Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vcam jittering

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by DanielP_, Jul 29, 2019.

1. DanielP_

DanielP_

Hi,

I was working on my game when I detected a jittering issue with the camera. My player has a CharacterController without rigidbody and the Update Method on Cinemachine Brain is setted to Smart.

The player movement looks great but the background seems jerky so I changed the Update Method to see if any of the other options works. If I use the Free look character example inside Cinemachine examples I saw the same behaviour but changing the rigidbody option Interpolate to Interpolate works fine, it isn't the same case.

That said, I don't know how to proceed because it seems that the problem exists in the basic example. Could you test if you have the same problem?

- Dani

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It sounds like you are tripping over a difficulty when trying to use a camera on something that doesn't move smoothly. If your character is moving in a jittery way, then something will be wrong no matter how you set up the camera:
    • If you lock the camera to the character, the character will look good but the background will jitter because the camera jitters in sync with the character
    • If you make the camera motion smooth, the background will be nice but the character will jitter
    The only solution is to make sure the character animates smoothly.

3. DanielP_

DanielP_

Yes, you are right, we had to move our character smoothly.

Thank you for your answer :)

Gregoryl likes this.