Search Unity

Valve Engine used to make a 3D feature film

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pixelsteam, Jun 11, 2012.

1. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

2. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Why in gods name would anyone use Source for anything , getting anything to work with source is a painful process

3. andorov

andorov

"Make" is an interesting term to use given the film is in PRE production. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't made squat but plans.

On another note, I'm surprised they're using Source. Not intending to start another engine v engine discussion, but the visual quality of games made with CryEngine/UDK far exceed that of Source, imo. :X

4. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Something about Valve agreeing to put it on steam .

Source is crap from a developers point of view .

Unless they have some in-house tools to import models that they wont give the community

5. npsf3000

npsf3000

My thoughts exactly. I can understand U3D or particularly Cryengine but source?

6. stimarco

stimarco

It's not clear in the original article whether the engine is being used for the final movie, or just for the pre-viz side. $18 million isn't that small a budget by European standards, so it's hard to be sure.

Also, don't forget that you can optimise things a hell of a lot more for linear media than you can in a normal game. In a movie, nobody's going to randomly do stuff you never planned for.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

But that won't magically get an engine that by 2009 standards was outdated and couldn't compete even with Blizzard / SquareEnyx ingame FMV from 2004 to compete in 2012+ movie market.

8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I do not get this at all? unless it is a interactive movie it seems damn right stupid.

9. TehWut

TehWut

Budgets?Even Blender is free, and I guarantee you can make that look a lot better than source, ugh

10. Haledire

Haledire

I only see this as some sort of distribution ploy. It's probably easier to get steam to distribute the "movie" if they use source, as they'll probably instantly agree to distribute it just for using the engine

I mean... isn't that how this game got through?

11. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Yep, one of the worst games of all time .