Search Unity

Official Vector Graphics Preview Package

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by rustum, May 4, 2018.

1. Pawl

Pawl

Hey guys, I just wanted to share some work in progress stuff I've been creating for the Unity2DChallenge and say thanks for creating the Vector Graphics package! After a couple minor road bumps I've been making good progress (albeit with programmer art so far).

Here's an (unoptimized) WebGL export that even works on some modern mobile browsers:

http://paulewers.com/pewers/tiltywings/

Thanks devs!

benoitd_unity and mcoted3d like this.
  2. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Very nice, silky smooth vector graphics! Thanks for sharing!

3. Pawl

Pawl

Quick question, I'm trying to export a basic circle (with a gradient) from Affinity Designer as SVG, but Unity keeps spitting out "Incomplete mesh data in Sprite". However when I replace the gradient with a solid color and reexport, it imports fine.

This is the generated SVG src:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"><svg width="54px" height="54px" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xml:space="preserve" xmlns:serif="http://www.serif.com/" style="fill-rule:evenodd;clip-rule:evenodd;stroke-linejoin:round;stroke-miterlimit:1.41421;"><path id="GradientHill" d="M0.012,26.717c0,-14.743 11.97,-26.713 26.714,-26.713c14.743,0 26.713,11.97 26.713,26.713c0,14.743 -11.97,26.713 -26.713,26.713c-14.744,0 -26.714,-11.97 -26.714,-26.713Z" style="fill:url(#_Linear1);"/><defs><linearGradient id="_Linear1" x1="0" y1="0" x2="1" y2="0" gradientUnits="userSpaceOnUse" gradientTransform="matrix(3.2714e-15,-53.4261,53.4261,3.2714e-15,26.7255,53.43)"><stop offset="0" style="stop-color:#9d9d9d;stop-opacity:1"/><stop offset="0.47" style="stop-color:#e9e9e9;stop-opacity:1"/><stop offset="1" style="stop-color:#fff;stop-opacity:1"/></linearGradient></defs></svg>
    Any thoughts?

4. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

What happens is that Affinity Designer exported the gradient definition *after* the path that uses it. Although this seems to be conformant with the SVG spec, we do not currently support this and we require the <def> section to be defined before the elements that reference it.

We will try to improve on this in future versions of the SVG importer. In the meantime, maybe there's an option to force Affinity Designer to export the gradient definitions ealier in the file? For your example, I manually moved the <def> section before the <path> to fix it.

Pawl likes this.
  5. Pawl

Pawl

Ahh, I see. Thanks for digging in. Asking in the Affinity forums now.

6. Pawl

Pawl

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  7. ecurtz

ecurtz

There's something wrong with enabling the flipYAxis setting for VectorUtils.FillMesh(), but unfortunately I haven't figured out exactly what yet, It might be messing up the bounds somehow or doing some clipping? I'll try to get an good reproducible case, but I thought maybe somebody else has seen it?

8. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I just had a quick look and I think there might be a bug in the way we flip the vertices. I think we fail to take the bounds origin into account when flipping, so that setting flipYAxis to true may only work if the bounds start at the origin. We'll try to solidify this in the next version. In the meantime, you can probably modify the Mesh object manually after calling FillMesh with flipYAxis = false.

9. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

It would probably be a bit fragile, but it's worth a try. You could textually search for the <def> section and bring it directly under the root <svg> element with string manipulation. Again, this feels fragile/error prone but may work just fine if your .svg files have a predictable format.

Pawl likes this.
  10. leetful

leetful

11. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I would think this is a general problem that you can encounter with any sprite (not just SVG). Setting the transparency sort mode of the camera to "Orthographic" would help:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera-transparencySortMode.html

You can also look at the sprites "Order In Layer" to see if that helps as well.

12. CodogXII

CodogXII

Oh boy... I have a problem.

I'm using asset bundles and I've added SVG files to the asset bundles I'm using. When I instantiate the prefab as a GameObject, the object appears without any color other than debugger pink/purple. I dug a bit and figured out that I could use the following code.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         GameObject go;
    3.         GameObject rcPrefab = ShelfManager.bundleLoaded.LoadAsset<GameObject>(gameObjectData.imageName);
    5.         if (rcPrefab != null)
    6.         {
    7.             go = GameObject.Instantiate(rcPrefab);
    8.             go.name = gameObjectData.label;
    10.             SpriteRenderer rcRenderer = go.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
    12.             if (rcRenderer != null)
    13.             {
    14.                 Material rcMaterial = rcRenderer.material;
    16.                 Material rcShader = ShelfManager.bundleLoaded.LoadAsset<Material>(rcMaterial.name.Replace(" (Instance)", ""));
    18.                 if (rcShader != null)
    19.                 {
    20.                     rcRenderer.material = Material.Instantiate(rcShader); // new Material(rcShader);
    21.                 }
    23.                 /*                if (rcMaterial.name.Contains("Unlit_VectorGradient"))
    24.                                   {
    25.                                       rcRenderer.material = new Material(Shader.Find("Unlit/VectorGradient"));
    26.                                   }
    27.                                   else if (rcMaterial.name.Contains("Unlit_Vector"))
    28.                                   {
    29.                                       rcRenderer.material = new Material(Shader.Find("Unlit/Vector"));
    30.                                   }*/
    32.             }
    33.         }
    Okay... so this works on an Android Device... however, in the editor all the GameObjects are pink. The material is set to Unlit_Vector and Unlit_GradientVector. If I set them manually at this point, the become their proper color despite the fact that they are exactly the same Unlit_Vector or Unlit_GradientVector. To complicate this... the code in comments works in the editor but not on the Android device. On the android with the commented code, we end up with pink shapes.

Here is a video capture of the behavior in the editor. Any assistance you can render would be amazing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiih74ctqom7s0s/Unity 2018.2.17f1 (64bit) - [PREVIEW PACKAGES IN USE] - shelf.unity - CuriousReader - Android _DX11 on DX9 GPU_ 12_3_2018 2_37_39 PM.mp4?dl=0

I verified that the object loaded is indeed the .svg and not the sprite, btw.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  13. Lancelot-Bleu

Lancelot-Bleu

I switched platform and tried to run my game in WebGl editor.

I noticed that the alpha channel is not working on any sprite renderer in editor (It's perfectly fine with the standalone PC/Mac version). (See picture for my alpha test).

Not sure if I need to setup any special shader or if it's a (known or not) bug.

I'm running unity 2018.3.b12 using Vector Graphics .22 in vector mode.

AlphaWebGl.png AlphaWebGLInspector.jpg

14. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This shouldn't happen, and you shouldn't have to patch the materials after loading the asset (assuming the vector graphics package is installed in the target project from which you load the bundled assets). It seems that the material references are broken in the asset bundle. I could not reproduce on my side, so if you could send a simple project that reproduces the issue, that would be appreciated.

15. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I think the editor is running in a mode that doesn't support GPU instancing, which is required for sprite tinting at the moment.

Look under "Edit > Graphics Emulation" to see if you're running on a lower tier. Also check the player settings to select an appropriate graphics device API.

16. RaymondEllis

RaymondEllis

Can't seem to get gradients to work on a canvas.
    First is Sprite Renderer
    Second is SVG Image
    upload_2018-12-3_20-31-46.png

In case anyone else is trying to get a vector sprite swapped button. It doesn't seem possible at the moment. (Wouldn't take much if you thought branching UnityEngine.UI sounds fun.)
    However it's simple to get the same effect by using a animation transition.

Attached Files:

17. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

There's one tweak that you must do to make it work. On your canvas, select "TexCoord2" in the "Additional Shader Channels".

garyhaus and RaymondEllis like this.
  18. Lancelot-Bleu

Lancelot-Bleu

My setting was [Graphic Emulation : WebGl1.0] [Shader Hardware Tier 3]. Thanks for pointing me that.

The Hardware tier is making no difference (1, 2 or 3) with the alpha. But if I switch to WebGl 2.0 or no emulation the alpha is working perfectly, no matter the hardware tier.

In webgl 1.0, the hardware tier does'nt seem to make any difference over the alpha, it's not working.

I also noticed that in WebGl1.0 if I use the animator with svg images the alpha is correctly blended in my animations. I don't know if they bypass the emulation or use a different way to render the textures.

By looking at Unity's web compatibility chart https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-browsercompatibility.html I noticed that WebGl 2.0 is not supported over edge and Safari. Is alpha blending with WebGl 1 will be in the roadmap for the vector graphics (bug or feature)? Could you reproduce it on your side?

19. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Yes, it's a known limitation. We currently require GPU instancing for vector sprite tinting since the color channel is already used to store the shape colors. Providing an alternate solution for tinting is on the roadmap.

Lancelot-Bleu likes this.
  20. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Using Vector Graphics 1.0.0-preview.22 on Unity 2018.2.15f1, if I create prefab from an object that has a nested SVG sprite, I receive this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Could not extract GUID in text file Assets/SVG/Props/Newspaper/GameObject.prefab at line 87.
    2. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:ProjectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)
    The line it's referencing is the GUID of the material on the SVG sprite object, which in the .prefab file is "00000000000000000000000000000000". If I instantiate the prefab, the material is still assigned to the sprite; but if I apply changes to the prefab, I receive the same error above.

Any ideas? Thanks!

- David

21. CodogXII

CodogXII

Interesting. In creating a simple project to replicate the issue, I've discovered that my new project stripped down to the bare minimum doesn't have the same problem. Problem doesn't appear in the editor on the PC or on the Android device. I'll keep working to discover what is going wrong somewhere in the process. I'm going to try to re-import the SVG files, re-create the asset bundles, etc.

Thanks for your help.

22. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I was able to reproduce this with 2018.2, but it seems fixed with 2018.3.

I'm not sure what's the cause of this, but I expect this is an issue with the prefab system, and probably unrelated to the SVG importer. I'll try to get more information.

BrainAndBrain likes this.
  23. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Thanks for checking into it! Just FYI, I updated to 2018.18f1 to see if it would help, and the issues is present there as well.

- David

24. CodogXII

CodogXII

In my main project, I'm still seeing the problem and when I look at the GameObject I see the following warning at the bottom of the Sprite Renderer component.

Material does not have _MainTex texture property. It is required for SpriteRenderer.

If I click the material and browse the scene for Unlit_Vector and select it... Poof... it fixes it. Any ideas?

I re-imported all the SVGs. I've re-added them to the assetbundles, rebuilt the assetbundles. I verified that they were in the assetbundles. I've used the debugger to look and make sure that the material was assigned.

25. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Given this weird behavior, as well as the prefab issue from @BrainAndBrain, I suspect that there's an issue with references to a material that comes from a package. It would be worth trying creating your own material in your project, make them reference "Unlit/Vector" or "Unlit/VectorGradient", and use this material instead of the default one that is used when importing an SVG file. Maybe that will fix the issue.

26. ecurtz

ecurtz

Is this by design? IMO the rotation direction should match the Unity math stuff...

Code (CSharp):
    2.         Vector2 testVec = Vector2.right;
    3.         Debug.Log(testVec); // "(1.0, 0.0)"
    4.         Debug.Log(Mathf.Atan2(testVec.y, testVec.x) * Mathf.Rad2Deg); // "0"
    5.         testVec = Matrix2D.Rotate(90 * Mathf.Deg2Rad).MultiplyVector(testVec);
    6.         Debug.Log(testVec); // "(0.0, -1.0)"
    7.         Debug.Log(Mathf.Atan2(testVec.y, testVec.x) * Mathf.Rad2Deg); // "-90"

27. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

That's a good point. The direction of the Matrix2D rotations wasn't intentional. Depending on which coordinate system you use, you may want a different direction. Unity uses right-hand side rotations, SVG uses left-hand side rotations. Given this, we plan to provide these methods where the direction of the rotation will be explicit:
    -
    RotateRH
    : right-hand side rotation, like Unity
    -
    RotateLH
    : left-hand side rotation, like SVG

The
    Rotate
    method will be deprecated.

ecurtz likes this.
  28. Pawl

Pawl

Dumb question, but are there plans to support SVGs with the new 2D anim/bone stuff?

29. Wahooney

Wahooney

Just started using this. So far it's pretty cool.

My biggest request would be: Add multi-sprite support so we don't have to split our SVGs into multiple files.

mcoted3d likes this.
  30. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

There are plans to have animation support, but some work has to be done first. Providing bone weights support is not trivial with SVG since the assets can be re-tessellated, so the bone weights have to be transferred back to the new vertices. Doing this in an accurate manner is non-trivial.

For these reasons, we are exploring alternative ways to hook ourselves into the animation system, such as dividing the SVG into parts (a bit like the experimental PSD importer). However, all of this is very exploratory at the moment, and we cannot provide a delivery estimate.

Pawl likes this.
  31. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This is something we would like to support. The main challenge is finding good rules on where to break the SVG in multiple sprites (should we split every groups, or every element that has a specific ID, etc.). If you have suggestions regarding this, I'm all ears :)

32. Wahooney

Wahooney

My first thought was something similar to how texture sprites are split, with rects. Define a rect, evreything inside that rect is a spline (you can even do a bool intersect operation to confine the curves to the rect.

Then you have multiple options to split the SVG up automatically similar to the texture method, including per layer, per group, per id, etc.

I don't think there's going to be a single solution to this, so the best method may be a shotgun blast of options.

EDIT: Bonus points if we can choose objects (by id or whatever) that we can tint different colours at runtime.

mcoted3d likes this.
  33. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This is possible, the
    ImportSVG
    methods returns a
    SceneInfo
    struct which has a dictionary of nodes by IDs. You can modify the node's shapes before tessellation:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StreamReader(svgPath));
    2. var shape = sceneInfo.NodeIDs["ShapeID"].Shapes[0];
    3. var fill = shape.Fill as SolidFill;
    4. fill.Color = Color.red;
    5. // ...
    6. var geoms = VectorUtils.TessellateScene(sceneInfo.Scene, tessOptions);
    7. var sprite = VectorUtils.BuildSprite(geoms, 100.0f, VectorUtils.Alignment.Center, Vector2.zero, 128, true);

Wahooney likes this.
  34. Wahooney

Wahooney

NOICE! I'll give that a try, thanks!

35. SwingNinja

SwingNinja

I converted an illustrator file to svg. But I guess it's "too big" for unity (Error message: Vertex array is too large. A sprite mesh may not have more than 65535 vertices.).

Can anyone share some tips on how to reduce the number of vertices in Illustrator? Thanks.

36. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I can help you reduce the number of vertices from the SVG importer. In the inspector, you can try to reduce the target resolution of the basic settings. If you don't have any luck, you can try to switch to the advanced settings: leave the "Max Cord Enabled" and "Max Tangent Enabled" unchecked, and put a high value in "Step Distance". This should allow you to import the SVG with a minimal number of vertices. Afterward, play with the "Max Cord" and "Max Tangent" values until you have something satisfactory.

37. ecurtz

ecurtz

I might be being an idiot here, but I can't figure out how to include the "Unlit/Vector" shader in my project. It finds it with Shader.Find("Unlit/Vector") in the editor, but not during a build, and it doesn't show up in the shader selection dialog if I try to force include it in the project or attach it to a component.

38. leetful

leetful

For anyone interested, I'm working on a package that translates After Effects shape animations to Vector Graphics (via Bodymovin extension) -

This has been developed in tandem with a 2D challenge submission, which is made entirely with content and animation straight from After Effects -
    https://connect.unity.com/p/i-feel-fantastic

dshook and mcoted3d like this.
  39. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

I'm not sure how to solve this for you, but the material is located in Packages/Vector Graphics/Runtime/Materials.

This brings to mind that it may be nice to be able to set a default material for the SVG importer.

Thanks!

- David

40. suitmrt

suitmrt

Hello!
    I'm making a game, where you should color the pictures.
    Each picture consists of many pieces, so that each piece can be colored individually, by selecting right color and clicking on the piece. It was not hard using the UI system and png sprites. I could detect if I'm clicking on an empty area or not, by checking alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold property of UI image. But the problem is: The size of build is way too big, since for a decent quality the images should be in high resolution.

I decided too use vector graphics and now assets are much lighter, but they don't work with UI system. And now I cannot figure out how to detect a click on an image.
    One way is to make polygon collider for each sprite, but considering that the sprites can be of any shapes, and there are literally hundreds of sprites it would be a really long work.
    Is there a way to detect if you are clicking on an empty area of a sprite (alpha = 0) or colored area (using vector sprites)?
    Something like in UI system. It is even harder with vector sprites, because I couldn't find a way to get a texture.

Sorry for a long post. Maybe It would be better to post it in UnityIf someone would suggest a simple solution, that would be great!

41. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Here's a few ideas:

1) The SVG importer has a "Generate Physics Shape" checkbox, which will automatically generate a PolygonCollider2D for you. You could use that to detect clicks (maybe using the collider.OverlapPoint method).

2) Import your SVG as a textured sprite instead (under the "Generated Asset Type" option in the SVG inspector). However, this probably won't help with the build size.

3) Convert your SVG to textures at runtime, using the VectorUtils.RenderSpriteToTexture2D method. Your assets will be very light and you'll be able to use the same alpha hit-testing technique. Converting the SVG sprites to texture at runtime may be slow though.

Hope this helps!

suitmrt likes this.
  42. suitmrt

suitmrt

Thank you for your reply! :)
    I think I will give a try to this method. I guess I will convert everything at the start of the level (maybe with some loading animation). If it takes 1-2 seconds, I think that would be all right.

43. leetful

leetful

44. shieldgenerator7

shieldgenerator7

We started using this package in Unity 2018.2 and immediately noticed benefits of faster runtime and smaller build size.

However, we ran into a problem when upgrading to Unity 2018.3: the newly imported vectors all get imported to the same in-game size, no matter the size in illustrator.

Here's an example of two test vectors in illustrator:

And here they are in Unity after just being imported, without me changing any of their settings:
    upload_2018-12-25_15-22-37.png

Here's another screenshot to show that the objects are not scaled differently in the scene:
    upload_2018-12-25_15-23-12.png

The two test assets should be different sizes when imported into the editor, but they get imported at the same size. This happens in Unity 2018.3 but it didnt happen in Unity 2018.2

Edit: I went back to Unity 2018.2 but it still had this problem. Im not sure in what version the problem started occurring, or if its related to Unity version at all. It could be upgrading to 2018.3 messed up my project files such that going back to an old version of Unity didn't do anything

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Mario-M701 likes this.
  45. Th0re

Th0re

This may be related to the viewbox parameter. For more, search this thread for “viewbox” by using the search field right above the thread. When exporting, you need to disable it, or you can open the SVG in a text editor, and remove it in the code.

Mario-M701 and shieldgenerator7 like this.
  46. shieldgenerator7

shieldgenerator7

This fixed it! Thanks!

47. Subhojit

Subhojit

From which version of Unity we can able to use .svg file in UnityUI? also, please tell which one is better for performance.

48. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Support with Unity UI should work with 2018.1+ as far as I can tell. Look at this thread for details on how to use it: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-ui-svg-support-script.551254/

Note that the SVGImage script provided in the thread is now built-in with the vector graphics package, so, there's no need to add it to your Assets folder.

49. nilsdr

nilsdr

Hope this hasn't been answered before, can't find anything about it. I use an SVG Image component to display a vector graphic which works fine. I'd like to overwrite a color of a specific element in the vector (css), is this supported in any way?

50. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

You can modify the vector elements when using the scripting API. You can find an example in this post: #383