Search Unity

Question Vector3 could not be found. What does that mean?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Party_Rocker, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Party_Rocker

Party_Rocker

2. halley

halley

Must match the case exactly:
    Vector3
    (and also
    Input.GetKey
    )

Bunny83 likes this.
  3. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

Don't post screenshots... Always copy and pate raw code into code tags.

Bunny83 likes this.
  4. Party_Rocker

Party_Rocker

How do you match them?

5. Party_Rocker

Party_Rocker

Sorry

6. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

You're making a bunch of typos. That's going to stop your code from compiling. You can't make typos when programming. C# requires exactly matching capitalization and exactly matching spelling. If in doubt, try looking at the official reference documents or searching on Google.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/

The second screenshot (edit your post to use code tags, please) has 2 different capitalization errors and 1 spelling error, and you repeat these mistakes several times. Look at what the Console in the Unity Editor tells you. It tells you the line where the problem is and the word that is wrong. Check the documentation pages (you can use the search box in those sites) to see what the correct capitalization is.

Bunny83 and orionsyndrome like this.
  7. Bunny83

Bunny83

Maybe there's a bit of a language barrier? I'm not a native english speaker myself, so let me try to be more clear. Most programming languages, including C#, are case sensitive. That means that the letter case of each letter in a word has to be correct. So the type you wanted to use is
    Vector3
    however you wrote
    vector3
    . In C# it is a convention that all type names use "PascalCase". So type / class names usually start with a capital letter.

When you use a proper IDE like Visual Studio, it should help you pick the correct types as it provides autocomplete functionality.

You have a lot of spelling mistakes which would all be obvious if you use Visual Studio as IDE. More specifically

Input
    not
    input

GetComponent
    not
    GetComonent

Rigidbody
    not
    Ridgidbody

Vector3
    not
    vector3

8. Party_Rocker

Party_Rocker

Thanks, I didn't notice the spelling errors. I guess I must be tired of typing code trying to get my player object to move.

9. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

That does not change the requirement for software: EVERYTHING must be typed 100% correctly, no exceptions.

Be sure you're not wasting your time by doing this while "too tired."

Tutorials and example code are great, but keep this in mind to maximize your success and minimize your frustration:

How to do tutorials properly, two (2) simple steps to success:

Step 1. Follow the tutorial and do every single step of the tutorial 100% precisely the way it is shown. Even the slightest deviation (even a single character!) generally ends in disaster. That's how software engineering works. Every step must be taken, every single letter must be spelled, capitalized, punctuated and spaced (or not spaced) properly, literally NOTHING can be omitted or skipped.

Fortunately this is the easiest part to get right: Be a robot. Don't make any mistakes.
    BE PERFECT IN EVERYTHING YOU DO HERE!!

If you get any errors, learn how to read the error code and fix your error. Google is your friend here. Do NOT continue until you fix your error. Your error will probably be somewhere near the parenthesis numbers (line and character position) in the file. It is almost CERTAINLY your typo causing the error, so look again and fix it.

Step 2. Go back and work through every part of the tutorial again, and this time explain it to your doggie. See how I am doing that in my avatar picture? If you have no dog, explain it to your house plant. If you are unable to explain any part of it, STOP. DO NOT PROCEED. Now go learn how that part works. Read the documentation on the functions involved. Go back to the tutorial and try to figure out WHY they did that. This is the part that takes a LOT of time when you are new. It might take days or weeks to work through a single 5-minute tutorial. Stick with it. You will learn.

Step 2 is the part everybody seems to miss. Without Step 2 you are simply a code-typing monkey and outside of the specific tutorial you did, you will be completely lost. If you want to learn, you MUST do Step 2.

Of course, all this presupposes no errors in the tutorial. For certain tutorial makers (like Unity, Brackeys, Imphenzia, Sebastian Lague) this is usually the case. For some other less-well-known content creators, this is less true. Read the comments on the video: did anyone have issues like you did? If there's an error, you will NEVER be the first guy to find it.

Beyond that, Step 3, 4, 5 and 6 become easy because you already understand!

Finally, when you have errors, don't post here... just go fix your errors! Here's how:

The complete error message contains everything you need to know to fix the error yourself.

The important parts of the error message are:

- the description of the error itself (google this; you are NEVER the first one!)
    - the file it occurred in (critical!)
    - the line number and character position (the two numbers in parentheses)
    - also possibly useful is the stack trace (all the lines of text in the lower console window)

Always start with the FIRST error in the console window, as sometimes that error causes or compounds some or all of the subsequent errors. Often the error will be immediately prior to the indicated line, so make sure to check there as well.

Look in the documentation. Every API you attempt to use is probably documented somewhere. Are you using it correctly? Are you spelling it correctly?

All of that information is in the actual error message and you must pay attention to it. Learn how to identify it instantly so you don't have to stop your progress and fiddle around with the forum.

Remember: NOBODY here memorizes error codes. That's not a thing. The error code is absolutely the least useful part of the error. It serves no purpose at all. Forget the error code. Put it out of your mind.

10. Party_Rocker

Party_Rocker

I fixed the problem, thanks for the help everyone