Search Unity

Velodyne Lidar Viewer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mgear, Feb 22, 2020.

1. mgear

mgear

Hi,

Velodyne Lidar Viewer for Unity
    - Realtime from device live playback and PCAP recorded data viewer.

Now available:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/velodyne-lidar-viewer-158846?aid=1101lGti

upload_2020-2-22_12-28-36.png

Release notes for the first version:

v1.0 (10.2.2020)

First version!

Initial Features
    - Supported lidar devices: UltraPuck (VLP32C), Puck (VLP16)
    - Large PCAP file streaming (stream from disk, required for +2gb pcap files, but can be used with smaller files to instantly start playback)
    - UDP live playback from device (using LAN cable connected to lidar device)
    - PCAP loader (load whole file for playback)
    - Playback controls: Pause,Play,Rewind,Forward (*not available for live stream, except pause)
    - DX11, CommandBuffer and Mesh - rendering modes
    - Special shaders with customizable options (Gradients, Rotation, Filter, Point size, View angle filter, Distance filter..)
    - Using Unity 2017.4.24f1 (but works in later versions also, tested 2018.x, 2019.x)
    - Supports VR (tested on Vive, Rift S, Cosmos, HP Reverb, Oculus Quest*) *Oculus Quest only supports PCAP playback with mesh rendering.
    - Meant for Windows PC only (*possibly works on Mac and Linux - but not supported officially.)
    - Android PCAP playback works on Oculus Quest also.

Limitations
    - HDRP/URP renderpipelines are not yet supported!

Documentation
    - https://github.com/unitycoder/VelodyneLidarViewer/wiki/

Known issues
    - View/report issues on github : https://github.com/unitycoder/VelodyneLidarViewer/issues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer
    VELODYNE is a trademark of Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. (not affiliated with this plugin)

Video

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Neviah likes this.
  2. mgear

mgear

Submitted to store just now.. will see how it goes.

3. mgear

mgear

4. lbb97

lbb97

Hey! This is a great work. is the point clound data produced by unity or from real Lidar? Whether the asset has the function that simulating the point cloud data?Thank you.

5. mgear

mgear

Only from real data, plays live data from device or pcap recordings.

i guess for simulated lidar inside unity can check:
    https://unity.com/solutions/automotive-transportation/autonomous-vehicle-training
    https://github.com/ptibom/Lidar-Simulator
    https://github.com/vwaurich/VelodyneLidarUnitySimulation

6. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Hi, would this possibly work with a live stream from another Lidar, like the Ouster OS0? it sends via UDP.

7. mgear

mgear

in theory yes, just would need to implement the parsing for that format.
    which could be done to my current viewer script, add new method and use that instead of ParseVeloPacket()..

if you have the udp package specs available, i can have a look - to see if it would be difficult or not.

8. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

That sounds great! here are some links to their specs:

https://data.ouster.io/downloads/tcp-http-api-manual/api-manual-v2p0.pdf
    https://data.ouster.io/downloads/software-user-manual/software-user-manual-v2p0.pdf

Hope that is what is needed. If not let me know if course

Best regards

Björn

9. mgear

mgear

ok that does look bit similar packet format, page #12 has the main stuff,
    doing those calculations would give you the point cloud in my viewer too:
    https://data.ouster.io/downloads/software-user-manual/software-user-manual-v2p0.pdf
    and c++ info is available here https://github.com/ouster-lidar/ouster_example

i would estimate it could be like a 1 week of work to get things running.. (*personally no time at the moment, but i'll download those sample files for later, it would be interesting to support other models).

btw. if you have purchased such device, could ask the support if they already have any c# bindings or libraries? (then it would be easy)

10. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Ok, I understand. I have asked them for a unity plugin or similar but Have got no answer yet. I'll remind them and see. Personally I would have a hard time to wrap my head around that integration right now.

11. MFKJ

MFKJ

I have a pcapng and pcap file, do your plugin allow to read it within unity? Currently, I am reading pcap file with external c++ program with a socket server and receiving data in unity.

12. mgear

mgear

is it pcap from one of these models: UltraPuck (VLP32C), Puck (VLP16)
    then it should work (or if you can share me the file, i can test first).

not familiar with pcapng, *googles*, ok probably not supported (unless it has same file format structure with regular pcap)

other option is to replay pcap recording into the unity viewers UDP port, as if it was coming from real device.
    (in case you have some way to do that from external tool or viewer)

13. mgear

mgear

Got another request for Ouster lidar support, let me know here if anyone else is interested.

14. Ultrabeam55

Ultrabeam55

Hi mgear,

I would be very interested in purchasing an Ouster version of this.

I have an Ouster OS1-128 laser. Let me know if you need any data from it or any other help.

I also have Epson Moverio BT-40 AR glasses. Would it be possible to view the live Ouster data with these 3D glasses using the motion sensors in the glasses to direct the view of the lidar data?

Also, I actually have 2 x Ouster lidars. Would the plug in allow viewing data from both sensors at the same time? One lidar is tilted forward at 45 degree. The other is mounted normally in a horizontal plane.

Many thanks for any info.

15. mgear

mgear

ok good to know, i've started some initial works on the Ouster data parsing,
    and might need beta testers later - so will let you know.

btw. Does the Ouster Studio playback your OS1-128 files? Or is there another external viewer available?
    I've had problems opening their sample files in the Studio, only the one lombard_street file works (which seems to be older format?).

AR glasses:
    If its running on a mobile device, then webrtc remote rendering is probably only option to view live data (webrtc stream from desktop).
    If its connected to a pc, then that should work normally (since those glasses seem to work as a monitor(?), just need to get the sensor data to control camera view direction)

current velodyne viewer allows multiple viewers: so that should work for ouster also.

16. Ultrabeam55

Ultrabeam55

Thanks very much for the reply.

Please let me know any time if you need a beta tester. More than happy to help.

I haven't tried playing back any OS1-128 data in Ouster studio but I can log some data and try to see if there are any issues. Would you like some of the data? I don't know of any other external viewer.

My use case is on a remotely operated amphibious vehicle. We use the Ouster lasers for 3D navigation and mapping. We correct the lidar data real time using high end inertial navigation systems correcting for GPS position and pitch and roll. We log the data using QPS QINSY, an industry standard surveying software package. I am looking for a solution to view the Ouster data real time in 3D for navigation remotely and would like the ability to look around the data using the AR glasses.

The AR glasses would be connected to a high spec PC. The glasses are basically a 1920 x1080 display and the 3D is just a side by side image with each image 960 x 1080. I am unsure of the sensor data format but I think it comes through as a serial port. I think the format may be the same as earlier Moverio glasses so potentially covered by the Unity AR Tool Kit.

Many thanks again for your interest in working towards a solution. Look forward to helping and discussing further.

17. sherima

sherima

Hello
    I purchased this at asset store
    but I need Puck Hi-Res
    Do you have any plan to support Puck Hi-Res?

Thanks in advance

18. mgear

mgear

If possible, send me a sample capture file and i'll check.
    (certainly interested to add support for it)

19. mgear

mgear

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  20. mgear

mgear

21. mgear

mgear

News:
    if you have purchased this Velodyne Viewer plugin, you should get automatic 50% discount on the point cloud viewer plugin:
    upload_2022-5-14_21-45-50.png

22. kodamaru1985

kodamaru1985

Hi!
    This is a great work.
    I was surprised to be able to visualize Velodyne steream data very easily.

I want to make Visual Effect using Velodyne steream data.
    Does this asset have the function that pass the point cloud data to VFX graph.
    (For example, the function to convert depth information to attribute map?)

23. mgear

mgear

Not supported, but i will test if its easy to add. (i'll reply here once i know)

kodamaru1985 likes this.
  24. kodamaru1985

kodamaru1985

Thank you for your reply!

25. mgear

mgear

ok it works, but still need to add few things there to support all features, after that i'll submit to store.
    (or: if you are in a hurry, can send me invoice number and i'll send you test version)

test video

26. kodamaru1985

kodamaru1985

Great job!
    This is exactly the function I want.
    I will send you the invoice number in the message on Twitter.

27. mgear

mgear

First drafts from Ouster .pcap parsing working!

This will be separate asset, due to different type of features (i'd like to add that 2D image view too) etc.
    but there will be good discount for existing Velodyne & Point cloud viewer users.
    (still plenty of work, but lets hope its up within this year)
    lidarpreview.gif

bjornsyse likes this.
  28. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Pretty cool! Let me know if you need any beta testing.

mgear likes this.
  29. jhalsema

jhalsema

I'm very interested in using this for a project with a few Ouster OS-1s supporting the concept of these sensors feeding into a high fidelity model of a city. With the work you have done, can the asset consume data from an Ouster yet, or would my team need to do the code modifications?

30. mgear

mgear

The current Velodyne Viewer plugin doesnt support Ouster,
    so need to wait for the Separate Ouster plugin.

Currently testing with "OS2 32, firmware 2.3.0", pcap works, adding live support and few more things, before submitting to store - adding other models after that shouldn't take long.

I will certainly need few beta testers for live devices,
    so i can send you the early versions - once i have OS1 added. (before this goes to store, i'll message when).

31. mgear

mgear

bjornsyse likes this.
  32. jhalsema

jhalsema

Thanks for the update. I'll watch for this and certainly would like to be a Beta tester.

33. mgear

mgear

Note:
    Velodyne Viewer plugin should be on sale (-50%)
    at the "New Year Sale from December 19, 2022 through January 5, 2023"

34. jhalsema

jhalsema

We think this project is going to move ahead soon. Have yu made any progress on doing the integration?

35. mgear

mgear

can follow ouster plugin news here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-ouster-lidar-viewer-plugin-wip.1345199/

Currently i have "OS0-128, OS1-128, OS2-128 Dual Return"
    and "OS0-32, OS1-32, OS2-32 Low data" formats supported
    (its not released yet, but can take beta testers, send private message for that and let me know your device/data format).

36. mgear

mgear

Velodyne viewer,
    Uploaded small update to store!

Experimental support for HDRP VFX Graph & HDRP Custom pass (included as a separate unitypackage inside the plugin, since the base plugin is still released with 2019.4.19f1)

v1.2 (18.05.2023)

Whats New:
    - Add support for HDL-32e device model (model id 33) *No "DUAL return" support
    - Added support HDRP VFX Graph *check "Velodyne Viewer HDRP.pdf" inside Documentation folder
    - Added support HDRP Custom Pass Rendering *check "Velodyne Viewer HDRP.pdf" inside Documentation folder
    - Added support for Mac Metal (experimental shaders added)
    - Fixed: Mesh intensity shader was missing _Granularity property

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/velodyne-lidar-viewer-158846?aid=1101lGti

37. Jonticon

Jonticon

Any chance this will be going on sale anytime soon? Thanks.

38. mgear

mgear

I can add to next sale (when get invited), but not sure when there is one of those big events (like black friday, new year and those)

*also, if you already own Point Cloud viewer, you should get automatic discount when purchasing velodyne viewer. https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...int-cloud-viewer-and-tools-16019?aid=1101lGti

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  39. mgear

mgear

Got invited for New Year sale, so this asset should be there (-50%)
    "December 18, 2023 8am PT - January 10, 2024 8am PT"