Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro Version 1.5.1, 2.1.1 & 3.0.1 - Now Available! for Testing!

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Stephan_B, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Link to the previous sticky post with introduction video on Dynamic SDF.

The preview release (beta) of the TMP package version 1.5.0 for Unity 2018.4 and version 2.1.0 for Unity 2019.x are now available for testing via the Package Manager.

These are identical releases in terms of functionality but had to be separate releases due to changes in Unity such as dependency on the UI package in 2019.x, etc.

These two packages include updated TMP Essential Resources and TMP Examples & Extras. Updating these is optional.

There are two new major features in this release, Text Styles and Multi Atlas Texture support which I will cover below as well as several minor features and lots of fixes. See the ChangeLog for more details.

Text Styles
    Text Styles allow the application of a style to a text object. This is very useful when a specific style applies to the whole object which previously required using the <style> tag at the start and end of the body of the text which was not ideal in some cases and also error prone.

upload_2019-9-30_18-12-50.png

The Text Style pull down shows the Text Styles available. Text Styles are defined Globally in the TMP Settings Default StyleSheet and can now also be Local by assigning a StyleSheet in the Extra Settings of the text object. If a style is defined in the local and global StyleSheets, the local style will override the global style.

It is possible to use a Text Style and styles in the body of the text. Nesting of styles has also been improved.

Multi Atlas Texture
    The Multi Atlas Texture feature enables font assets to create new atlas textures as needed which is when it is no longer possible to add new glyphs to the main atlas. These additional atlas textures inherit the settings of the main atlas texture which are defined in the font asset Generation Settings. All atlas textures including the main atlas are contained in an array of Texture2D. The main is always index [0].

upload_2019-9-30_16-42-52.png

Changes to the font assets including the addition of new atlas texture are persistent in the editor but not persistent in builds. As such and for example, a dynamic font asset with multi atlas support enabled will be able to grow / add as many atlas textures as needed to handle the glyph coverage in a given play session but will always default back to its initial state for the next session.

upload_2019-9-30_18-15-6.png

Since changes to font assets are persistent in the Editor, it is also possible to Reset font assets via the Context Menu option Reset. This will clear the Glyph, Character and Glyph Adjustment Tables. This will also clear all atlas textures.

Changing generation settings (in the Editor) like atlas texture size, will automatically regenerate and re-pack the existing glyphs and adjust the number of atlas textures as needed based on the new settings. This makes easy and convenient to later optimize your font asset and atlases in the event you discover the initial settings were incorrect.

This Multi Atlas Texture feature applies to all dynamic font assets whether they are assigned as primary or fallback somewhere.

As mentioned above, these atlas textures are contained in an array and in this first implementation will result in a draw call for each atlas texture. However, I am planning on updating the shaders to add support for texture arrays where on devices that support this feature (which is most fairly recent mobile devices), these will now only take a single draw call.

Multi Atlas Texture support is an important new feature that will require additional robust testing. No doubt we'll uncover potential issues and / or API functionality that should be added to make the feature even more robust / flexible. I look forward to your feedback on this new feature and release of course.

Additional Important Changes
    (1) In this release, I reworked the line breaking / word wrapping handling to address limitations related to glyph insertion when used in conjunction with Text Auto Size which required recursion. The catalyst for this was an issue with Soft Hyphenation used in combination with Text Auto Size.

As part of this refactor, I also improved the handling of Text Overflow modes like Truncate, Ellipsis, Linked and Page mode to also remove the use of recursion. This also improves the layout / performance when using these modes.

Although I have done a lot of testing related to these changes, no doubt we'll run into some cases where we get incorrect layout results. Let me know if you notice any issues when using these modes or overall text layout.

(2) Additional tweaks were done to character, line, paragraph spacing which now represent 1/100 em. This affect tag using (em) and those values in the inspector. Simply put the (em) handling was incorrect in previous versions. Some of those changes were present in 1.4.1 so let me know if you run into any issues here.

(3) Alignment properties have now been split into horizontalAlignment and verticalAlignment. This will provide for independent control over these which was a requested feature when working with Prefabs as changes to alignment in the past would always dirty everything. This should be a workflow improvement. In theory (again) you should not notice any changes here. There was an issue with alignment in 1.4.1 which affected users with project initially created back in the Unity 5.4 ish time frame. These alignment issues should be handled automatically now.

(4) Added support for modern line breaking for Korean where spaces are used. This option is in the TMP Settings.

Again please review the ChangeLog as it contains lots of stuff including reference to some new smaller new features.

This release is missing some new features that I plan to add in the next preview release or so. These are in no particular order: <HR> tag, Initial implementation of the TMP Resource Manager to make it easier to work with Asset Bundles and Addressables and any type of custom loading of resources. Support for manual definition of diacritical marks (Mark to Base and Mark to Mark). Improve handling of super large text objects where the geometry is larger than 65,535 vertices. This currently works but I uncovered some issues that I want to address. Adding iTextProcessor interface to improved pre-processing / shaping of the text. Additional line breaking / work separators discussed in forum posts. And more small type features that I have discussed on the forum that I would like to get in version 1.5.0 and 2.1.0.

Lastly, it took too long to get this release out so I want to work on reducing the interval between releases.

Feedback
    If you run into any unforeseen issues or have questions about these releases, feel free to reply to this post.

How to Install
    These latest preview release are available via the package manager only. To install these, open the Package Manager UI and select the appropriate package as shown below.

In Unity 2018.4
    upload_2019-9-30_15-3-1.png

In Unity 2019.x
    upload_2019-9-30_15-33-16.png

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. elmo

elmo

I never got it to work to have shadows for my fonts. The material is not created it seems but the Font Creator window doesn't show an option here. I also don't understand the different Render Modes. What is SDFAA_HINTED etc. Is there any documentation about this? Thanks!

3. elmo

elmo

I think I found the problem. My point size was at 500 - I set it down to 80 now and somehow it's working now.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

See the following post about the different modes. SDFAA is the equivalent of Smooth whereas SDFAA Hinted computes the SDF using the Hinted version of the glyph.

I suspect your initial issue was due to the ratio of Sampling Point Size to Padding being too small. This ratio determines the effective range of the material properties. See FAQ Question 11. You normally want a ratio of about 10% so if the sampling point size was 500, you would have needed a padding value of 50 which is huge. Most fonts will render nicely at around 72 - 100 points and most Asian fonts due to how they are structured actually do pretty good at 36 to 48.

Noisecrime and elmo like this.
  5. elmo

elmo

Thanks for your fast and detailed reply, Stephan!
    After I wrote my initial question here - I found the video that explains all this. As you said, the Padding was my problem that effects didn't work out well - together with a very high Sampling Point Size. So this has been solved! :)

Stephan_B likes this.
  6. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

mcallet likes this.
  7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Attached Files:

elmo and aurelien-morel-ubiant like this.
  8. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Ok thanks for the changelog !
    I see nothing mentioning some issue we reported concerning the Custom Validator is it inside ?

9. elmo

elmo

I added three different text objects in my scene and now I want to change the color of one text. However, now all text objects getting changed when I edit one of the text objects. I created the text objects by dublicating the first text object - could this cause this issue - I'm sure this is a feature to make it easier to change the settings on all the text in one scene - or am I doing something wrong here? Thanks for any hint!

10. Sebioff

Sebioff

Unfortunately that problem with input field text not getting masked by RectMask2D that was fixed in 1.3 is back again:
    tmp_masking.gif

Repro project is attached.

Attached Files:

11. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll take a look this afternoon and provide feedback thereafter.

12. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

@Stephan_B there is some issue with the update in our project.

For example we have a CustomTextInputField without RectMask2D on the same game object than the `TextViewport` object reference in your `TMP_InputField` and this create an issue during the `OnEnable` method call.

Because you have this :

Code (CSharp):
    1.  m_TextViewportRectMask = m_TextViewport.GetComponent<RectMask2D>();
    2. m_TextViewportRectMask.enabled = false;
    and you must probably write this instead :

Code (CSharp):
    1. m_TextViewportRectMask = m_TextViewport.GetComponent<RectMask2D>();
    2. if(m_TextViewportRectMask != null)
    3.     m_TextViewportRectMask.enabled = false;
    For the code above I think you just missed it because in the UpdateMask method just under those lines your first test is to check the m_TextViewportRectMask with != null

Another thing is now in our project we have some element that we call
    Skinned TMPro UGUI which allow us to use a skin for our entire project. Before 1.5 every text in the InputField was visible with a blue color but now they aren't display whereas the text is good. So I think they are white but I'm still investigate on this issue.

Edit 1 : on the second issue, this is only happening on 2 input fields in our project. Which is quite odd because they all use the same nested prefab. So still investigate... I will try first to reimport the project just in case.

Edit 2 : After the reimport nothing new.
    BUT
    I found where the issue was but I couldn't explain it...
    If we manually in the inspector enabled / disabled the rectmask2D, the text is displayed.
    If you have some explanation on this feel free to share them :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  13. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you provide me with some simple test setup that mirrors what you have?

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There are definite issues related to Clipping / Culling in the preview 1 which I have been looking into. I do have a current solution which I am further testing. I expect to release a new preview within the next few days.

This should resolve all issues related to Clipping and Culling including the null reference on RectMask2D.

15. insanefeng

insanefeng

Hello

I have 3 problems after using for a while(1.5.0 preview 1, Unity 2018.4.11f1):
    1. the 'Sprite Importer' can save 'Sprite Asset' and the spriteCharacterTable/spriteGlyphTable have content, but the 'Glyph Rect'-Y and 'Glyph Metrics'-BY is 0.
    I compare 1.3.0 version code, change (int)(atlasHeight-(importedSprites.frame.y+importedSprites.frame.h)) and spriteData.frame.h-(spriteData.frame.h*spriteData.pivot.y) (I get the AtlasHeight from TexturePacker JsonData(meta.size.h), or the m_SpriteAtlas.height), it can work now.
    2. in the created sprite asset content, 'm_Version', 'hashCode', 'm_SpriteCharacterTable--m_Unicode' are empty or 0, the values not save.
    3. 'Text Mesh Pro dynamic font using system provided font', can this feature be supported in 2018.4 in the future?

Best Regards.

16. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you provide me with the texture and TexturePackager .json file to look at?

Same as above.

This should work in 2018.4.7 or newer. This is a known issue on iOS which I need to address.

17. insanefeng

insanefeng

Thanks for reply!

1.2. The texture and json files is in Hook.zip

3. I Select the 'LiberationSans' to Create TextMeshPro - Font Asset(the Atlas Population Mode is Dynamic, Atlas Render Mode is SDFAA), named 'LiberationSansSDF', then I add 'a'(TMP Text) and 'b'(Text) UI Component on Canvas,'a' use the LiberationSansSDF font asset, 'b' use LiberationSans font asset,input the same text content 'abc中日韩', 'b' can show all the character, but 'a' only show the 'abc' correctly. so can the 'Dynamic Mode' support use system provided font when source font file not contain some characters?(like some font fallback protection mechanism, the UGUI Text Component made)

Best Regards.

Attached Files:

18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Thank you for providing the zip file. I'll take a look at 1 & 2.

In terms of 3, TMP does not arbitrarily grab characters from system fonts. This is by design as fonts can vary greatly from one to the other in terms of visual design and metrics. I believe that developers and designers should select the appropriate fonts for the languages their project targets. This ensures, the selected font(s) support the needed characters and also work well from a design point of view.

TMP does allow you to create font assets at runtime from system fonts but you have to specify the source font file.

Just to provide more details on this... Let's say your project uses Arial and you then type a Korean character. Given there are several fonts available on Windows that include Korean characters, does TMP pick the first font by alphabetical order? How do we know this font works well with Arial? Then what do we do on Android or iOS or PS4, Switch which all include different system fonts.

Like I said given fonts can vary greatly in terms of design, I think it is important for developer and designer to carefully select the fonts they want to use and not leave it to some semi random font selection.

19. insanefeng

insanefeng

Thanks for reply, I guess I understand what you mean. maybe I should create a dynamic font(like 'Arial' or 'MS YaHei') asset 'a', and then create a dynamic font for the system font('some one by Font.GetPathsToOSFonts()) as a's fallback.

Is there any way to get the 'Text Component' fallback system font path? I want to mimic the behavior of the 'Text Component' as much as possible. (in fallback status, the specified character shape can be displayed will be ok in most cases, it better than display square. of course, there are also cases where the display style is different or displayed as a square, just like 'Text Component' do, so I mentioned above that the built-in default behavior will make the migration work('Text'->'TMP Text') easier)

20. calc1fer

calc1fer

Can I know when TMP support pure new input system?
    Some scripts in TMP suchas TMP_InputField still use standard unity input system.

Thanks

21. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

No ETA yet but most likely at some point in the 2020 cycle.

22. Sebioff

Sebioff

Perfect, thanks! Looking forward to it.

23. YoungXi

YoungXi

Have tried 1.4.1, but haven't tried 1.5.0. So, in 1.4.1 it would fail to add new glyphs when a dynamic font atlas is full filled. And the multi atlas solution I'm not sure how much memory it would take. Does it have logic to clean the texts that are no longer alive?

My case is : using text in chatting, where user can type freely. And the texts need to have outline or shadow, so UGUI Text is not a good solution(but now still using UGUI Text for dynamic content). And wondering if TMP would clean unused text strings in the atlas.

24. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

When it is no longer possible to add a glyph to an atlas texture, TMP does like before and looks for a potential fallback.

In terms of the Multi Atlas feature, when it is no longer possible to add a glyph to the current atlas, a new atlas texture is created with the same Generation Setting to which the glyph is added. In terms of memory, it is the whatever the new texture requires which is identical to the previous atlas texture since they use the same settings.

There is not as this has additional performance overhead and can lead to lots of issues.

The Dynamic System in TMP combined with Multi Atlas feature and fallback system can easily handle this use case.

Please note that newly created dynamic font assets have their atlas texture size at 0 until the first glyph is added. As such, they take little space in a build and little memory overhead until the first glyph needs to be added at which point they are re-sized from Zero to their defined size in the Generation Settings.

It is important to understand that changes to font asset in the Editor are persistent but not at runtime. These means these font assets and atlas texture are reset to their default state at the start of every play session. As such, these font assets only need to handle whatever characters are needed in a single session. Should the need arise, there is also API function to reset font assets.

Latest preview release is now available, I suggest you give that a shot. Latest release for Unity 2018.4 is 1.5.0-preview.2 and 2.1.0-preview 2 for Unity 2019.x or newer.

25. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Release 1.5.0-preview.2 for Unity 2018.4 is now available as well as release 2.1.0-preview.2 for Unity 2019.x or newer. See release notes for changes.

Please continue to provide feedback specific to these release in this thread and general feedback / questions in separate threads.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    As a result of adding support for setting culling mode in the material in the Debug Settings of the material inspector, users should update the TMP Essential Resources via the "Window - TextMeshPro - Import TMP Essential Resources" menu option to import the revised shaders.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  26. Driven

Driven

i get errors after upgrading from preview 1 to preview 2. What's the reason for this?

1. (happens somehow with empty text fields)
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TMPro.TMP_Text.StringToCharArray (System.String sourceText, TMPro.TMP_Text+UnicodeChar[]& charBuffer) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.1.0-preview.2/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_Text.cs:2530)

2. (happens for all textfields which are still using <style=X>)
    UnassignedReferenceException: The variable m_sharedMaterial of TextMeshProUGUI has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the m_sharedMaterial variable of the TextMeshProUGUI script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.Material.GetFloat (System.String name) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Shaders/Shader.cs:523)
    TMPro.TMP_SubMeshUI.UpdateMaterial () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.1.0-preview.2/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_SubMeshUI.cs:691)

27. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I am not sure about this one. Can you please provide me with a repro scene / project for the above?

As per my important note just before your post, you need to import the latest TMP Essential Resources (the shaders namely which have a new property to provide control over culling).

28. Driven

Driven

@Stephan_B i will try to reproduce it in a very small project. Regarding point 2, i did import the TMP Essential Resources, without doing that i had like hundreds of missing __Culling shader properties but they were gone after importing and only hundreds of the other errors were left and ONLY for textfields using <style>, i will try to make a repo for that as well

29. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This change to the TMP_SubMeshUI.cs and the equivalent change to TMP_SubMesh.cs should resolve #2

upload_2019-11-12_1-18-4.png

I'll take a look as soon as possible once you get me the repro project.

AceEX7 likes this.
  30. Driven

Driven

just sent you the repro project, check your inbox. Would be cool if you can tell me if it really was a bug or some mistake or broken asset on my side.

31. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Reserved...

32. laessnb

laessnb

That doesn't fix those exceptions for me. I'm seeing
    MissingReferenceException: The variable m_sharedMaterial of TextMeshProUGUI doesn't exist anymore.
    in TMP_SubMeshUI.cs:691, but 1) you already null-check m_sharedMaterial above, and 2) that line doesn't have any references to m_sharedMaterial.

33. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This is the entire code for that section. There is a specific check for m_sharedMaterial at line 688 so it should return before line 691.

Code (csharp):
    2. protected override void UpdateMaterial()
    3. {
    4.     //Debug.Log("*** STO-UI - UpdateMaterial() *** FRAME (" + Time.frameCount + ")");
    5.     if (m_sharedMaterial == null)
    6.         return;
    7.     //if (canvasRenderer == null) m_canvasRenderer = this.canvasRenderer;
    8.     // Special handling to keep the Culling of the material in sync with parent text object
    9.     if (m_sharedMaterial.HasProperty(ShaderUtilities.ShaderTag_CullMode))
    10.     {
    11.         float cullMode = textComponent.fontSharedMaterial.GetFloat(ShaderUtilities.ShaderTag_CullMode);
    12.         m_sharedMaterial.SetFloat(ShaderUtilities.ShaderTag_CullMode, cullMode);
    13.     }
    14.     canvasRenderer.materialCount = 1;
    15.     canvasRenderer.SetMaterial(materialForRendering, 0);
    16.     //m_canvasRenderer.SetTexture(mainTexture);
    17.     #if UNITY_EDITOR
    18.     if (m_sharedMaterial != null && gameObject.name != "TMP SubMeshUI [" + m_sharedMaterial.name + "]")
    19.         gameObject.name = "TMP SubMeshUI [" + m_sharedMaterial.name + "]";
    20.     #endif
    21. }
    Make sure you imported the revised Shaders contained the updated TMP Essential Resources. You can select to only import the shader folder.

Also make sure you made the changes in the global package cache otherwise the changes will be reset every time you restart Unity.

If the issue persists, I will need more information such as when is this happening? Can you produce it easily and can you provide me with a repro project / scene?

34. laessnb

laessnb

Yes -- that was how my code looked; I had imported the essentials; and I had made the change in the global cache. However: since the only font material reference on line 691 was to
    textComponent.fontSharedMaterial
    , I added an extra null-check for that to the m_sharedMaterial check, and the errors went away. Not sure why the console was reporting it as a null-ref on the incorrect variable (maybe they're aliased to each other at that point).

Edit: so now lines 685-686 look like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (m_sharedMaterial == null || textComponent.fontSharedMaterial == null)
    2.                 return;

35. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

When was this happening? Ie. Just after enabling an object or just after instantiation?

Trying to figure out why fontSharedMaterial would be null in this case.

36. laessnb

laessnb

I had upgraded from 2.1.0 preview 1 to preview 2. As soon as that finished compiling, I got two sets of errors to console: the (apparently misleading) m_sharedMaterial nullref, and the various _CullMode errors. After seeing your posts, I imported essentials, which fixed the _CullMode ones, but the m_sharedMaterial ones popped up again. I then added the HasProperty check, which didn't change anything because the nullref was on textComponent.fontSharedMaterial.

This was all in editor, without pressing Play.

For more details: exactly 6 m_sharedMaterial errors got printed to the console. When I clicked on them, they would all ping my Resources/Prefabs/UI folder, but not any specific prefabs. So I guess somewhere in there are six TMP components on up to six prefabs that have the issue, but I don't know which ones because it's not pinging a specific GameObject.

Happy to provide more info or even export those prefabs with dependencies if that would help somehow.

Also want to mention that I've been using TMP since 2014 and it is probably the most fantastic plugin I've ever used -- thank you for elevating all of our projects' polish so dramatically and for being so responsive in the customer support arena.

37. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Would be great if you could submit a bug report with the included project and steps to reproduce the errors. There is no limit on the project size but if it is too big / becomes inconvenient, you can export those prefab with dependencies and provide those to me here or via private message on the forum. Bug report is always best with the full project. If you go this route, please provide me with the case # as soon as you get from Unity via automatic email reply.

Thank you for the kind words and you are most welcome :)

38. laessnb

laessnb

I submitted bug #1202856 with the project attached. I got a Connection Closed error from the bug reporter, so I don't know whether the upload went through. I thought none of it had gone through so I also submitted #1202858 with a note to give me an upload share, but that one is probably closeable. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

39. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Pulling the bug files to see if it all made it through. Download is super slow right now (not sure why). I'll let you know once I have the file if everything checks out ok in terms of the download.

40. PJbigscreen

PJbigscreen

When switching to v 1.5.0 preview 2, all of my text objects are thrown off center. Will this be fixed in the final release? Is there a temporary fix for this? (I've been waiting for this release because it solves a bug related to scaling in v 1.4.1 that I posted on earlier)

Attached Files:

41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This should be resolved in Preview 3 but just to make sure, can you provide / export one of those scene from 1.4.1 just to make sure I didn't overlook anything?

42. sbsmith

sbsmith

Any timeline on when preview 3 will be out? I'm hitting these errors after updating my project and in my case, the new essentials folder did not fix things. Though, I might just need to do a complete rebuild of my library.

43. PJbigscreen

PJbigscreen

@Stephan_B
    The layout issue is fixed, but I'm now running into a problem when I apply prefabs. I see an error telling me that the object is missing a mesh filter. One for nearly every TM pro object in the scene. The text then goes blank, and can only be fixed by manually adding a mesh filter, disabling, then enabling. But it clear again when the prefab is applied.

44. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Please make sure you upgrade to Preview 3 for the appropriate version of Unity and let me know if you still have that issue.

45. PJbigscreen

PJbigscreen

Yes, this is on preview version 3.

46. PJbigscreen

PJbigscreen

I've also now found that any prefab that was not in the scene at the time of upgrade have had their text mesh pro objects thrown off center, as described above. Also on preview 3.

47. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of Unity are you using?

48. PJbigscreen

PJbigscreen

49. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of TMP were you using prior to upgrading to Preview 3?

Can you provide me with one of those prefabs that worked correctly in the previous version but has incorrect alignment in the latest release?

Update
    I created several prefabs in 1.4.1 and then upgraded to Preview 3 and their alignments appears all fine. Since this appears to be working fine on my end, I will need a sample of your prefabs or the steps to reproduce them including Unity and TMP version used to create them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  50. PJbigscreen

PJbigscreen

We're using version 1.4.1. Providing the prefabs will probably be too time consuming on my end. I may just have to update each one manually.