Search Unity

Vector/SVG animation in unity?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Darkvinter, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Darkvinter

Darkvinter

Hi all,
    I've been doing a lot of research to see if SVG animation is supported yet and haven't found anything. I read that the Vector Graphics package doesn't support animation; what exactly does this mean, and does anyone know of a workaround? I'm making a mobile game, so SVGs are the way to go for minimal game size and crisp images on all screen sizes. I'd also like to know if anyone's used Synfig Studio to create animations for Unity. I saw some unanswered questions from 2013 asking that!

If all else fails, I suppose I can just have vectors for the static images and use PNGs for the animated stuff.

2. UnitDan

UnitDan

Im waiting for svg animation capability too. The best mathching I found is https://github.com/leetful/U.movin
    but it has not the possibilitys as lottie/bodymovin has for web animation. Its based on AfterEffects which would be a powerfull workflow. I have not tested U.movn yet, because it hast not the features I need, but I know lottie is great for web. Something similar or a port would be great for unity. Maybe its the tool you need or the path you can search on. Let us know if you find something good.

MissingNo7 and leisztom like this.
  3. DryreL

DryreL

I was also looking for Flash type svg animation tool for Unity

4. RichardKain

RichardKain

The issue is that some manner of custom rendering engine would likely be needed. This sort of thing is more likely in this day and age, but would still require a sizable amount of work. Vectors don't operate the same way as standard rendering. And they particularly aren't optimized for rendering with standard GPUs. So while it is possible, it isn't standard.

Theoretically, you would need a means of translating standard vector graphics into dynamically generated meshes. The closest equivalent between the two is polygons and vertices. Modern 3D cards are beefy enough in their polygon pushing that you should likely be able to push some fairly smooth rendering with that approach.

5. meer59

meer59

Hi, any news with vector graphics animation for Unity3d. Tried Rive.app, Rive is amazing to do animation, supports runtime too and works very well with Unity partially with its developed plugin. I have tried it but failed to get a good result when Backend Scripting is changed IL2CPP on Android devices. Didn't find any good help to resolve this. It's a shame that Unity3d hasn't gone in this direction while the world has moved so much towards Vector graphics. Unity has a beta package for SVG support and has been so for ages without much progress.

leisztom likes this.