Search Unity

Velocity keeps increasing even after wheelcollider.motortorque is set to zero

Discussion in 'Physics' started by mark0191, Mar 23, 2015.

1. mark0191

mark0191

I am currently working on a racing game and I am running into an issue. Currently if I press the forward key all the wheels get a motortorque. But if I release the key after a few seconds then the velocity will keep increasing. How can I make it stop increasing after I release the key?

Current code:

2. Roni92

Roni92

Check whats your axis values are, then check motorTorque values on some wheel. MotorTorque needs to be zero to stop accelerating. Also linq expression in fixedUpdate is not efficent(not good) solution.

3. mark0191

mark0191

The axis values and motortorque do get set to zero

4. BTables

BTables

I have a theory on this one, it could be due to the angular velocity of the wheel as it has a mass of its own. Especially if you are using unity5, where to get any decent forward force you need an absurd amount of torque causing your wheels to be moving stupidly fast.

What I suspect is happening is that the wheel is spinning much faster than the vehicle is moving but not getting traction (like a burnout), after you stop applying torque, the wheel should come back into traction and transfer its momentum to the car, this doesn't happen because your slip curve doesn't cut off fast enough (really hard to get it to do that in unit5)

Im not sure if these concepts are even simulated, it would make sense tho

Try reducing the mass of the wheel and see if it helps

5. mark0191

mark0191

Ah thank you, reducing the mass to 0.1 reduced the problem to it being barely noticealbe. It will do for me.

mustafahtp3 likes this.
  6. IToastPotatoes

IToastPotatoes

This is literally 5 years old but im just commenting to say that you sir are a F***ing genius and have literally fixed my game. Increasing the traction of the wheels has made the drifting incredible and fixed the issue with the car moving when it shouldnt be. Thank you very much.

mustafahtp3 likes this.
  7. lucas_hehe2011

lucas_hehe2011

Thank you so much, I would never have thought of that.