Search Unity

TextMesh Pro *** Version 1.5.5, 2.1.5 and 3.0.5 Now Available! ***

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Stephan_B, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The following releases of the TMP package are now available. These are version 1.5.4 for Unity 2018.4, version 2.1.4 for Unity 2019.4 and version 3.0.4 for Unity 2020.x or newer.

These three (3)releases are identical in terms of features and functionality but specific to each Unity release which is required to address some API and other changes to Unity.

Release Notes

• Improved sprite tag anim functionality to take into consideration the sprite character and glyph scale. Case #1309707
    • Improved Ellipsis character insertion handling to prevent potential issues when the Ellipsis glyph ascender and descender exceed those of the primary font asset. See forum post for details.
    • Fixed text object margin handles in Scene view not behaving correctly as a result of lossy scale or object rotation. Case #1295523
    • The <mark> tag padding attribute can now be defined using font units (em).
    • Fixed text parsing issue related to recent memory overhead optimizations. Case #1295755
    • Updated TMP Essential Resources and TMP Examples & Extras.
    • Updated TMP Sprite shader to add support for Single Pass Stereo rendering.
    • Fixed potential iOS build failure. Case #1298753
    • Fixed a few missing Profiler.EndSample() in the TMP_FontAsset.cs file. See forum post for details.
    • Fixed SetText() with formatting issue where large numbers would show a leading zero. See forum post for details.
    • Updated profiling code to use the new and more efficient ProfilerMarker.
    • Fixed incorrect text bounds. See forum post for details.
    • Fixed OutOfRangeException error that could occur in the TMP Input Field when selecting all and inserting characters using IME. Case #1301059
    • Fixed incorrect handling of Surrogate Pairs in the TMP Input Field. Case #1299798
    • Fixed Font Asset Creator incorrectly leaving the Readable state of font asset atlas textures to readable where it should be set to non readable for static font assets. Case #1305520
    • Added Multi Select functionality to the "Create - TextMesh Pro - Font Asset" context menu option. Case #1303074
    • Revised internal handling of the various text input methods to ensure the text property is always reflective of the text content in the Inspector Text Input Box in the Editor and via the text property getter even when using a combination of the various SetText methods or the text property setter. Case #1294998
      Please note that using the text property getter when the text was updated via one of the SetText methods will results a string allocation.
    • Fixed incorrect line spacing caused by preceding <size=x.x> tag. See forum post for details.
    • Revised how the Bold Spacing which is defined per font asset will affect spacing between bold characters to ensure more uniform spacing. This change may require users to manually adjust the bold spacing value of their font assets to maintain similar spacing / layout results.
    • Fixed linked text components not updating correctly when setting the text to null or empty. Case #1305832
    • The vertexBufferAutoSizeReduction property will now be set to false by default. This property is used to determine if the internal data structures used in the parsing of the text should be resized when the text content shrinks by more than 256 characters which results in CG. Case #1305311
    • Fixed animated sprites not behaving correctly when using text overflow mode Ellipsis and Truncate. Case #1303672
    • Fixed TMP Resource Importer window stealing focus when Inspector Layout Property window is open when TMP Essential Resources have not been imported into the project. Case #1300462
    • Fixed minor UI cosmetic issue affecting text spacing properties alignment in the Quick Search window. Case #1299587
    • Fixed minor UI cosmetic issue in the Font Asset inspector related to the positioning of the warning when changing Generation Settings.
    • Fixed issue where the material properties of fallback font assets are not updated when changing the material properties of the primary font asset via code. Case #1271468
    • Fixed an issue with Text Overflow Linked mode where text would not flow correctly from one component to the other when the last character present at the break point was a linefeed "\n" or vertical tab "\v". See forum post for details.

Changes Worth Noting

Project Text Spacing Conversion Tool

This tool is located in the "Window - TextMeshPro - Project Text Spacing Conversion Tool" menu item.

upload_2021-2-18_23-16-10.png

This tool was added to make it easier to adjust text component character, word, line and paragraph spacing as a result of the (em) scale spacing changes that were introduced in versions 1.5.0, 2.1.0 and 3.0.0.

This tool will scan the project to identify text components in scenes and prefabs that have spacing adjustment values and will list these components along with current and revised values. The tool will not change any values unless you select "Save Modified Project Files".

Unless you have noticed spacing changes in your text since updating to the previous releases, there is no need to use this tool. As usual make sure, you backup the project first.

Note: Normal and Bold text spacing values per font asset are not adjusted by this tool. These still need to be adjusted manually, if once again, you noticed a change in text spacing.

Text Property and SetText() functions

In previous releases, there was no common internal text backing data structure between the text property and the various SetText() functions. As such, users setting the text via one of the SetText() functions and then checking it by using the text property would not get the expected string.

In this release, I have revised how these various ways of setting the text work where the source text is copied to this new internal text backing data structure which is then used to parse the text.

As a result of this change, the Text Input Box in the Inspector and the text property will remain in sync regardless of the text input method.

This change will also make this portion of the code easier to maintain.

Note that in the Editor, there will be allocations when the source of the text is not a string as we need to convert from the source format to a string. At runtime, there will be allocations when the source of the text is not a string and only when accessing the text property to check the text as again we need to convert from whatever source format to a string.

Next Preview Releases
    I will next be working on versions 1.6.0 for Unity 2018.4, version 2.2.0 for Unity 2019.4 and version 3.2.0 for Unity 2020.x or newer.

Some of the larger new features that I am planning to introduce include:
    • Improved TrueType Collection (TTC) support.
      upload_2021-2-19_0-32-25.png

• Support for Diacritical Marks, Glyph Positional Adjustment (GPOS) and possibly Ligatures.

• Dynamic OS Font Assets

• Text Wrapping Mode
      upload_2021-2-19_0-34-56.png

• SRP (URP & HDRP) Support and set of new Shader Graph Shaders (Unity 2019.4 or newer)
      upload_2021-2-19_0-49-2.png

• Plus other smaller features.

Unity 2018.4
    Since we are near the end of the 2018.4 LTS cycle, version 1.6.x will be the last major release for Unity 2018.4. I will of course continue to provide updates for these releases until most of you have moved on to 2019.4 or newer Unity releases.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. andymads

andymads

Yellow text on white / grey backgrounds is unreadable.

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 12.34.03.png

3. w409544041

w409544041

error.

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@2.1.4\Scripts\Runtime\TMP_DefaultControls.cs(188,22): error CS1061: 'RectMask2D' does not contain a definition for 'padding' and no accessible extension method 'padding' accepting a first argument of type 'RectMask2D' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

my unity version is 2019.4.9f1

Noisecrime and chris_unity559 like this.
  4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll revise the compiler conditional. The padding was added the RectMask2D in a subsequent release of Unity 2019.4 which is now at version 2019.4.20f1.

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I keep forgetting about the Light Theme ... argh!

6. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Updating from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4 causes a reimport of all textures in the project... :(

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

That seems strange... Did this happen by just updating the TMP package or you also updated to a newer version of Unity?

8. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

I updated from Unity 2020.2.4f1 to 2020.2.5f1
    After the project started up (no long import time), I checked the Project Manager and saw that there's an available update to TMP, so I clicked update.
    That's what started the reimport.

9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There is nothing in the TMP package that should cause a re-import of textures. There is
    Code (csharp):
    1. private static void OnPostprocessAllAssets(string[] importedAssets, string[] deletedAssets, string[] movedAssets, string[] movedFromAssetPaths)
    which is not new where this is triggered by Unity when assets have been changed.

Do you still have a backup of the project prior to the upgrade to 2020.2.5f1? I would like to see if I can reproduce this behavior to figure out why the textures would have been re-imported.

10. ksh0-

ksh0-

I'm on the same verson(2019.4.9f1) and get the same error. Any workarounds?

11. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

You can comment out the offending line which will need to be done in the Global Package Cache.

However, unless there is a technical reason for not upgrading to the latest 2019.4 LTS release, I would consider upgrading.

If you are using any input fields in your project, having the ability to add / control padding on RectMask2D is kind of nice.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  12. w409544041

w409544041

No,i just use 2.1.3 textmeshpro.I dont want to update the version of unity ,that will bring more bugs.

13. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I will make the necessary change for the next release.

Until then or until you update to a newer release of 2019.4, you can make the following change to the TMP_DefaultControl.cs file at line 188 which is to comment out the offending line since the padding property does not exist in early versions of 2019.4.

Code (csharp):
    2. // Use UI.Mask for Unity 5.0 - 5.1 and 2D RectMask for Unity 5.2 and up
    3. RectMask2D rectMask = textArea.AddComponent<RectMask2D>();
    4. #if UNITY_2019_4_OR_NEWER
    5. //rectMask.padding = new Vector4(-8, -5, -8, -5);
    6. #endif
    Note that the change needs to be done in the Global Package Cache in order to make it persistent.

Whatever560 likes this.
  14. mrtenda

mrtenda

These features will be a huge help! Thank you for your work.

15. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Brings a compile error on 2018.4.16f1:

Code (csharp):
    2. [CompilerError] 'FontEngine' does not contain a definition for 'GetGlyphPairAdjustmentRecords'
    3. Compiler Error at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.5.4\Scripts\Runtime\TMP_FontAsset.cs:2613 column 80
    I tried to replace it with the Unity 2018.3 codepath in the #define and it seems to work with that change.

16. chris_unity559

chris_unity559

Thanks! Any indication when an update will be released to resolve this?

17. RoseDuf

RoseDuf

I'm also having this exact issue on 2018.4.13f1. Would you mind elaborating on the change you did or is there any other solution I could potentially do?

If not, can this issue be fixed on an update to the 1.5.4 package?

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I missed that initial report but this is related to recent changes / improvements that I made to the font engine in Unity 2018.4. I would suggest upgrading to Unity 2018.4.32f1.

In terms of the change, the older way of fetching glyph pair adjustments was not as efficient as the newer one. This change landed in 2018.4.24f1.

If for some reason you cannot upgrade to the latest 2018.4, you could revert that specific change in your version 1.5.4 of the TMP package. Let me know if that will be necessary or if you can upgrade to the latest 2018.4.

19. RoseDuf

RoseDuf

Unfortunately for the time being I won't be able to upgrade the project to a more recent version of Unity, so I'll have to revert that change. Alternatively I figured I would just upgrade to 1.5.3 which seems to work. Hopefully eventually the project will be upgraded too...

Thank you for your quick response by the way! :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  20. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There are issues with 1.5.3 which 1.5.4 addresses.

What specific issues are you having with 1.5.4?

21. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Sounds like the incompatibility with <2018.4.24f1.

@RoseDuf:

If you open the error that appears in an editor, you will see a conditional right above for 2018.3.*. Use that code in the selected codepath (or change define conditional to match on 2018.4 as well), and then you need to freeze your package to your Packages directory.

I can provide more details later if you need it.

FWIW: Due to this problem and not wanting to carry around this sort of hack long term, I took the plunge and tried 2018.4.32f1 on our project and found 0 bugs (so far, editor playthrough was fine, making a build now). At least it seems relatively "safe", as far as Unity upgrades go.

22. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

Hi,
    I'm having issues with the InputField carret disappearing when the CanvasScaler is applied.

I see in the code of the TMP_InputField.GenerateCarret that it gets the scale of the canvas
    Code (csharp):
    2. // Minor tweak to address caret potentially being too thin based on canvas scaler values.
    3. float scale = m_TextComponent.canvas.scaleFactor;
    5. m_CursorVerts[0].position = new Vector3(startPosition.x, bottom, 0.0f);
    6. m_CursorVerts[1].position = new Vector3(startPosition.x, top, 0.0f);
    7. m_CursorVerts[2].position = new Vector3(startPosition.x + width, top, 0.0f);
    8. m_CursorVerts[3].position = new Vector3(startPosition.x + width, bottom, 0.0f);
    However that scale is never used.

If I change the width to be width/scale it works as expected.
    Am I missing something there?

23. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The Caret is likely disappearing as a result of it being less than one pixel width as a result of scaling.

I'll take a closer look at this as soon as I have a chance. For certain, I'll address this for the next set of releases.

Until then, I would suggest increasing the caret width.

Inter-Illusion likes this.
  24. RobbGraySBL

RobbGraySBL

Any idea on when the update will come, to fix the RectMask2D padding. The version fixes a lot of index out of range errors. Updating unity isn't really a very good option for large teams modifying text mesh pro will require some convincing.

25. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The following releases of the TMP package are now available. These are version 1.5.5 for Unity 2018.4, version 2.1.5 for Unity 2019.4 and version 3.0.5 for Unity 2020.x or newer.

These three (3)releases are identical in terms of features and functionality but specific to each Unity release which is required to address some API and other changes to Unity.

Release Notes

As usual please let me know if you run into any unforeseen issues.

and with that ... back to working on the next set of preview releases along with URP / HDRP support.

26. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Any user on Unity 2019.4.22f1 or older or Unity 2020.2.2f1 or older where these releases predate the addition of PS5 support will get 3 errors in the TMP_TextInputField.cs.

If you are unable to upgrade to the latest release of 2019.4 or 2020.2 or LTS 2020.3, I would suggest you commend out the offending lines until I release another version of the package to exclude the PS5 references for those older Unity releases of 2019.4 and 2020.2.

Note: The change will need to be done in the https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-cache.htmlhttps://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-cache.html otherwise the change will be reverted on domain reload or when Unity is closed and re-opened.

27. cova8bitdots

cova8bitdots

Hi, @Stephan_B
    We update v2.1.5 to fix "Fixed text rendering issue due to incorrectly SDF scaling when using a CanvasScaler and resizing the game view" bug, but we also faced compile error bug you mentioned.
    ( we've just used Unity2019.4.22f1 )

Though it is solved by comment out, all Unity users including non-programmer have to do this.
    Our development team has many non-programmer Unity users, so it is a lot of cost to support to fix this issue for all team members.

So I'd like to know when this bug will be fixed by official release?

Thank you.

ericbing likes this.
  28. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll try to release a new version 2.1.6 and 3.0.6 this week to resolve this issue.

cova8bitdots likes this.
  29. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

Any chance of supporting new RectMask2D's softness? It's cool feature but seems that TMP doesn't respect it

30. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

It is / should be supported but only in those versions of Unity where it is available.

What version of Unity and TMP package are you using?

EDIT:
    Was thinking of padding...

Softness is supported in the Debug of the Material Inspector but that is per material.

I'll take a look to see if I can add support for softness coming from the RectMask2D directly.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  31. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

Sorry for late reply...

Yes, padding works but softness doesn't. It would be nice if you can add that feature :)
    Unity v2021.1.3, TMP v3.0.5

32. yangskybox

yangskybox

Is this still likely for this week, or looking more like sometime next week?

33. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This should be live already :)

These new releases are:
    Version 1.5.6 for Unity 2018.4
    Version 2.1.6 for Unity 2019.4
    Version 3.0.6 for Unity 2020 or newer.

The 1.5.6 release contains a single change related to C# 6.0. The 2019.4 and 2020.x contain the added compiler define related to the PS5 support.

I will be updating the sticky post later today.

34. Charlieb928

Charlieb928

Hello everyone I am using Unity 2019.4.8f1 after upgrading from a previous version I am getting this error message

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@3.0.4/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_DefaultControls.cs(188,22): error CS1061: 'RectMask2D' does not contain a definition for 'padding' and no accessible extension method 'padding' accepting a first argument of type 'RectMask2D' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I tried commenting line 188 as such -

//rectMask.padding = new Vector4(-8, -5, -8, -5);
    #endif -

but it only produces another error.

does anyone know if there is a way to work around this or a permanent fix? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

35. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The issue is simply related to the RectMask2D.padding property being added to a version of Unity that is newer than the version you are using.

Please note that version 2.1.6 of the TMP package is for Unity 2019.4 and that version 3.0.6 is for Unity 2020 or newer. As such, it is also possible that you are getting this error because you are using the Unity 2020.x of the TMP package in Unity 2019.4.

36. realragnvaldr

realragnvaldr

Does this include 2021.x?

When I try to do an Android build of my project in Unity 2021.x, I get a bunch of somewhat cryptic errors related to TMP Pro (see below) - should i wait with moving to 2021.x until after a new TMP version is released?

Just for clarity, here is the situation:
    * Everything works smooth in 2020.3.5f1 (I can run in Editor as well as build to Android and iOS)
    * In 2021.1.5f1, i can run the project in the Editor without problems, but when i try to make an Android build it get the following errors:

EDIT: A "reimport all" seems to have solved this. Case closed :)

upload_2021-4-30_19-18-7.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  37. jGate99

jGate99

Hi @Stephan_B

Is there any character limit for link's value? because following text is not becoming a proper link

Code (CSharp):
    1. //This is proper link
    2. <link="https://www.accountingtoday.com/news/accounting-firm-heads-business-leaders-urge-congress-to-accept-electoral-college-re">this</link>
    4. //This is not
    5. <link="https://www.accountingtoday.com/news/accounting-firm-heads-business-leaders-urge-congress-to-accept-electoral-college-results">this</link>

Please advise, its a quite a problematic bug for me

38. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There is a limit of 120 characters.

The format of the link tag is <link="ID">Some text description</link>. This ID should simply represent some unique ID to enable you to identify it so that you can implement whatever logic is needed.

See the following thread / post about this topic. There are several other posts about this as well on the forum.

jGate99 likes this.
  39. jGate99

jGate99

Can you please increase the character limit? Reason is all of this text will be entered by an admin app on runtime rather than hard coded ids and stuff

Thanks

40. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Hey, there seems to be a problem with <cspace> tags and centered horizontal alignment.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.04.18 PM.png
    <sprite="ScorecardAtlas" name="Eagle" tint=0>12,900<sprite="ScorecardAtlas" name="PurpleGem" tint=0><sprite="ScorecardAtlas" name="PurpleGem" tint=0>

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.04.48 PM.png
    <sprite="ScorecardAtlas" name="Eagle" tint=0>12,900<cspace=-0.6em><sprite="ScorecardAtlas" name="PurpleGem" tint=0><sprite="ScorecardAtlas" name="PurpleGem" tint=0></cspace>

I've logged a bug.

<mspace> seems to work ok so i can make do with that for now.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Do you have a Case # for this bug?

42. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Case 1333571

43. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

I just saw that TMP 3.0.6 still has the issue of not using the scale so the caret disappears for most of my input fields.
    Do you have any idea in what version this fix will be included.
    For now I'm just manually changing the script to include the width /= scale;

44. bradbecker

bradbecker

For projects using Unity Text that we want to convert to TextMesh Pro, is there an up-to-date recommended way to do that? This is for Unity 2021, etc.

45. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I know that several users have created solutions of their own where their tool scans the project and replaces UI Text components by <TextMeshProUGUI> components along with making adjustments to the relevant settings. I believe a few users posted their solution on the forum here so hopefully you can find one of those via search.

Having said that, I guess it might be a good idea for us (Unity) to perhaps create one such tool. Perhaps this might be a good project for an intern or some of the new folks.

46. bradbecker

bradbecker

OK. @Stephan_B I think my question is whether the API's, etc for TMP have changed much since those projects were created and are they still safe to use on a live project. Yes, I have version control but it's still not much fun to have things get corrupted and do a rollback.

47. bradbecker

bradbecker

48. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There have been API changes to TMP over the years including new properties added. However, I don't think that any properties that overlap / those that you would want to carry over from a UI Text component to <TextMeshProUGUI> components have changed.

Text alignment has been split into two separate serialized properties, the script you referenced above might need to be updated for that.

The script that you referenced in your previous post appears to require selecting each individual text object and then converting them. Depending on the size of the project and if you are instantiating text objects or have lots of prefabs, that might be an issue. But still better than having to do everything by hand.

49. dassoubarna

dassoubarna

I got some error in Unity 2020.3.12f1 LTS using a third party SDK Toolkit. How can I resolve it.

50. zh325700

zh325700

Is there any way to reduce the GC of TMP while been awaken?
    upload_2021-7-27_18-34-40.png

BTW. I am using TMP2.1.6, However, I checked 3.0.6 also, there is no updating about reducing the GC of MP_TextInfo.ctor