Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Valheim render pipeline used?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nossgrr, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Nossgrr

Nossgrr

Anyone knows which Unity Render Pipeline Valheim uses? Love the art style and render.

2. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

It would make sense that it's using LRP as it's low(ish) poly so no need for HDRP. I don't think it's the built-in pipeline, but could be wrong. Also definitely using the post processing stack.

3. Nossgrr

Nossgrr

Leaning towards URP but could also be wrong.. lol. Either way, they did a great job with it.

4. PutridEx

PutridEx

Not sure, but it does look pretty good. Has a very unique look to it.
    Here's a quote from the CEO/main programmer, in response to what grass system he used:

"Na most things are custom made for the game. IE custom grass, custom terrain, custom streaming system , custom network...custom most things tbh :p"

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Built-in is my guess. I poked through the managed DLLs using JetBrains DotPeek (a decompiler). Post processing is handled by the original post processing system that supported built-in and the sunshafts are based off of the Unity Standard Assets Image Effects framework which predates SRPs.

HDRP is definitely off the table as they're using an asset that has no support for it called Lux Lit Particles.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/lux-lit-particles-138052

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Meltdown, Rewaken, elmar1028 and 4 others like this.
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Agreed I also had a dig and it to me looks like built in, which would make sense given when they started development. Like URP was nowhere near ready at that point, and changing RP during production would have sucked

Ryiah likes this.
  7. kdgalla

kdgalla

You could probably achieve the same look in any of the three renderers, if you know what you're doing.

8. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

After taking a look at it yeah there's no URP. While dev started in 2017 days it's progressed to the 2019 version but really it's just post processing and some very clever shaders. Would be great if the devs would have a technical walkthrough of the system. It's a great example of amazing things you can do with Unity.

Snubber likes this.
  9. kdgalla

kdgalla

I didn't see anything technically unusual in any of the screenshots that I've seen. I'm curious what sort of custom shaders that you would use to achieve the look. Would you mind expanding on this?

10. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

The world is a dynamically generated mesh or meshes (probably using a heightmap) and supplemented by prefabs (or prefab areas like a small village) so you would need a shader that could assign different materials to different levels of the heightmap (black for the lowest like bottom of ocean, white for the highest like in the mountains). I've seen a few around but I think it's a bit of a task to get it just right which they seem to have.

kdgalla likes this.
  11. kdgalla

kdgalla

Ah, I see. Thanks. This aspect wasn't really evident in the screenshots on Steam.