Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro Version 1.4.1-Preview 1 with Dynamic SDF for Unity 2018.3 now available!

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Stephan_B, Jan 31, 2019.

1. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

2. JeromeHdz

JeromeHdz

Oh okai got it, thank you very much for your quick answer!

3. SniperED007

SniperED007

I started a new project and upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4.3a with no errors.

Tested my project again with deleting the com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0-preview.3a folder from the cache as well, still the same issue.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you provide me with a repro of this project? Easiest way is to submit a bug report that includes the project and then provide me with the case #.

5. SniperED007

SniperED007

Tested this on another project of mine and had the same issue.
    I think I worked out the issue, once I removed the Incremental Compiler package it managed to install without any errors.

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I would suggest reporting this behavior to the author of that Incremental Compiler package.

7. SniperED007

SniperED007

After investigating further it seems like the Incremental C# Compiler has been deprecated as they say that from 2018.3 the performance is close to what it achieved anyway... so I've just removed it from the project.

8. fben

fben

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you please make a separate thread / post about this since it is not specific to version 1.4.0?

In that post, please provide additional insight on what "this value is"? Do you mean what glyph TMP was unable to find which was eventually replaced by a space?

10. JeromeHdz

JeromeHdz

Sorry for the miss posting on the wrong thread I created a new one and you can erased my post to avoid to encumber this one.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Stephan_B likes this.
  11. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

@Stephan_B Will there be a version of TMP where it doesn't rely on Resources?
    There are a few downsides about resources, not breaking the application but they do cause inefficiency.
    For any change in the resources folders I would have to rebuild the application. If they were in an asset bundle I would be able to just update the asset bundles on the server and won't need to make a new build.
    They are processed every time you create a build.

I tried moving them outside the Resources folder to make them addressable in a bundle but then you'd get other errors loading the fonts because it relies on Resources.

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The problem is that Unity doesn't have any API that allows loading resources at Runtime synchronously outside of the Resources.Load which has the requirement of the assets being located in a Resources folder.

I will be adding a callback to allow loading resources from Asset Bundles. I still have to experiment with that.

13. andyz

andyz

This looks good but I had a previous issue with using TextMeshPro on size critical projects in that resources (like an example font in Resources) and sprites got exported just by importing TextMesh Pro package even if the project didn't use them - is this due to be fixed?

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Installing the TMP package, does not add any resources that would be included in a build. So unless you import the TMP Essential Resources and the TMP Examples & Extras which each include a Resources folder with TMP resources in them, no TMP related resources will be added to a project / build.

If you have lots of font assets and sprite assets but do not use all of them in the project, you can move those outside of a Resources folder to make sure they are not included in a build.

15. andyz

andyz

Well that is the thing, when you go to make a font it suggests installing TMP Essential Resources which includes Font resources like a LiberationSans SDF which are not essential and Emoji sprite assets. So do I need any of those resources or not? (also has a 2016 user guide)

16. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The TMP Essential Resources are essential hence the name.

Once you have imported the TMP Essential Resources, in the TMP Settings file, you can replace the LiberationSans SDF as the Default Font Asset and replace the EmojiOne as the Default Sprite Asset. Make sure you assign replacements for them as newly created text objects need some font asset. Once you have done so, you can move those assets outside the Resources folder. I would suggest keeping them around and if they are outside a Resources folder, they will not get included in builds.

The user guide is still mostly applicable but old indeed. New docs are being worked on.

andyz likes this.
  17. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

Does anybody know how to fix editor becoming irresponsive after updating from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0?

18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you provide more insight on this? This is the first report of something like that.

19. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

Unitu 2018.3.9f1, after updating to 1.4.0 with Package Manager, Editor stops responding when we try to open TextMeshPros settings or enter play mode

20. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Are you getting errors in the console?

Can you provide a Repro of the project or submit a bug report with the project so I can take a look at this?

Like I said, this is the first report of this so I am not sure why / what might be causing this behavior.

If you submit a bug report, please provide me with the case #. If you provide a repro via direct link in a PM or something make sure the link is private and all.

21. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

No errors, whole window just gets not responding.
    I don't really know what causes it, and uploading 10gb project doesn't sound really nice for me.

22. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I can understand that submitting a bug report which includes the project can be time consuming. However, most of the time this ends up being the fastest way to help reproduce and ultimately resolve potential issues.

Let's see if we can figure out what might be happening without a project to look at.

(1) When you reference the Settings, are you talking about the TMP Settings or any text object inspector?

(2) If you create an empty scene and then add a TMP object to it, do you get the same behavior? or does this seem to happen only with specific objects?

(3) Were you using the same version of Unity prior to upgrading to version 1.4.0?

23. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

1. After clicking on "Project Settings"
    2. Will test tomorrow, probably it depends on project, since one of my teammates is also getting this
    3. Yes (and btw. I've tried earlier with 2018.3.7f1 and preview 2, same behaviour)

24. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

To isolate the Project Settings vs specific TMP stuff, see if manually navigating to the TMP Settings which are typically located in "TextMesh Pro/Resources/TMP Settings" allows you to look at the TMP Settings without any issues.

If that works fine then we know the issue isn't with the TMP Settings but with the Project Settings part of this. Sort of narrowing down our search of where the issue my come from.

25. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

But it also does that when starting the play mode

26. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Still trying to figure out what the cause of the issue might be so we have to look / guess and use process of elimination to rule out / isolate different parts.

So back to my earlier question, are you able to manually select the TMP Settings in the Project tab and inspect it without any issues?

27. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

I'll see tomorrow, it's midnight for me now

28. evilock

evilock

No idea if this might be related, but looks like I'm having my automated builds occasionally getting stuck with 1.4.0 upgrading the font assets. This is the last thing in the output:

20:40:31 (Filename: Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_FontAsset.cs Line: 1720)
    20:40:31
    20:40:31 Upgrading font asset [Revolt SDF] Glyph Adjustment Table.
    20:40:31 UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log()
    20:40:31 UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    20:40:31 UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object, Object)
    20:40:31 UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object, Object)
    20:40:31 TMPro.TMP_FontAsset:UpgradeGlyphAdjustmentTableToFontFeatureTable() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_FontAsset.cs:1862)
    20:40:31 TMPro.TMP_FontAsset:InitializeDictionaryLookupTables() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_FontAsset.cs:567)
    20:40:31 TMPro.TMP_FontAsset:ReadFontAssetDefinition() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_FontAsset.cs:602)
    20:40:31 TMPro.TMP_FontAsset:UpgradeFontAsset() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_FontAsset.cs:1847)
    20:40:31 TMPro.TMP_FontAsset:Awake() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_FontAsset.cs:482)
    20:40:31 UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:OpenScene_Injected()
    20:40:31 UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:OpenScene(String, OpenSceneMode)

29. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Does everything appear to work correctly in Unity itself? Can you create manual builds in Unity?

30. evilock

evilock

Yes, everything seems to work fine within the editor.

31. evilock

evilock

One more issue, on an input field with Ellipsis overflow mode, the text field goes blank (as in doesn't render) when I enter a chinese character that should render from my dynamic fallbacks. Other overflow modes seem to work as expected.

Also further input causes this error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    TMPro.TMP_InputField.GenerateCaret (UnityEngine.UI.VertexHelper vbo, UnityEngine.Vector2 roundingOffset) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_InputField.cs:3310)
    TMPro.TMP_InputField.OnFillVBO (UnityEngine.Mesh vbo) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_InputField.cs:3277)
    TMPro.TMP_InputField.UpdateGeometry () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_InputField.cs:3215)
    TMPro.TMP_InputField.Rebuild (UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdate update) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_InputField.cs:3190)
    UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdateRegistry.PerformUpdate () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/CanvasUpdateRegistry.cs:198)
    UnityEngine.Canvas:SendWillRenderCanvases()

I found that omitting the ClearMesh() call on line 2711 of TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs seems to fix this.

32. Onat-H

Onat-H

Hi Stephan,

I'm currently working on the UI animations of our game and I was wondering if there was a way to animate the text alignment, so that the text moves from the center to the left alignment smoothly. I could of course Animate the Bounding box, although this would lead to lots of problems with localization.

Thank you!

33. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unfortunately, there is not.

If I had to implement this, I would start / have TMP layout the text centered. The via a script similar to the Vertex Jitter types, modify / animate the vertices position of the characters on each line.

In the text info, I would get the first and last character of each line. Then calculate the distance between the first character (origin) to 0 (which would be the same as left alignment) and then move each character on that line that amount. Then repeat the process for each subsequent lines.

The characters on each line could be moved at uniform speed or animated.

The same could be done for each lines.

P.S. I would suggest posting your question in the main forum section (Unity UI & TextMesh Pro) as this is not specific to the Dynamic SDF system and this new release and could be something that other users are interested as well but would not find in this specific thread.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  34. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll try taking a look tomorrow and provide feedback thereafter.

35. deviant-dev

deviant-dev

Hmm... I just upgraded from Unity 2019.1.0b8 to Unity 2019.1.0b9 and am getting that "wrong return type" error as mentioned earlier in this thread:

Code (csharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.0\Scripts\Editor\TMP_SettingsEditor.cs(332,91): error CS0407: 'Object TMP_ResourceImporterProvider.GetTMPSettings()' has the wrong return type

36. deviant-dev

deviant-dev

Aha! Deleting the library fixed it. So strange that it happened in the first place.

37. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Although rare, I have run into similar situations where the assemblies for the package didn't get compiled correctly when a new package is being installed. As usual, whenever it happens, I am never able to reproduce it afterwards. This is not specific to TMP but to packages which use assembly definitions.

38. evilock

evilock

Hi Stephan, did you have a chance to look at my Ellipsis issue yet?

39. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I would I go about reproducing the behavior? Can you provide the steps or a repro project?

40. unnanego

unnanego

I get NullReferenceException when trying to paste a text...

41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll need more details / steps to help me reproduce the behavior you are reporting.

What font asset are you using? What text are you copy / pasting / etc.

Also is this specific to version 1.4.0 of TextMesh Pro? If not please post in the main forum (Unity UI & TextMesh Pro) since this thread is specific to version 1.4.0 and the new Dynamic SDF system.

unnanego likes this.
  42. unnanego

unnanego

yes, sorry)

Actually, I did a test - the problem was when pasting a text with both cyrillic and latin symbols (pasting only one of them doesn't result in the error). I'm using the cyrillic range of symbols from San Francisco Medium font. If using the Roboto asset (does it come with TMP? I'm not sure if I made it or it was already there) the error doesn't appear. Also, the error exists both in latest preview and in final version. 1.4.0 of course

43. unnanego

unnanego

Also, I keep getting warning about some missing characters like underline and ellipsis, which are not used in the scene, which also didn't happen with 1.3.0. I tried creating a new atlas, it said there were no missing characters, but the warnings still stay - and there's a lot of them.

44. unnanego

unnanego

Well, I fixed all of it after watching the video on asset creation =)

Stephan_B likes this.
  45. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Glad to know you figured it out.

P.S. Since this is the thread related to the Dynamic SDF system, another option is to create a dynamic font asset or fallback that where these characters would be added automatically.

unnanego likes this.
  46. dadude123

dadude123

Just wanted to drop in to say that the upgrade worked perfectly fine for our project. Good job!

Quick question though:
    Are there any improvements planned for rendering of smaller font sizes?
    Event "Hinted Smooth" is far from the crisp yet anti-aliased rendering like this:
    upload_2019-4-3_12-52-41.png

I thought I heard TMP might be used in the editor at some point, so I guess that's on the agenda somewhere?

47. evilock

evilock

Ah, doesn't seem to be an issue after all. Can't reproduce it exactly anymore but I'm suspecting something at my end was causing an extra line break in the input. The steps for reproducing IndexOutOfRangeExceptions in editor would be just to have the value in an input field start with an empty line:

1) Create a TMPro Inputfield
    2) In "Text" Inspector, set Overflow to Ellipsis
    3) In "Text" Inspector, in the Text Mesh Pro UGUI text area, press enter and enter any text -> bang
    4) Clicking the text in play mode -> bang

Again, probably not a real-life scenario but just in case you want to have a look.

48. psypol

psypol

49. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Only the Mesh Filter / Mesh should remain which is something the prefab team needs to fix since it is not related to TMP but to the Mesh Filter component.

50. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Please create a separate thread which will make it easier to have a discussion about this topic.