Search Unity

1. Click here to receive a gift with your purchase of Unity Pro or Unity Enterprise.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Veil

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SupaPuerco, Apr 24, 2006.

1. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

This is the result of blindly stumbling around Unity with no prior game making experience. Even if it isn't super amazing, it is a testament to the ease of use provided by the OTEE guys.

Also, critiques would be much appreciated.

2. Sync1B

Sync1B

It looks cool, can you give us a web player or some thing? Not exactly sure what it is. Some nice textures, need more screens! :D

Bill

3. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah it looks pretty nice... it looks like the aftermath of some badass explosion. And I like the burnt portions on the "wing" shape and the turbine. Some of your textures are tiled to the extreme though, like on the i-beams and the wing, turn down the frequency a bit. The ground texture works nicely though, and the glaciers in the background.

4. Scandalon

Scandalon

Also, he could reduce triangle count by 30% with some simple optimizations, and the lighting could be both smoother and faster if he'd just use SpankyTheClown26's lightpack vertex shader. In fact, the composition of the whole scene seems to be weighted too far to the left, the contrast is wrong, and it just doesn't work as a cohesive whole.

Unless it was just a quick test scene he threw together and was saying "Hey, this is nifty"...

Edit...or I could just read the part where he asked for critiques....

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Actually you make a good point, even if he did ask for critiques. There's a fine line between helpful observations and criticism that can be taken the wrong way. I just get excited when I see people's work on these forums and I make comments.

It's a bad habit I picked up from art school :wink:

6. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

I asked for criticism, no worries. It was pretty much quick test scene, since I have approximately zero experience in the game development field. However, I am curious about some of your comments. What makes you think the triangle count is too high? It may well be but I do not know what you are looking at that makes you say that, since some of the surfaces seem to be pretty blocky still to me. Also what do you mean by the lighting would be faster with the SpankyMax2007ShaderProMac thing that I have never heard of? Do you mean there would be a better FPS count? Where is this shader and what does it do? Additionally, I would argue that the scene is not weighted too far to the left, it just depends on where you are standing.

But anyway thanks for the suggestions and I hope to get more!

7. jeremyace

jeremyace

Um, dude, this is a screenshot of a realtime level not a 2D composition. And even so, you don't want everything centered anyway, semetry looks bad. Think Asymmetrical IE: that art technique where you slit the image into 3 cells. Not trying to be cocky or anything, just stating my opinion. :)

It sounds like you are still thinking in terms of 2D art composition. Some of these criticisms just dont make sense or sound fair.

I think constructive criticism it very important, but you can also say something nice about it. It is pretty nice for a first try anyway. Sure it needs work, but it's the guy's first level with Unity. Let's hear some encouragement! :)

For my own answer, I think it looks cool. The textures do need work, as does the lighting, but it is a good first try. (The wing needs a texture for flaps and ailerons as well IMO so it's easy to figure out what it is.

Scandalon: No disrespect meant, just wanted to address some points is all. :)

-Jeremy

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Guys, he was just making a dig at me for making some comments that he thought were rude or uncalled for. His critique was purely sarcastic.

Oh and just in case I'm still coming off as rude or something, I think this is an amazing first stab at a Unity scene.

9. Scandalon

Scandalon

Yes guys, antenna is right...It was (an attempt at) satire. Go back and read it, you'll see I was trying to say outrageous/nonsense things to make that clear. There is no supervertexlighting pack, I'm pretty sure, there is no way (within extremes) to tell how many triangles are in a scene like that (and bringing that up for a simple test scene is rather silly) and yes, talking about how a scene is "weighted" for this medium, in this context, is sillier still. Which was the point.

For my part, I'm actually intrigued by the scene...company plane (Biological research? Pharmaceutical company?) goes down in a remote snowy area...mutant zombies or something similar can't be far behind! ;)

10. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

Heheh... Now that I reread it I feel like a doofus for taking it seriously. :oops: Especially since I myself am sarcastic about 99% of the time. Oh well, such are the limitations of text.

And for the record I thought aNTeNNa trEE's comments were perfectly within the realm of "constructive critique."

11. jeremyace

jeremyace

Heh, cool. Your sarcasm really wasn't/isn't clear though man... I take back my "jumping" on you now. ;)

-Jeremy

unityunity