Search Unity

Official Vector Graphics Preview Package

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by rustum, May 4, 2018.

1. ncoelho

ncoelho

Hey I'm having trouble saving a gradient to prefab. All other sprites display correctly except for the gradient.
    I generated and save the atlas to the prefab. But it is still not rendering. It only happens if when I save to the prefab, might be references missing or something.
    Code (CSharp):
    2.             Scene newTempScene = new Scene() { Root = newSceneInfo.Scene.Root.Children[0].Children[0]};
    3.             var geom = VectorUtils.TessellateScene(newTempScene, tessOptions);
    4.             var newSprite = VectorUtils.BuildSprite(geom, 10.0f, VectorUtils.Alignment.SVGOrigin, Vector2.zero, 128, true);
    5.             GameObject go2 = new GameObject();
    6.             SpriteRenderer s2 = go2.AddComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
    7.             if (i == 3)
    8.             {
    9.                 var atlas = VectorUtils.GenerateAtlasAndFillUVs(geom, 128);
    10.                 AssetDatabase.AddObjectToAsset(atlas.Texture, newPrefab);
    11.                 s2.material = svgMat;
    12.                 s2.sprite = newSprite;
    14.             }
    15.             else
    16.             {
    17.                 s2.material = svgMat;
    18.                 s2.sprite = newSprite;
    20.             }
    22.             go2.transform.SetParent(transform.GetChild(0));
    23.             id++;
    24.             go2.name = "Child" + id.ToString();
    25.             AssetDatabase.AddObjectToAsset(newSprite, newPrefab);
    27.         }
    help.JPG help2.JPG
    both the sprite and the atlas are there on the prefab and i'm using a unlit/vectorGradient material

2. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Initial guess: VectorUtils.BuildSprite() will call GenerateAtlasAndFillUVs() and assign the resulting atlas texture (if any) to the Sprite.texture property. So, I think you don't need to call GenerateAtlasAndFillUVs() and just add the newSprite.texture to the prefab asset.

ncoelho likes this.
  3. coshea

coshea

Hi

Are you able to release an opaque shader for Vector sprites on here?

Can I mask vector sprites only as part of the ui and not sprite masks?

I'm trying to figure out if I can create a vector shape mask in the UI too, with vector graphics shown within the mask.

Thanks
    Chris

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. naruto93

naruto93

Hi Unity Team,

I changed some geometry in shape to use in my game and it's working. And i saved them and view like image
    But it's very slow when load a lots of SVG file the same time so I decided to try to save Sprite from SVG file
    But Sprite returned from VectorUtils.BuildSprite() function has NOT texture, so how to save sprite texture from SVG file?
    (Runtime Mode)

Thanks you!

5. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Not sure what you mean by "opaque". If you mean to disable transparency, you would probably have to make your own version of the "Unlit/Vector" or "Unlit/VectorGradient" shader and disable blending there ("Blend Off"). But don't forget that this will break any transparency happening in your vector sprites.

I *think* sprite masks should work, but complex multi-layered SVG sprite may cause issues (because of the stencil masking of the sprite masks). I would need more details to help.

6. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I'm assuming you want to construct a texture from an SVG sprite. If so, you can use the VectorUtils.RenderSpriteToTexture2D() method.

naruto93 likes this.
  7. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

Is it possible to blur the edges of the SVG after importing it? I'm using them to make shadows. Hard shadows look good but I'd like to experiment with soft edges.

8. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

We don't have support for post-process/filter effects. A couple of things you can try:
    • Mimick the shader with gradients in the SVG file
    • Write a custom texture postprocessor that detects and blurs the edges.

9. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

Doing that happens on runtime right?
    What I was referring to was adding the blur and storing it in the file. Like how you can change the vector graphics to a texture graphics and hit apply.

10. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

The mimicked drop shadow suggestion would be done with SVG gradients:
    https://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/pservers.html

The postprocess could be done either at runtime or at import time with an asset postprocessor.

11. dan13th

dan13th

Sorry for trouble but, Unity Beta 2020.1 Packages [https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/packages ] state Vector Graphics are importable but 2020.1.0b8.3654 is not showing this preview package in the manager at all.
    I got awhile back at Unity again, and downloaded the latest Beta from Unity Hub, looked through the manual as well but couldn't find anything relevant. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong, all these different versions stuff is making me confused

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  12. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

13. dan13th

dan13th

Great that seemed to do the trick! Apologies if it was stupid.
    But this was especially confusing as a Preview Package named "TextMesh Pro" was already visible (without checking this option from Project Settings) so it indeed seemed that preview packages were available but the Vector Graphics one was not.

Anyway thanks again! Much appreciated.

14. bali33

bali33

Hello,

Is it possible to have a "slice" mode for SVG image ? The editor button is here, I can set borders but when using an SVG Image there is not "Image type" like option.

Thanks

15. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

The problem with 9-slices with vector sprites is that these sprites are not texture-based, bug geometry-based. Resizing these sprites would require a recomputation of the sliced geometry. We don't have the tools needed to do so at this time.

16. bali33

bali33

Ok. At least it's clear !

Thanks

17. Jlempernesse

Jlempernesse

Hi and thanks for "Vector Graphics" tool, it's really useful and powerful.
    Do you know if we can use Animated SVGs (I'm importing SVG animated from Adobe Animate 2020)? I'm talking about SVGs that contain graphic vectors and also animated parameters.
    If not, do you know if we could have this great feature in a near future? ^^

18. bali33

bali33

Hello,

Is there an ETA for going from preview to production ready ?

19. bali33

bali33

Hello,
    I'm having a weird issue using an SVG exported from Illustrator which has gradient and I don't know how to fix it. The asset is supposed to represent some kind of a frame using a greyscale gradient.

Do you have any idea what's happening ? Is it possible to fix it from my side ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

20. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, no. Our long-term plan is to provide an integration of SVG sprites to the 2D animation system, but this is proving to be challenging. We want to animate the vector components (not the resulting tessellated geometry), and this is something that we are not ready to provide. Once this is done, I could imagine being able to import animated SVGs to that system. In the meantime, the only alternative I can think of is to import the animation frames as separate vector sprites to do the animation, even though this is less than ideal.

21. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Make sure that:
    1) The SVG Image has a material that uses the "Unlit/VectorGradient" shader
    2) The Canvas has "TexCoord2" in the "Additional Shader Channels"

_Prism_ and bali33 like this.
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi mcoted3d,
    is there a way to get the same quality of pixel perfect SVG at 2160(4k) Zoom Factor 20, as with Advanced settings, specifically inside C#?

I've tried a lot of values and the closest I can get doesn't look as good as using 'Basic' with 4k and around 20 zoom, but the code API TesselationOptions doesn't have basic options?

23. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

The "Basic" mode will find TessellationOptions for you according to the target resolution/zoom factor and the size of the vector shapes. To get the best quality, try to use:
    • A small value for MaxCordDeviation (e.g., 0.01f)
    • A small value for MaxTanAngleDeviation (e.g., 0.01f)
    • The StepDistance can be large (1000)
    • The SamplingStepSize can be left at 0.01
    The lower the MaxCordDeviation/MaxTanAngleDeviation will be, the more subdivisions will occur and you'll get better looking results (at the cost of more triangles in your mesh).

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I use the SVGRuntimeLoad.cs demo and plugin tiger.svg instead of the svg = you have there originally, and use these values, the SVG import fails -
    Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

When I use DemoSVG.unity and use 'Advanced' settings, the settings do not allow for "SamplingStepSize" it asks for "Sampling Steps" and the value is not allowed to be lower than 3. The result is not a pixel perfect svg. Also if I leave the "Deviation" options at 0.01 in the Advanced settings, then switch to Basic, and apply, the svg is not pexel perfect. There appears to be some settings bugs -

DemoSVG.unity

Using "Advanced" settings with your suggestions and the settings defaulting to 3 for "Sampling Steps"
    AdvancedSettings.JPG

Using "Basic" settings with all "Advanced" setting at default or initial values:
    BasicSettings.JPG

Using "Basic" settings with "Advanced" settings still having values from screenshot 1 -
    BasicWithAngelOptionsOnInAdvanced.JPG

RuntimeDemo.Unity

var tessOptions = new VectorUtils.TessellationOptions() {
    SamplingStepSize = 0.01f,
    StepDistance = 1000,
    MaxCordDeviation = 0.01f,
    MaxTanAngleDeviation = 0.01f
    };

"Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtilityrocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"

SamplingStepSize = 3,
    StepDistance = 1000,
    MaxCordDeviation = 0.01f,
    MaxTanAngleDeviation = 0.01f
    };

RuntimeYourAdjustedSettings.JPG

SamplingStepSize = 15, // 15 - 1000 show little to no discernible difference
    StepDistance = 0.65f, // anything lower throws error
    MaxCordDeviation = float.MaxValue, // no value 0.01f - 100 seems to make any difference
    MaxTanAngleDeviation = float.MaxValue //no value 0.01f -100 seems to make any difference
    };

RuntimeMySettings.JPG

If it's hard to see the difference in some of the qualities, pay attention to the white "light reflection" shape inside the green eye part, and also the black pupil shape.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2020
  25. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

For the "tiger.svg" asset, when using the basic settings with 4K resolution and 20x scale factor, you end up with these settings:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var tessOptions = new VectorUtils.TessellationOptions() {
    2.             SamplingStepSize = 0.01f,
    3.             StepDistance = float.maxValue,
    4.             MaxCordDeviation = 0.016f,
    5.             MaxTanAngleDeviation = 0.1f
    6.         };
    Some notes:
    • Be careful with the "Sampling Steps" value of the editor and the "SamplingStepSize" field of the TessellationOptions. The "step size" is 1.0f/samplingSteps (so, 0.01 for 100 steps).
    • These values seems to be on the edge of the max number of triangles generated for "tiger.svg". These settings may not work for other svg assets. If the resulting sprite has too many vertices, you'll have the "Incomplete mesh data in Sprite. Please reimport or recreate the Sprite." error.

Deleted User likes this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

How can I find these settings values?

27. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I put a breakpoint in the package source SVGImporter.cs, in ComputeTessellationOptions().

I wouldn't put too much importance on how this method automatically computes values for you. It uses a lot of magic numbers that "should work" in most situations. A better approach is to find TessellationOptions values that make sense in your context.

Deleted User likes this.
  28. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm trying something most don't, my plan is to use SVG for all graphics in-game so its important to me that any SVG looks pixel perfect, I also plan to try to use SVG morphing algorithms to create frame to frame interpolation and swap out the in-game vector sprite with the new frame shape to fake animation. I don't know how the performance of this will work out, I tried this in HTML5 and the DOM rendering was killing performance with more than 100 paths (in this case each path of the tiger for example).

29. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Sounds like a good challenge. I don't expect the performance to be great as this will trigger a ton of path tessellation, which is known to be a performance bottleneck, but maybe it will work out for you!

30. grapefrukt

grapefrukt

I finally got time to play with this today and I have a request for a feature:
    I'd love to be able to set the generated asset type to "plain mesh" so I can conveniently use the mesh for various rendering trickery.
    I'm not familiar with the code base enough to say for sure, but I guess some features require a texture as well as as a mesh (complex gradients maybe?) that would obviously not work, but for simpler shapes/fills it would be great!

I went on a small rampage through the source and managed to hack it in fairly easily. Is this something you'd be willing to consider?

31. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This is definitely something we can add. We already have the C# API to build a mesh (VectorUtils.FillMesh), so it should be a fairly easy addition. Added to our task list.

32. grapefrukt

grapefrukt

That's great! Another thing I ran into, which I'm sure you are aware of is z-sorting. The generated polygons are all coplanar, so anything that has more than one layer and involves the z-buffer will not work particularly well.
    A way to ever so slightly offset each layer in z-space would be very helpful!

33. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I'm assuming you are referring to having multiple sprites/meshes on the same z value, is that correct? The generated sprites/meshes are essentially 2D, so the z value will be 0 by default. Offsetting the geometry to avoid z-fighting is the responsibility of the user.

EDIT: That said, the default Unlit/Vector shaders have "ZWrite Off", so they won't contribute to the z buffer and hence won't have z-fighting issues. If you are using a custom Mesh object, an easy way out is to have the shader have "ZWrite Off" as well.

34. grapefrukt

grapefrukt

Yeah, z-fighting for multiple objects on the same plane is to be expected.

I'm referring to having multiple shapes in one svg file. They won't render properly unless ZWrite is Off, which is a whole ordeal when trying to render this alongside other things in an actual scene.

The SVG I used: https://gist.github.com/grapefrukt/2ffe11850bf83bcf158d6043038df528

ZWrite off, looks good, except it won't z sort alongside anything else, which is bad:
    Screenshot 2020-05-27 19.57.22.png

ZWrite on, sorts fine but has internal z-fighting making it look bad unless aligned perfectly with the camera:
    Screenshot 2020-05-27 19.57.53.png

And, for clarity, here's the wireframe:
    Screenshot 2020-05-27 20.15.31.png

What I'm wishing for is an option for a tiny z-offset of the "internal" layers, making this use case possible.

[EDIT]:
    This would be fixable by merging the layers as a preprocessing step ensuring there's no overlapping geometry, which could be done with say Clipper or manually in Illustrator, but that's not really ideal either.

35. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Noted. We'll see what we can do.

36. coshea

coshea

both solid requests @grapefrukt

those are things I miss from the now dead SVG Importer plugin:
    http://svgimporter.com/documentation/

Choosing opaque/transparent as an import setting option

"Opaque
    This mode best fits for non-transparent objects which utilise the Z-Buffer which will discard non-visible pixels as soon as possible. This greatly improves the performance, because you render only what you see.
    The only downside is that you have to handle your z position manually to avoid z-fighting glitches and artefacts.
    Transparent
    This mode is best when used on transparent or semi- transparent objects. It does not use Z-buffer and it can suffer from great performance loss. But it can be fully alpha blended, great for fade in/out effects. This mode behaves exactly the same as Unity Sprites."

and these settings

Depth Offset
    This option is available only if Format is set to Opaque.
    Small values can introduce an z-fight artefact due to low z-buffer precision, increase this number if you see any problematic z-buffer issues.

Save Mesh File
    This will save the mesh generated by SVG importer so it can be used in any other way than for SVG graphics. For instance as a particle system emitter or particle it self.

37. coshea

coshea

We've got some graphics that use gradients (the same gradient). When I have too many objects in an svg, the verts are over 300 (and to enable dynamic batching), I export these as seperate svg files. But then each svg imported creates it's own gradient texture.

Is there any way to make multiple imported svgs use the same material/gradient texture?

Thanks

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi mcoted3d, thanks for the previous help, one thing I'm wondering is if it's possible to exclude a folder from the automated import?

39. wedgiebee

wedgiebee

Hi @mcoted3d (or maybe @grapefrukt since it sounds like you figured out how to achieve this!): I want to at runtime generate a mesh from an imported SVG file using the VectorUtils.FillMesh function. How can I reference the SVG file in a script so that I can get info from there and into the FillMesh function?

40. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

You can just call SVGParser.ImportSVG() with a TextReader for your SVG content, such as
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         string svg =
    2.             @"<svg xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"" width=""100"" height=""20"">
    3.                <rect width=""100"" height=""20"" />
    4.            </svg>";
    6.         var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svg));
    If you have a .svg text file, use a StreamReader instead. Hope this helps!

wedgiebee likes this.
  41. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

There are some folders with special names that won't be imported even if they are in the Assets folder, such as folders that starts with "." or "~". The full list is here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SpecialFolders.html

Deleted User likes this.
  42. Eulenmensch

Eulenmensch

Hi, I'm trying to change an SVG's stroke dash gap at runtime. I can't seem to figure out where to even start as the documentation only confuses me further. Any pointers?

43. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

You have to get your hand on the generated shape after importing the SVG file. Then, you can change the stroke of the shape to modify the pattern. Example:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         string svg =
    2.             @"<svg width=""283.9"" height=""283.9"" xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"">
    3.                <rect id=""dashed-rect"" fill=""none"" stroke=""red"" stroke-width=""1"" width=""100"" height=""100"" />
    4.            </svg>";
    6.         var tessOptions = new VectorUtils.TessellationOptions() {
    7.             StepDistance = 100.0f,
    8.             MaxCordDeviation = 0.5f,
    9.             MaxTanAngleDeviation = 0.1f,
    10.             SamplingStepSize = 0.01f
    11.         };
    13.         var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svg));
    14.         var rectNode = sceneInfo.NodeIDs["dashed-rect"];
    15.         var rectShape = rectNode.Shapes[0];
    16.         rectShape.PathProps.Stroke.Pattern = new float[] { 2.0f, 2.0f };
    19.         var geoms = VectorUtils.TessellateScene(sceneInfo.Scene, tessOptions);
    21.         // Build a sprite with the tessellated geometry.
    22.         var sprite = VectorUtils.BuildSprite(geoms, 10.0f, VectorUtils.Alignment.Center, Vector2.zero, 128, true);
    23.         GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sprite = sprite;

44. GiftedMamba

GiftedMamba

Hi, @mcoted3d!

I trying to use vector graphics for making a simple painting game.
    My goal is to load a vector image from TextAsset and then paint each shape with a different color.

I want to use Physics2D.RayCast, but I can't add collider of proper form for shapes. Polygon collider doesn't fit shape correctly.

How can I accurate Raycast shape?
    Or may be there is another way to change dynamicly color of each shape? I mean I want to click on the shape with mouse and change pixel color on the shape.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  45. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

If your asset is divided in individual shapes, you might be able to generate a physics shape that makes sense directly in the SVGImporter. Otherwise, you will probably have to implement your own hit-test strategy, possibly by looking at the tessellated Geometry object and looking if your point is inside one of the triangles defined by the Geometry.Vertices array.

One way to do it is to grab the Shape.Fill property, interpret that as a SolidFill and change the color of that fill. The color will be applied when calling VectorUtils.TessellateScene().

46. EmilKoel

EmilKoel

Any news on 9 slices ?

47. quentin_brun

quentin_brun

Hi,

With my team, we really like this package and are using it a lot. We are currently migrating to unity 2020.1 beta and we got a strange issue. We are using the latest version of the package 2.0.0 preview 12. I would like to know if someone have the same issue or if we are doing a mistake somewhere.

The issue happen with svg asset that generate Texture2D (no issue with textured sprite [edit: in fact It also happen with textured sprite]). But it happen only if the import is done on our Azure pipeline build machine (we are using a Microsoft hosted MacOS agent). In this case, there is no error in the log but the resulting texture is corrupted. We tried to do fresh import from CLI on other Mac machines and windows machines without reproducing the bug.
    Here is what the texture should look like:

Here is how it look like:

And here is our current import configuration:

Do you have any ideas? I can provide more information if needed.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  48. danbg

danbg

SVG Animations possible workarounds compatible with Vector Graphics

Hello everyone, for those interested in SVG Animations, there are some workarounds. They are far from perfect and have some errors, but at least they offer something. I hope it helps someone and maybe inspires someone to make them better:

There is an open project in Github https://github.com/leetful/u.movin it's based on bodymovin animations in After Effects. Unfortunately, some features don't work, but some of them do (you can test some from https://lottiefiles.com/), and I'm sure it could be a good start point and a possible workaround until Unity gives a solution.

On the other hand, regarding simpler Motion Graphics and UI, there is another repo https://github.com/yasuohasegawa/SVGPainterUnity but unfortunately it doesn't work propertly in newer versions of Unity, although it's also a good starting point. In conjunction with http://lazylinepainter.info/ is a great way to create some animations. Unity Japan has also 2 interesting videos:
    and

It's a pity that Unity is so far away beyond the easiness and quality in animations with web technologies. I could understand their position betting on their own animation system, but ignoring other technologies just frustrates a lot of devs.

49. coshea

coshea

50. danbg

danbg

@coshea although Shape seems a good way to go for vector graphics, the main problems are not supporting SVG, not being open source and not giving a solution to reuse animations made with more suitable software.