Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Vector Graphics Preview Package

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by rustum, May 4, 2018.

1. michaeleconomy

michaeleconomy

FWIW: i have an SVG that does specify width and height, and when i do "preserve viewport" to preserve some blank space on the right side, it instead returns an empty sprite:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?><!-- Generator: Gravit.io --><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" style="isolation:isolate" viewBox="300 300 300 300" width="300" height="300"><clipPath id="_clipPath_2l2wr5J7AJZZO9exMZGd8NiOLPUnNniU"><rect x="300" y="300" width="300" height="300" transform="matrix(1,0,0,1,0,0)" fill="rgb(255,255,255)"/></clipPath><g clip-path="url(#_clipPath_2l2wr5J7AJZZO9exMZGd8NiOLPUnNniU)"><path d=" M 300 500 L 300 400 C 365.491 398.99 398.751 365.667 399.748 300 L 499.496 300 C 499.496 363.636 500.63 534.091 499.496 600 L 399.748 600 C 399.748 534.091 369.144 501.136 300 500 Z " fill="rgb(190,195,124)"/></g></svg>

I'm not an svg expert, and couldn't see anything obviously wrong here (osx and inkscape can both render the svg correctly - preserving the whitespace).

Hope this helps debugging!

2. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

There's an issue with the way the "preserve viewport" handles the clipping rectangle with the current version, I'll try to push a fix soon that should help with this.

3. Shahab-Mirza

Shahab-Mirza

I am unity developer and bought this package two days before and it is easy to use. SVG support in unity is really a big achievement. Our company mostly work in coloring applications and producing a lot of hit applications color by number and now we are interested to accommodate SVG in our applications so that we can remove blurness and also reduce the apk size. We want to shift all our applications but not have a clear idea of coloring in SVG. Has any one idea about it ?

Waiting for reply.

Thanks !

4. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

One way you could do it is by assigning IDs for the shapes inside the SVG file. Then you can parse the SVG file at runtime and modify the filling of the specific shapes.

For example, if you have an SVG file like this:

<svg viewBox="0 0 1200 400" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1">
    <path id="Shape1" d="..." stroke="black" />
    </svg>

Then you can parse it and modify the shape fill:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svgText));
    2. var shape = sceneInfo.NodeIDs["Shape1"].Shapes[0];
    3. shape.Fill = new SolidFill() { ... };
    This requires an SVG tessellation at runtime, which may be expensive depending on the complexity of the SVG file, but it would allow you to change the filling of the shapes you want at runtime.

5. michaeleconomy

michaeleconomy

6. Shahab-Mirza

Shahab-Mirza

yes dear I bought paid one package (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/sprite-management/svg-importer-38258). Do you have any idea how to make Coloring application using SVG ?

7. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I have an idea (described in my previous post) using the Unity VectorGraphics package :) I don't know much about the asset store package though. If I were you, I would update your code to use the VectorGraphics package instead, I'm confident you'll get better support from us by doing this.

8. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

We just released 1.0.0-preview.21 which has the following fixes:
    - Added support for borders (slices) for textured sprites
    - Fixed viewport clipping working when viewBox is applied
    - Fixed dark outlines when rendering to texture
    - Fixed alpha-blending in VectorGradient.shader
    - SVGImageEditor is now fallback custom editor

Hope this helps!

9. DawdleDev

DawdleDev

I imported a white circle with a black border using this package into unity, and it imported just fine, but the entire circle is black rather than filled in with white. Is there a reason why this is happening? I am using 2018.3, with the package version preview.21. This exact same bug also happened when I imported any other svg file. The svg files themselves are fine, but unity renders them in solid black only...

10. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This should not be happening, can you share your SVG file? Feel free to share privately if you cannot share publicly.

11. DawdleDev

DawdleDev

12. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This simple SVG shows an obscure limitation in the way we handle the <use> tags. In the file, the "fill" property is not defined in the original path definition, but is defined in the <use> tag instead. In our case: we set the original shape fill to black since this is usually the default value, but we shouldn't do this for symbols.

This will have to be fixed on our side. Thanks for reporting!

michaeleconomy and DawdleDev like this.
  13. Zipe92

Zipe92

Hello, I'm using Vector Graphics with HDRP but I'm having a problem with aliasing.

I have sprite renderers with .SVGs that have "Vector Sprite" as "Generated Asset Type".

As you can see in the following image the result is not very good, the four white hexagon icons are svg files.
    The screenshot has taken in full screen with full HD resolution and "ultra" quality.
    svg.png

I've already enabled "Enable MSAA" in HDRP asset, but it does not resolve the problem. Probably I'm missing other settings.
    Someone can help me? Thank you in advance.

14. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I will investigate why MSAA in HDRP doesn't work for Vector Sprites. I think HDRP uses a hybrid deferred/forward rendering pipeline, so maybe sprites aren't rendered in a pass that's compatible with MSAA.

I think your best workaround for now would be to import your SVG files as "Texture Sprites" instead, which provides the option to do multi-sampling in the texture. This has the downside of consuming more memory to store the textures, and you'll lose the "infinite resolution" of Vector Sprites.

Zipe92 likes this.
  15. Zipe92

Zipe92

Thank you, I followed your advice and it works better setting "Texture Sprites".
    Please let me know if you find out something about the HDRP compatibility, it would be nice to have the possibility of use the Vector Sprite, thank you.

Another thing, when I set "Texture sprites" in my .SVGs I encountered a bug; it seems that modify one attribute of two or more .SVGs files at the same time causes troubles. I submitted a bug report (#1096831).

mcoted3d likes this.
  16. gracezhu

gracezhu

When I try to import a SVG with embedded jpg texture, I get the error "Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite" and nothing shows up. After importing, it defaults to the Unlit_Vector material I tried manually changing to a material that uses Unlit_VectorGradient but that also does not work. It is a massive SVG, however the version without texture works with advanced tesselation settings. The image was added to the SVG as per the part in bold:

<g>
    <pattern id="texture" patternUnits="userSpaceOnUse" width="500" height="500">
    <image xlink:href="texture.jpg" x="0" y="0" height="500" width="500" />
    </pattern>

<path ... >
    </g>

And it looks fine when I open it up in the browser.

Any chance you might know what the issue could be?

17. ecurtz

ecurtz

How about adding a Matrix2D.RotateAround() method for convenience?

mcoted3d likes this.
  18. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This usually happens when the SVG importer generates too many triangles, so you can try to reduce the import quality to see if that helps (or otherwise, use with the advanced settings as you suggested).

You should be able to import SVG with embedded jpegs just fine. If you can share your problematic file with us we will have a look. Thanks!

gracezhu likes this.
  19. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

Is there a way to add an emissive texture to a vector sprite? I currently do this with regular sprites to make certain parts of the sprite glow. It would be great to be able to achieve the same effect with these large vectors with an option like this:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

If I understand correctly, you would have to import your SVG as a "Textured Sprite" or "Texture2D" asset to be able to assign it to the emissive material. You won't be able to assign an SVG textureless sprite there.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question!

21. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

That would work, but wouldn't it mean I'd lose the benefits of scalable vector graphics (performance, file size)?

22. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Yes, that's correct. As far as I can tell, that would be the only option that works given that the "emission" property seems to take either a plain color and/or a texture. Since SVG sprites are essentially textureless (except for gradients), I would think it would be non-trivial to make emissive materials work with that.

23. fherbst

fherbst

Just tested the package for the first time. First SVG (30kb) generated the "too many vertices" error, trial-and-error with reducing the Advanced tesselation settings didn't really help. Gave up on that. I can send you the file via PM if you want.

Smaller SVGs worked fine, but have really bad aliasing artifacts compared to textures (which is quite obvious given that they're meshes, after all). So I ended up using the "Texture 2D" import option instead of the Vector option.

Some feature requests:

1) ability to import an SVG in several layers - this would be the single most important reason for us to move to a vector workflow. Instead of exporting PNG layers, being able to have a single SVG that contains multiple layers and turning those into separate textures / meshes would be great.

2) ability to generate UV coordinates for the generated meshes that give a feeling of antialiasing. Basically stretching a texture with smooth borders along the SVG, giving smooth edges. If I recall correctly, the AssetStore package "Vectrosity" does it that way to achieve super nice line graphics.

3) Slight bug report: changing the import option from "Vector" to "Texture" while already having the vector object on a SVG image keeps the image visible, despite the source now not being a Vector object anymore. I guess it should say "missing" or be smart enough and have a button to turn the SVG image back into a regular UI Image.

24. superzat

superzat

Hello I notice im able to add SVG images in a UI Canvas

UI > SVGImage

Is this a suppoted way of adding a SVG image to a Unity UI Canvas? (release version of unity 2018.2)

25. ugur

ugur

i like the svg importer so far, nice work =)
    Some quick notes:
    -show svg shape in inspector preview:
    When i add an SVG Image to a canvas and select it in the canvas, in the inspector at the bottom it shows default ui material as just a white rectangle.
    It would be much better if it would show the image/shape there like it does for sprites

-Show width/height:
    Also when selecting an image in a canvas or the sprite in the assets one can see the width/height of it there in the inspector preview at the bottom, too.
    Now i know one of the cool sides about svgs is that one can use them much freer at different dimnensions but it would still be useful to show WidthxHeight there for them, too so that when i drop a svg into an svg image one should get an idea what to set width/ height of the recttransform to to get it not squeezed looking

-Show preview icon in assets:
    For sprites one can see a small representation of the image as its icon in the assets, it would be cool if that was the case for svg items, too, right now they just look like model asset icons there

26. ugur

ugur

also slight usability bug:
    -when one drags an svg asset into the scene but inside a ui canvas element (like as child element of a recttransform having element or of a canvas in general), it should place it as svgimage component having game object instead of as Spriterenderer one

27. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Yes, please send us the problematic SVG file, thanks!

For vector sprites, we currently rely on MSAA to provide antialiased edges. You can turn it on in Edit > Project Settings > Quality and look for the AntiAliasing item.

Note that MSAA won't work in some circumstances, such as in deferred rendering. We're looking into solutions for this.

Noted. Thanks for the feedback!

28. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Yes, we added SVGImage specifically to add SVG support in UI Canvas. Alternatively, you can import your SVG files as "Textured Sprites" and those will work with the regular Image component.

superzat likes this.
  29. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the notes! The UI Canvas integration is still a bit rough, hopefully we will make the experience a bit smoother over time.

Thanks again.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  30. CodogXII

CodogXII

Howdy all!

I'm working on a project that is using SVGs for some interactive storytelling. We have an art team in Thailand that is creating the images in Adobe Illustrator. We are having trouble with about 1/3 of the images they are providing us. Here are some of the images and how the web browser views them which is correct... versus how they are getting imported.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xol8y1ijvy5xb9e/7A_Akili_3_way-1.svg?dl=0

vs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yumdbaskkyrydz/Screenshot 2018-11-14 16.42.17.png?dl=0

We have a bunch of different images where this kind of thing is happening. Any assistance would be great!

31. Pawl

Pawl

I'm seeing inconsistent sizes when exporting SVGs (in Affinity Designer on Windows 10) and importing them to Unity 2018.2.15f1 w/ Vector Pkg 1.0.0-preview.21.

When I export parts individually, they need to be scaled down anywhere from 0.165 to 0.36 in Unity to match what I believe is the "correct" size. However if I export them in a single SVG, their size seems correct. I'm not sure where the problem lies (Affinity or Unity) but any help debugging would be great. Not sure what info would be helpful either, this is a bit hard to explain...

Apologies if this has been asked, but a search for "scale" did not yield anything.

EDIT: Actually, after unchecking "Set viewbox" in the Affinity exporter, I seem to be getting consistent sizes now. Does this sound like the proper fix?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  32. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This seems correct. The viewBox attribute will essentially scale the element to fit a given "window size". Unchecking this box will removing that scaling and should help you get more consistent sizes.

Pawl likes this.
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, do you have plans on implementing SVG animation and if so, how are you going to approach it? Personally I would love to see SMIL support. It would be great to have multiple animations in one SVG file like "idle", "walk" and "jump", and then you could somehow expose those to C# code with a method like StartAnimation("walk").

34. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

A fix for this is now available in 1.0.0-preview.22.

laurentlavigne and DawdleDev like this.
  35. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

We do have plans to add animation support, but no clear path to get there yet. SMIL looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion! We will likely add better tooling for integrating with the existing Unity animation tools.

36. superzat

superzat

Is there a good way to load SVG files from the Resources folder and/or an directory outside of the unity project?

37. Pawl

Pawl

Tried my first WebGL export and unfortunately just getting a black screen (Chrome/FireFox/Edge).

Windows standalone build look good.

Fairly simple scene with basic SVG assets. Any thoughts where to begin debugging? Is WebGL even supported?

And this works for me: https://files.unity3d.com/marcot/tanks/ so not just my machine thankfully.

38. SozoDev

SozoDev

Hi there
    so I want to generate textures at runtime from dynamically generated svg files. I've got it working in the start method, but when I move it out of start to another method and call that method during runtime, I get an error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Not allowed to override geometry on sprite ''
    2. UnityEngine.Sprite:OverrideGeometry(Sprite, Vector2[], UInt16[])
    3. Unity.VectorGraphics.VectorUtils:BuildSprite(List`1, Rect, Single, Alignment, Vector2, UInt16, Boolean) (at C:/Users/gkruger/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.vectorgraphics@1.0.0-preview.22/Runtime/VectorSprite.cs:116)
    4. Unity.VectorGraphics.VectorUtils:BuildSprite(List`1, Single, Alignment, Vector2, UInt16, Boolean) (at C:/Users/gkruger/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.vectorgraphics@1.0.0-preview.22/Runtime/VectorSprite.cs:69)
    My code to generate the texture is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svg));
    2. var geoms = VectorUtils.TessellateScene(sceneInfo.Scene, tessOptions);
    4. // Build a sprite with the tessellated geometry.
    5. var sprite = VectorUtils.BuildSprite(geoms, 10.0f, VectorUtils.Alignment.Center, Vector2.zero, 128, true);
    6. var texture = VectorUtils.RenderSpriteToTexture2D(sprite, 512, 512, material);
    Seems from other comments this should work, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  39. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Yes. The SVGParser doesn't care where the file resides. As long as you have a path to the file, you can do:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StreamReader(filename));

40. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

The sprite system only allows overriding the sprite geometry at runtime or during an asset import (you'll usually get this error if you try to override in editor code). Since you seem to be doing it at runtime, I'm a little bit perplexed by this. If you can send me a simple project that reproduces the issue, I could have a look.

41. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

WebGL is supported and should be able to handle SVG sprites just fine. Can you have a look at your Player.log file to see if anything suspicious show up there?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

42. Pawl

Pawl

Nothing out of the ordinary it seems. Tried a Development Build as well. These look like the same logs when I run the WebGL sample, too:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Successfully compiled asm.js code (total compilation time 0ms; not stored in cache (too small to benefit)) UnityLoader.js
    2. Successfully compiled asm.js code (total compilation time 1ms; not stored in cache (too small to benefit)) UnityLoader.js
    3. Successfully compiled asm.js code (loaded from cache in 545ms) /
    4. unreachable code after return statement /:166:2
    5. Prefixed Fullscreen API is deprecated. Please use unprefixed API for fullscreen. For more help https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fullscreen_API /:11165:2

43. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Thanks. We haven't noticed any issues here with WebGL, can you please file a bug report (Help > Report a Bug...)? We'll have a look.

44. Pawl

Pawl

Will do. Also I noticed sprite colors do not seem to work when I switched to WebGL (even in the editor, the colors do not work). Is this a known limitation? I'm using the Unlit/Vector material (I may have also enabled GPU Instancing?) which seems fine in standalone.

I tried a most basic new proj with a simple SVG asset (no code) and I DO see that render (in Edge, strangely enough. Firefox gives me "WebAssembly support is not detected in this browser." I literally just created a new Unity proj, imported the Vector Graphics package and dragged in a single svg asset to the scene).Thoughts?

EDIT
    : I see that the new project was defaulting to WebAssembly whereas the other had somehow switched over to asm.js.

EDIT 2: I changed the quality settings to match the default proj settings (High) as well as removing UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 and disabling the Post Process Layer script (I was using SMAA). I now see the proj running in FireFox (will continue to debug). Is there a known limitation with WebGL/PostProcessV2/SVG that I might be missing here?

EDIT 3: After looking into AA a bit more, what's the best approach to AA SVG assets? If I understand, Unity's default MSAA won't have any effect on SVGs. However when I run with the PPSV2, that seems to cause the black screen in WebGL =(

EDIT 4: Apologies at my incohesive updating, but I didn't realize PPV2 was experimental and PPV1 was still supported. I've since downgraded to PPV1 and the AA technique is working there! I will chock this up to a WebGL bug with PPV2. Sorry for the long rant.

EDIT 5: I was able to get vertex colors working in webGL by using MaterialPropertyBlocks with the Unlit/Vector shader.

And thus concludes the epic edit post with all questions answered (for now).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    mcoted3d likes this.
  45. SozoDev

SozoDev

Thanks, after preparing a simple demo I figured out what I was doing wrong. My mistake (as you mentioned) was that I called the code via an editor script that hooked into my *running* game scripts, which I assumed equals runtime, but once I moved the trigger to a UI button to test with, instead of an editor button, the error disappeared.
    Thanks for the help!

mcoted3d likes this.
  46. Lancelot-Bleu

Lancelot-Bleu

I'm evaluating the library and it's pretty good so far. I build up a quick prototype for an inventory system using a scroll rect, a mask (image) and a scrollbar. All the items in the scroll rect are displayed using SVGImage in vector sprite mode.

I noticed a strong FPS drop while dragging the scroll rect containing the SVGImages of the inventory items.

By looking at a deep profile of what is going on I noticed that the SVG Image seems to gets rebuilt very often (if it's not every frame). Is there any way to prevent that on the user side?

FPSDropScrollViewjpg.jpg

InventoryViewPrototype.png

47. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

According to the UI team, this is expected with the scrollrect at the moment.

To help, make sure your SVG sprites are not over-tessellated to reduce the amount of vertices to process. If you can, importing your SVG asset as "Texture Sprites" would probably help as well, although that comes with some drawbacks (non-infinite resolution, larger assets, etc.).

48. Lancelot-Bleu

Lancelot-Bleu

I wil try to reduce my tesselation, thanks for pointing that.

Changing to "Texture Sprites" will have the effect of doubling my sets of of data (one for the UI in "Texture Sprite" and one for in game in "Vector Sprite" mode).

The other option will be to use all my data in "Texture Sprite" mode but I will definitively lose the svg property for being resolution independant.

Or I could still keep the very low fps and stay in Vector Sprite mode and hope that the fps won't be too low on low spec machines or search for an alternative for the scroll rect.

Talking about the texture sprite mode, is there any compression option I can use over the generated textures?

49. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Not yet, mostly because we would like to provide "per platform" settings for that, which is not really feasible when using a C# importer. We could try to provide a compress option that would apply on all platforms. Added to our feature requests list :)

50. Lancelot-Bleu

Lancelot-Bleu

Currently my artist is exporting the .svg in .png to benefit from unity's regular texture compression. The Texture mode will definitively cut these steps and make the library more usefull if it is available. Thanks for the answers.