Search Unity

Vehicle Physics Pro beta, feedback welcome

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Edy, Jan 22, 2016.

1. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Hi Edy.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Maybe I will just go back to Windows 7 in the mean time. Everything worked fine there.

2. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Any info on the Free edition of VPP?

3. Edy

Edy

4. Dreamback

Dreamback

Any idea how to get the "Max Steer Angle" for a particular vehicle? The VPP documentation for setting up steering isn't done yet, and the only stat I can find online for most vehicles is "Turning Circle (feet)". Using that and the wheel base and some quick math, I came up with the inner wheel having a max turn angle of 17 degrees, outer wheel having a max turn angle of 14 degrees, how can I translate that into VPP's "Max Steer Angle" (or is that even the right track)?

Edit: For Max Steer Angle I put in the degrees of a theoretical single wheel in the front center, and the VPP Telemetry show the two wheels being at the expected 14 and 17 degrees, so that appears to be correct. And the car's turning radius matches what I expected. The wheels don't visibly appear to be turning as much as the real life car though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  5. Edy

Edy

I currently calculate (manually, in paper, basic trigonometry) the ideal steer angle considering only the front-most and rearmost wheels of the side the vehicle is rotating to. Then I configure the vehicle with that angle, test it using an orto view so I could measure the actual turning radius, and make the proper adjustments until the radius matches the specifications.

The ideal steering angle doesn't give an exact lecture because other factors also affect the turning radius, especially the ackerman setup.

6. JhonRA22

JhonRA22

Hi Edy. How are you?

I used the (current) VPP demos with my logitech g920, and I have a problem with the gear force, my shifting gear jumps between N, R and 5 (using the shfting gear with the clutch of my analog pedal) ... but dont recognize the intermediate forces (1,2,3, 4) ... is this a problem only of the demos? I need to know this to decide if I buy the VPP for a driving simulator project that I am working on.

Thank you

7. Edy

Edy

It's problem with the demos, as they were built to work with the G27 only. Sorry about that. Recent VPP versions support the G29, and other wheels may be adapted easily. It's just that I don't own them.

Demos are a bit outdated, so I'm working on an updated demo with the most recent features.

8. Dreamback

Dreamback

If we were running at a high rate of FixedUpdates (such as 360fps or even 3000fps), would you recommend using the RK4 solver, since that adds smoothing to the calculations, or the Euler with just 1 substep? For our needs we may need the vehicles to actually move more often than every 1/50th of a second, because we are simulating high speed sensors attached to the moving vehicles (not in realtime).

9. Edy

Edy

At those frame rates Euler with 1 substep would be more than enough. I haven't tested, but using substeps there may even make the results more imprecise due to floating point imprecision at those tiny delta times.

10. Dreamback

Dreamback

That's what we were seeing actually, which is why I made the post :) At 360fps with 4 substeps, our vehicle was suddenly skidding out and flipping, with 1 substep it's fine. I was just wondering if the RK4 system would work better at those high framerates, not lose precision.

11. carking1996

carking1996

Cap the framerate. You never need that high rate anyway.

12. Dreamback

Dreamback

We need the framerate to be 360fps, possibly up to 3000fps in an extreme case (hopefully not, that would be dog slow to run). We don't need Vehicle Physics Pro to be that accurate, but I'm not sure how to cap that aside from lowering the substeps, unless like I ask if RK4 would have that affect.

13. carking1996

carking1996

Why do you need that high? Monitors don't even refresh at that rate.. What are you trying to do that requires it? (I'm a professional developer and can assist in a better solution than "requiring 300 f/s" which is a bit ridiculous :p )

14. Dreamback

Dreamback

We are simulating sensors on autonomous vehicles for non-realtime captures. When FixedUpdates were running at 50fps, the sensors were capturing data while the vehicle they were attached to wasn't moving, causing the resulting sensor data to be inaccurate, since an actual vehicle is constantly moving even in 1/3000th of a second.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  15. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello @Edy

Would there be a hope for a free limited version of this asset? We'd like to try it out and maybe use it.

This asset looks very great, it appears to be the only solution for real vehicle simulation for indie game designers.

However, I think its engine sound simulation needs a lot of work.

Regards.

16. Edy

Edy

@D4N005H yes, current plan is releasing a Free limited version. I'm working on it. I can't tell an ETA though (all my past time estimations failed). You may check the progress almost daily on Twitter:

I already have an advanced engine sound component, but I it's not yet integrated in VPP. An added difficulty is finding licensing-friendly engine sound sets I could include in the package.

Untitl3d and imDanOush like this.
  17. imDanOush

imDanOush

I know about those failed ETAs, it was started back in summer 2016 if you remember!
    BTW, have you tried contacting the author of Realistic Engine Sounds? this guy could help you in regards to the engine sounds.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  18. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

edy can you send me your vehicle physics project please

19. jkleve

jkleve

Hi edy, I have the sdk version. Is there an documentation or reference for the DIWrapper class? I need to implement my own force feedback controls but I cant find much info related to it.

20. Edy

Edy

Please write me to edy@vehiclephysics.com for support. Thank you!

21. Edy

Edy

There are new Vehicle Physics Pro demos available. Windows-only for now.
    EDIT: Windows and Mac OS X versions available:

Feel free to try them and post your feedback. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Untitl3d likes this.
  22. Untitl3d

Untitl3d

Hi
    Any new updates about the free version? the demos look promising!

23. Edy

Edy

I'm working on it, but can't say when it will be available.

24. BayuSM

BayuSM

Im already download this asset at assetstore.im use it to my bus but my bus is hard to steering when in high speed.how to increase steer in high speed?

25. Edy

Edy

I've replied you here:

https://support.vehiclephysics.com/22/how-to-increase-steering

Note that in the case of a bus the aerodynamics apply drag only, no downforce. It's much more important the Steering Limit, the inertia bias and the suspension.

26. nobluff67

nobluff67

Do you have any links to third party models? Specifically the articulated trucks.

27. Edy

Edy

I'd really wish I have! Unfortunately, at this moment I can't recommend a 3D provider I'm entirely satisfied with.

28. jackvob1

jackvob1

Hey, i want to ask about something in VPP, so i want to try ignition button using arduino but when i build it show error but in editor doesnt show any error.

29. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Edy. I'm creating a game demo using free edition by now. Trying to set the gamepad through the new Unity Input System and, obviously, the VPP Standard Input file doesn't work. I guess I have to code my own input script. Is this correct? Or are there some other ways to set joysticks in free version?
    Thanks,
    Joan

30. Edy

Edy

You're correct. VPStandardInput handles the input coming from Unity's standard Input class only.

However, sending the input to VPP vehicles is straightforward. You can write a simple script that receives the values from the Input System, then send the input to the vehicles via their data bus:

https://vehiclephysics.com/advanced/databus-reference/

31. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Edy. Thanks for promptly reply.
    Anyway, every time I create a script with VehicleBehaviour, the script component is disassembled as soon as is called in play mode. Could this be related to the free version?
    Thanks,

32. Edy

Edy

Yes, the Community Edition doesn't support custom vehicle add-ons. Use standard MonoBehaviour instead.

33. joanpescador

joanpescador

Done!! Thank you very much.
    Merry Christmas!