sad.

5. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Exactly, I've mentioned this situation in the last video that Unity has recorded about the implementation of ARkit 3, I hope they listen and can give us some clue of how they're gonna solve it, if they're gonna solve it. Regards.

6. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

We're talking about this here too:

7. Blarp

Blarp

you need it to build only. People with ios 11 can still use if you dont use arkit3 specific things like bodytracking

8. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Yes, the problem is that when you load Unity it suggests to upgrade, when upgrading you need iOS 13 and XCode 11. That's when the problems arise. So, the short answer is: don't upgrade Arkit to the last version if you want to go on developing and don't need those new features. Regards.

9. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Normally, you should be able to use the latest ARFoundation with any version of Xcode and iOS (depending on which features you want to use). However, we've identified an issue with Xcode 11 beta which prevents this. ARKit XR Plugin 2.2.0-preview.1 will only work with Xcode 11 and iOS 13. You cannot build an app using Xcode 9 or 10 and your app will crash on devices running anything less than iOS 13. You should only use ARKit XR Plugin 2.2.0-preview.1 if you want to experiment with the latest features in iOS 13. We will release an updated version of the ARKit XR Plugin package when this issue is resolved in Xcode 11.

Blarp likes this.
  10. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Ok thank you for your information, I'll upgrade once iOS 13 is in an advanced beta so I can try the new features. Meanwhile I can develop the rest of my game with the features of the previous version. Kind regards.

11. RedRabbit_ChaoLun

RedRabbit_ChaoLun

Hey man, I used ARFoundation 2.2 and Xcode 11 beta 5, but now Apple is release the iOS13 beta8, dose it support?