Search Unity

Values from editor

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by ChrisTsu, Jul 31, 2019.

1. ChrisTsu

ChrisTsu

I'm new to unity and new to programming, so sorry for anything stupid i say in advance.

Now, what is the best way to get some values that i can change in the editor and then,when the game starts or when i change the values in the editor, do something to some entities with those values.

access the fields of a script of a gameobject from a system maybe?
    convert that gameobject then somehow get the values from the components?

if my question is not clear i'll try to clarify.

2. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I would start by reading the Documentation and then digging into the Samples.

Maybe start by just creating some Entities. I can later reply with some example I found useful when I started with ECS

3. ChrisTsu

ChrisTsu

i'm constantly looking at the documentation and going through the samples.I have made a scene with subscene and i now try (without pressing play) to change some values on an inspector script, and when i do, some entities will change their scale

edit: i just discovered Unity.Entities.Editor , maybe this is the right direction? trying to figure out how this works

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you are both new to programming and Unity. I'll recommend using MonoBehaviour & game objects without DOTS for the time being.

Antypodish likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Agree. There is much more resources available to Monobrhaviour type programming. Also Unity is more friendly as well for beginners. Where DOTS is rather in its infant state. Often breaking things.