Search Unity

Vehicle Hanger/ Character Inventory

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Enuniq, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Enuniq

Enuniq

Hey guys!

Ok, so I'm not sure where to look, what it's called, or anything. If anyone of you know or play World of Tanks, it has hanger or garage where it stores different tanks. I'm curious how I could achieve the same result. Where you can choose from several different vehicles.
    I'm a slight noobie. :/

Thanks,
    E

2. jessee03

jessee03

Just place multiple tanks in a scene and then setup some kind of Tag system such as tank1, tank2, ect. Then you will need to create a raycast so when the player clicks on a tank it can then check the tag for which tank. From here you can have a variable that keeps track of which tank the player has selected and when the match starts you can just instantiate that specific tank.

3. djfunkey

djfunkey

Just make a scene for the tanks to be viewed in, then you need to script...
    • Make an array and store the tanks in it.
    • Then using the GUI scripting, when a player presses a button (this button corresponds to a certain tank), a tank will be instantiated from the array and you need to delete the one that was previously there.
    • Set this tank as the default to use in your multi-player scene.

4. Enuniq

Enuniq

Thanks, how exactly would I set it as the default. And, what if I wanted to have different tiers (unlock)? How would it know which tank the player bought? Thanks, I'm such a newbie, lol

5. Pirs01

Pirs01

6. djfunkey

djfunkey

Im assuming your writing your scripts in C#

how exactly would I set it as the default?
    Well you could make a new variable gameobject. You would then equal the tank you selected to the gameobject variable. e.g.
    Code (csharp):
    2. public Gameobject defaultTank;
    3. defaultTank = tankSelected;
    what if I wanted to have different tiers (unlock)?
    Well then you could attach a script to each one of your tanks saying whether it is unlockable or not. Next search through each tank in your array to find if it is unlockable using ".GetComponent". if it is then let the player buy it.

How would it know which tank the player bought?
    You could have a money script containing how much money you own.
    You would then subtract the tank amount, from the amount of money you have (if the tank is unloackable).
    You can make a new array list (containing tanks you have bought) and add each tank gameobject to it as you buy it.

In any case you should knuckle down and get to learn the ins and outs of unity scripting :) have fun.

7. Enuniq

Enuniq

Thanks a bunch guys!!!!!