Search Unity

"Verified Packages" with conflicting versions

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by fherbst, Oct 2, 2019.

1. fherbst

fherbst

I'm really wondering how packages can be verified on specific Unity versions if their dependencies are not verified.

Example on 2019.2:
    • Rider Editor is 2019.2 verified with version 1.1.1, has dependency on Test Framework 1.1.1
    • Test Framework is 2019.2 verified with 1.0.18, 1.1.1 is not verified.
    How's that dealt with internally? How can a package be verified if dependencies are not? I know that there is a requirement for packages always needing to be -preview if any of their dependencies is -preview. Why is that different with verified?

2. fherbst

fherbst

3. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @fherbst. There are a couple of reasons why this came to be. First, we were lacking an internal process to validate that verified packages do not depend on *non-verified* packages. This was fixed in 2019.3. Second, we want to support *developer* dependencies. In the example you've exposed above, the test framework should not even be a full dependency of the package! This is a development dependency used by the package author and should only be introduced in the dependency graph of your project if you intend to develop the package. This feature is planned for 2020.x releases cycle.

I hope it helps explain this dependency incoherency.

Regards,

Pascal

fherbst likes this.
  4. fherbst

fherbst

Yes, thanks for the explanation!