Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vectrosity - Fast and Easy Line Drawing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eric5h5, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

Hello!
    Firstly thanks so much for supporting Vectrosity for so long :)
    I'm running into an issue where lines are being destroyed when the scene is being unloaded. I'd like to manage the lifetime of the line myself but can't seem to access the GameObject to set DontDestroyOnLoad.
    I'm using "VectorLine.SetLine3D(Color.white, new Vector3[steps])" to create the line.

Apologies if I missed something in the documentation, I only see references to the canvas object which I'm not using.
    Thanks!

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can do

Code (csharp):
    1. someLine = VectorLine.SetLine3D(Color.white, new Vector3[steps];
    2. DontDestroyOnLoad(someLine.drawTransform.gameObject);
    --Eric

MylesLambert likes this.
  3. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

Yeah did try drawTransform but it is throwing null for me, could be I'm using an old version since I haven't needed to update.
    Will update and try again.

EDIT:
    Updated to latest, the following still throws null for me,

Code (CSharp):
    1. trajectoryLine = VectorLine.SetLine3D(Color.white, new Vector3[steps]);
    2. Debug.Log(trajectoryLine.drawTransform);
    EDIT:
    Never mind, since updating to latest which replaced the DLL it was easier to resolve by just exposing the GameObject directly.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  4. Kaven-Co-Games

Kaven-Co-Games

So Im surprised you're still offering help for this asset you made so long ago. But I have had question.

I am using Vectrosity to make lines for lasers in my game, I've been trying to give them a little more aesthetic so Im wondering if theres a way to make rays with materials and line thickness? Maybe the ability for them to follow the origin if it moves?

I'm just using basic SetRay3D atm

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but you have more control over lines if you create them using the constructor. i.e., myLine = new VectorLine(...). You can set a material that way, or use VectorLine.material.

--Eric

6. Kaven-Co-Games

Kaven-Co-Games

I guess my main problem is Width scaling to screen(?)

https://i.gyazo.com/2c41ecb42b77039530d1bef8804b76af.mp4

Code (CSharp):
    1.             List<Vector3> points = new List<Vector3> {
    2.                 transform.position, transform.position + transform.forward * range };
    3.             VectorLine myLine = new VectorLine("tacheon Blast", points, laser, 100f, LineType.Continuous);
    4.             myLine.Draw3DAuto();

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well, that's the feature of Vectrosity where it maintains a constant pixel width, so it's probably not the best for that sort of thing. You could manually compute the line width based on camera zoom though.

--Eric

Kaven-Co-Games likes this.
  8. RobertWebb

RobertWebb

Are there guidelines somewhere about when to create multiple lines in a single VectorLine vs when to create multiple VectorLines? I'm curious how big a performance difference it makes.

For example, I'm writing a keyframer. It will show a vertical line for each keyframe. I could put all these in a single VectorLine, or create a separate VectorLine for each.

Pros for single VectorLine:
    • Presumably more efficient (when not requiring a redraw), but by how much?
    Pros for multiple VectorLines:
    • When changing a single key, no need to redraw every key
    • May be more efficient while dragging one key, meaning it needs to redraw every frame while moving
    I couldn't find much discussion about this.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It depends entirely on the effect of draw calls in Unity, which in turn depends on the graphics API used (OpenGL vs Vulkan for example). If you're talking about one VectorLine vs several VectorLines, I wouldn't worry about it. One vs hundreds could be more of an issue.

--Eric

RobertWebb likes this.
  10. flipwon

flipwon

This seems to be a VR only thing, but it seems the width of the line actually increases as it gets further away from the camera. I'm not sure if this is something you're aware of, any ideas?

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, in order for the width to remain a constant pixel value. There's no way around that for lines in 3D space.

--Eric

12. flipwon

flipwon

Damn, that's a shame. Really don't want to go back to built in line renderer but I don't think I have a choice :(

Are there any plans on having an option to display them differently?

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, sorry.

--Eric

14. atbrief

atbrief

Hi @Eric5h5
    Great plug-in was using it for a while now. I am on Unity 2020 and Vectrosity 5.5
    I have started to see the problems with lines while orbiting perspective camera. I am using Draw3DAuto.

Two questions:
    1. How to fix not straight lines ?
    2. Is there a way to keep line texture in place as currently it is sliding while orbiting the camera or updating points position?

Thank you

Here is my script and small animation:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class LineDrawer : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     [SerializeField] private LineConfigurationSO lineConfig;
    4.     [SerializeField] private PolygonRuntimeSetSO polygons;
    6.     private VectorLine vectorLine;
    7.     private VectorLine vectorPoint;
    9.     private void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         SetupLines();
    12.         SetupPoints();
    13.     }
    15.     // Setup Vectro Lines
    16.     private void SetupLines()
    17.     {
    18.         // Setup Vector Line
    19.         vectorLine = new VectorLine(lineConfig.lineName, new List<Vector3>(), lineConfig.lineWidth, LineType.Continuous);
    20.         vectorLine.color = lineConfig.lineColor;
    21.         vectorLine.texture = lineConfig.lineTexture;
    22.         vectorLine.textureScale = 1.0f;
    23.     }
    25.     // Setup Vectro Points
    26.     private void SetupPoints()
    27.     {
    28.         // Setup Vector Point
    29.         vectorPoint = new VectorLine(lineConfig.lineName + " point", new List<Vector3>(), lineConfig.pointWidth, LineType.Points);
    30.         vectorPoint.color = lineConfig.pointColor;
    31.         vectorPoint.texture = lineConfig.pointTexture;
    32.         vectorPoint.textureScale = 1.0f;
    33.     }
    35.     // Draw graphics
    36.     public void DrawGraphics()
    37.     {
    38.         foreach (var polygon in polygons.Items)
    39.         {
    40.             DrawLines(polygon.Nodes);
    41.             DrawPoints(polygon.Nodes);
    42.         }
    43.     }
    45.     // Draw lines
    46.     private void DrawLines(List<Node> nodes)
    47.     {
    48.         vectorLine.points3.Clear();
    49.         foreach(var node in nodes)
    50.         {
    51.             vectorLine.points3.Add(node.Position);
    52.             vectorLine.Draw3DAuto();
    53.         }
    54.         if (!lineConfig.isLineOpen && vectorLine.points3.Count > 2)
    55.         {
    56.             vectorLine.points3.Add(nodes[0].Position);
    57.             vectorLine.Draw3DAuto();
    58.         }
    59.     }
    61.     // Draw points
    62.     private void DrawPoints(List<Node> nodes)
    63.     {
    64.         if (lineConfig.displayPoints)
    65.         {
    66.             vectorPoint.points3.Clear();
    67.             foreach (var node in nodes)
    68.             {
    69.                 vectorPoint.points3.Add(node.Position);
    70.             }
    71.             vectorPoint.Draw3DAuto();
    72.         }
    73.     }
    74. }
    LinesProblem.gif

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

1) That's usually the result of long, thin polygons, where the texture has issues being rendered properly by 3D hardware. If the lines are made from multiple shorter segments instead of long segments, that's much less visible.
    2) This is a lot harder since it's going against what Vectrosity is trying to do. That's an inevitable result given that it's screen-space oriented for drawing lines, even lines in 3D space. You could draw the shape when it's facing the camera, and then not update the line anymore after it's done (so you would not use Draw3DAuto). However the lines will naturally lose the "always maintain constant pixel width" feature.

--Eric

atbrief likes this.
  16. atbrief

atbrief

Thank you @Eric5h5
    Question 2 is ok for now.
    Question 1. Is there another way to deal with it?
    All my points are coming from ScriptableObject which I use in other places as well (for mesh generation)
    Do not want to add extra points

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not that I know of, sorry...it's caused by the way hardware renders textures on polygons, which isn't something that can be changed, only worked around.

--Eric

atbrief likes this.
  18. atbrief

atbrief

Hi @Eric5h5
    Jus to add to my question. The image with building it is what I want to get. Lines in 3d behind building.
    I tried Screen space lines, they do not have this problem, but obviously they are on top of the 3d objects.
    Maybe I can use screen space lines with some sort of mask ?
    Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 19.54.43.png Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 19.55.37.png

19. atbrief

atbrief

If not, Is there a Utility tool on Vectrosity to add more points? method / function which takes start and end position ?

20. atbrief

atbrief

If not. I think I can do it. Should be straight forward

21. atbrief

atbrief

Also how can I get V5.6 ? Maybe it works better

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's the latest version on the store, but it's a minor update that works the same. I don't think there's any way to mask 2D lines like that since they're drawn on a canvas. Adding more points between two existing points is simple, yes; you can just use Lerp.

--Eric

23. OddViz

OddViz

Hi Eric,
    I'm running into an issue with Vectrosity using multiple cameras.

I have one perspective camera, and one orthographic top-down camera, which i can see side-by-side. On both I wish to render a grid of lines. The problem is the lines always reference the same camera. So if I use SetCamera3D on the perspective camera, moving the perspective camera changes the line widths in the top view camera, and vice versa.

I've tried setting the camera and then drawing the lines using OnPreRender, but this doesn't seem to work, the second SetCamera3D always overrides the first before drawing the lines.

Is there a way to have Vectrosity reference two cameras simultaneously? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You're not missing anything, sorry; there isn't really a way to reference two cameras, short of rewriting the source to behave differently.

--Eric

25. chrpetry

chrpetry

Hello,

I just tried Unity 2022.1.1f and it seems I have problems with VectorLine objects.
    Can't seem to get "Vector Object 2D" to render anymore.
    In the "Scene View" the start & end point shows up as Editor UI but no lines are drawn.

EDIT: I'm using the built-in render pipeline.

Do you have an idea?

Best regards,
    Christian

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Hi, using Unity 2022.1.1, I can load any of the demo scenes and they function normally. You could try starting a new empty project to make sure it works there.

--Eric

27. Artpen

Artpen

Hi @Eric5h5

What would be the most efficient way to updated List of points in VectroLine ?
    I have a Run time List of Vector3's and I am changing it over time. I am using it to create lines.
    Any advice?

Also how to make a closed line ? connect last and first points, is there a function for it or should I make it.

Thank you

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

VectorLines use List<Vector2> or List<Vector3>, so yes that's the most efficient way of updating points. To connect first and last points, just have the first point and last point be the same.

--Eric

Artpen likes this.
  29. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

I was just using Vectrosity to prototype some ideas and was using the MakeSpline function to draw a curvy line along some targets for the user to navigate.

Very quickly making a script using some hardcoded vector3's in a list (and pretty much replicating what was in the Spline demo project) everything looked ok in my scene

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 14.27.09.jpg

However, when I ran my full project - and the differences we have here is that there's a "base" set of common gameobjects that aren't destroyed and then scenes are loaded under the control of all this stuff - anyway, what appeared to happen is that the spline only drew itself to a certain number of points.

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 14.28.24.jpg

The line sort of thins out after the point furthest from the camera. I thought this might be down to the camera - I do have my main player object tagged as MainCamera, but I also activated the temporary one I used in the scene to set it up and removed all the other cameras and still got the same result. So then I thought - ah, perhaps this is an issue with loading the scene and there's certain things that are in a weird state when we ask the script to run, so I deactivated the parent game object that was holding the script and then activated it after the main code had run up, and I got a different result again.

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 14.39.27.jpg

This time almost the inverse of the previous one with the top area not being drawn, but the bottom area looking correct.. It seems all a bit curious, and I'm wondering if you can suggest any reason or circumstance this might happen so I can work around them. The code is as simple as it gets - hardcoded vector3 points (like I said, it's a quick prototype and a single draw)

Code (CSharp):
    1. public List<Vector3> splinePoints = new List<Vector3>();
    4.     void Start()
    5.     {
    6.         Vector3 basePoint = new Vector3(1777.514f, -74.33327f, 1344.873f);
    7.         splinePoints.Add(basePoint + new Vector3(24.09583f, 121.0733f, -214.4733f));
    8.         splinePoints.Add(basePoint + new Vector3(24.09583f, 119.7933f, -56.87329f));
    9.         splinePoints.Add(basePoint + new Vector3(-42.21411f, 119.8233f, 73.12671f));
    10.         splinePoints.Add(basePoint + new Vector3(-164.9142f, 121.8333f, -36.97327f));
    11.         splinePoints.Add(basePoint + new Vector3(-185.8142f, 118.2333f, -188.5732f));
    12.         splinePoints.Add(basePoint + new Vector3(-171.7441f, 126.2133f, -376.7933f));
    14.         var spline = new VectorLine("Spline", new List<Vector3>(100), 2.0f, LineType.Continuous);
    15.         spline.MakeSpline(splinePoints.ToArray(), 99, true);
    16.         spline.Draw3D();
    17.     }

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's definitely drawing the lines so they are oriented toward a different camera than the one you want. I'd suggest using SetCamera3D with the desired camera.

--Eric

31. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

I just gave that a go, but still getting the same result. The most confusing thing here is how the line just fades away, despite having the other points in the spline and loop being set to true. If I highlight the resulting spline from the updated code wth the SetCamera3D in place) you can see how both ends taper off.

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 23.40.18.jpg

32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You do need to keep the line updated whenever the camera moves, in case you're not doing that. (Using Draw3DAuto or manually.)

--Eric

33. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

Aha - this was it, I was using Draw3D(). This is what happens when you speed read the docs and don't pay enough attention - I thought Draw3D was doing the automatic update per frame.... makes much more sense that Draw3DAuto() would do :) I guess what might have been happening with that incomplete line is it drew where the camera may have been during initialisation (so culling off what couldn't be seen) but when my camera moved as the game intialised we are left with an incomplete loop from the original draw?

Anyway, moves me on forwards. Thanks for your help!

34. pretender

pretender

Hi Eric, I have a question about using drawTransform, it would be very useful since I want to make gizmo using vectrosity and I want it automatically update when i move the object.

currently it's just two lines drawn in the base of the object (like axis) but when i use drawTransform lines are moved with some offset, they are not in the center any more, when not using drawTransform then lines are in the center without offset. Just to mention that root has some offset but i am using world position of the child (which local is zero but world isn't, it should account for the offset of the parent?)

do you know what to look out for? or am i doings something wrong?

code is pretty straightforward

Code (CSharp):
    2. // create two lines for axis
    3.             var x = new VectorLine("x",
    4.                 new List<Vector3> { selection.transform.position, selection.transform.position + Vector3.forward },
    5.                 null,
    6.                 4f, LineType.Continuous);
    8.             x.drawTransform = selection.transform;
    9.             x.Draw();
    11.             var z = new VectorLine("z",
    12.                 new List<Vector3> { selection.transform.position, selection.transform.position + selection.transform.right },
    13.                 null,
    14.                 4f, LineType.Continuous);
    16.             z.drawTransform = selection.transform;
    17.             z.Draw()
    19. ;

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I suspect the values of points in the lines are adding the offset, and should probably be zero in this case. That way the value is supplied by the position of the objects using drawTransform.

--Eric

36. pretender

pretender

I am not sure what you mean,
    here is the hierarchy of the object

root (has position and rotation -> I want this object as drawTransform
    - container (zero position and rotation)
    - mesh and collider (zero position and rotation)

so when i use raycasting to select the object i get the one with mesh and collider and i use transform.position and that is world position and it has values of the root so lines are rendered at correct positions

but when i set the line to use drawTransform of the root (which is moving) it adds the offset of something, what is correct way to do this?

thank you!

37. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I mean that the points should not contain selection.transform.position and selection.transform.position + Vector3.forward, but rather Vector3.zero and Vector3.forward. You can't supply the position in the points and then add that same position using drawTransform; that's why you get an offset. You must pick one of the two: either use drawTransform or supply transform.position manually in the points list.

--Eric

38. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I'll ask: Is there any way (even if hacky) to have multiple textures on a single line? I.e. specifying a texture per point/segment like with colors?

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I think it might be possible to make a shader that uses different textures based on vertex colors, so using different line segment colors would result in different textures.

--Eric

40. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Thanks, I'll look into that!

41. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

hello and thanks for vectrosity however it seems i cant make it run smoothly @Eric5h5
    here is my simple scenario MAKE BONES VISIBLE USING VECTROSITY in runtime
    please note my character moving every frame
    the script that i wrote is working but after a few seconds of entering play mode the FPS decrease to zero until engine crash!
    also lines doesn't move with the bones at all even using myline.transform! ,
    i know that's because calling draw on update but im very confused where to put that?
    i will appreciate for the right path!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You keep adding points every frame forever, so yes it will crash. You have to not do that. In the future, please post code as code, not as a screenshot.

--Eric

Pourya-MDP likes this.
  43. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

hey , so sorry for the screen shot , dont know why i felt its a better way!
    can you please guid me on how to draw those bones!

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Just add the points once, not every frame.

--Eric

45. gumboots

gumboots

Hi Eric, hope you're well! I'm seeing an issue when trying to draw a thin-to-fat arrow with Vectrosity. Basically there's a treshold of fatness at the end where the end cap suddenly flips. Is this something silly I'm doing?

Here's the code I'm using just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ArrowTest : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     const int COUNT = 10;
    3.     readonly List<Vector3> _points =  new();
    4.     readonly List<float> _width =  new();
    6.     public Texture2D _lineTexture;
    7.     public Texture2D _arrowHeadTexture;
    9.     VectorLine _line;
    11.     [SerializeField] float _startWidth = 5;
    12.     [SerializeField] float _endWidth = 40;
    14.     void Awake() {
    15.         for (int i = 0; i < COUNT; i++) {
    16.             _points.Add(Vector3.zero);
    17.             if (i != 0) { _width.Add(0); }
    18.         }
    20.         VectorLine.SetEndCap("Arrow", EndCap.Front, _lineTexture, _arrowHeadTexture);
    21.         _line = new VectorLine("Arrow Test", _points, 20, LineType.Continuous, Joins.Weld) {
    22.             endCap = "Arrow",
    23.             drawTransform = transform
    24.         };
    26.         _line.MakeArc(transform.position, Vector3.back, 1.5f, 1.5f, 180, 270);
    27.     }
    29.     void Update() {
    30.         float step = (_endWidth - _startWidth) / _width.Count;
    31.         for (int i = 0; i < _width.Count; i++) { _width[i] = _endWidth - step * i; }
    32.         _line.SetWidths(_width);
    34.         _line.Draw();
    35.     }
    36. }

46. gumboots

gumboots

I also can't seem to figure out how to make an arc travel in the opposite direction. I want to draw from 0 to 180, but I can't seem to make this happen counter-clockwise. (I'm using arrow end caps, so can't simply flip the values.)

47. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Hi, I suspect that's to do with unwanted behavior when line segments are very small but also very thick, which basically causes the math to break. You'd need to have longer or thinner segments. For arcs, they're always defined using a clockwise order, so you can either define another end cap where the front and back textures are exchanged, or just use Vector3.forward for the up vector as opposed to Vector3.back.

--Eric

gumboots likes this.
  48. Benjamin_TYM

Benjamin_TYM

Hey, Is there a good way to avoid large allocations when creating VectorLines?

I'm creating an array of vectorlines before combining their meshes but causing a lag due to garbage allocation / collection.

Potentially could use a simple object pooling method but checking if there is an intended usage before going down that route.

Many thanks!

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I wouldn't recommend using Vectrosity like that. If you have a number of lines, using a discrete line to draw them as a series of "separate" (but not really) lines is more efficient.

--Eric

50. Benjamin_TYM

Benjamin_TYM

Would that be essentially drawing multiple lines within a single new VectorLine? How would you add space between each "seperate" line? ie point A > B and C > D rather than A > B > C > D.