Search Unity

Various element on a single file

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by joacoerazo_legacy, May 2, 2006.

1. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi,

If I want to send a car model from Maya, the tyres (Tires) can be exported/saved on the same file?

There is no problem whit the collitions/dynamics, ect..?

Thank you in advance

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Well, you import the Maya file and then you have to add some scripts to separate parts of the file (some Diameter * PI * Distance script for the wheels). The Maya file is broken up into the proper meshes. That works just fine, the problem is if you make some updates to the Maya file the "Prefab" status of the Maya file is now broken once you update it in Unity. I myself would like to see this changed... Prefab status (with imported geometry) should be differentiated between scripts and the meshes you are importing.

3. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Of course, then the question becomes, what happens to the parts of the model that got deleted and/or replaced when it was updated that had scripts attached it. :)

4. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thank you for reply,

I make a little test.
    I Import the car and ad to him the "Move and Turn" script. Then I click on play buton and the objects goes in differen speed (I think this depends on the size). Now I have to change the Elements in maya (Combine them) to use it at the same speed but , the wheels?

What can I do?

I don't know whow to make the extra script To separate the files. There are any other way?

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

When you drag a maya file into your scene, you should get a hierarchy with all objects like they are in maya in the hierarchy view.

Now you can simply attach any script to those objects in your hierarchy.
    So if you want to attach a script to the wheels you can just do that by dragging the script on the wheels.

6. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi Joachim,

Thank you a lot!
    Another question,
    Can I use the scripts from the tutorials to make my first game?

I mean, those scripts are free to use?

Thank you in advance

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Yes. Of course you can. All assets/scripts provided with tutorials otee makes are free for use. Commercial and non-Commercial.

8. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi Joachin,

This is great!

Thank you.