Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Isometric 2.5D Toolset

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BlackMat, Jan 16, 2015.

1. BlackMat

BlackMat

If 2dtoolkit support Z sorting for tilemap then you can use one IsoObject for tilemap.

Yes, but not public. You can send your request me to email or here :)

2. fayte0618

fayte0618

Do you have any tutorials on how to use Tiled and export it to Unity?

3. BlackMat

BlackMat

Only video from first post. Do you have any questions? Ask me to email or here :)

4. inZania

inZania

I'm having some trouble with physics. I've followed the physics tutorial and it works great when I'm moving around on a single tile. But when I try to cross the boundary from one tile to the next, my character is blocked. It seems the edges between tiles block the physics for some reason, so the velocity on the player will not let him cross between tiles. If I "jump", though (increase Z axis) I can jump over the border. Here's a video: http://inzania.com/temp/mg/stepping.mov
    And here's a screenshot of my config:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  5. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello inZania. It's is normal physics behaviour (plugin can't fix it). You can make one big physics block or plane for floor and big block for stone block.

6. inZania

inZania

Thank you for the fast reply! I've added a parent GameObject as the collider and it's much better. Now, I'm having some trouble with occlusion.

First, when I jump, tiles "pop" in front of each other: http://inzania.com/temp/mg/jumping.mov
    Next, sometimes tiles re-sort. Notice how the edge of the grass moves in front/behind the stairs: http://inzania.com/temp/mg/occ.mov

Have I set something up wrong?

7. BlackMat

BlackMat

Show me please bounds and scene hierarchy. If your hero penetrate too much in stone then you can make his bound little bigger than his sprite. Like physics example.

8. inZania

inZania

Here is my hierarchy. As you can see, I already made the hero bounds bigger than the sprite.
    I think the problem probably has to do with how I'm combining the "plateau" (GameObject) with the child "tile" game objects. Both the plateau and tiles are IsoObjects, and I can't seem to get the settings right. The plateau is 8x2, while the tiles are 1x1 each. Only the plateau has an IsoRigidbody / IsoBoxCollider, so that the player can walk around the plateau as one object.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. BlackMat

BlackMat

No, make physics bound little bigger than Iso Object bounds or vice versa :)

Also if you want have many sprites in one Iso Object (like "plateau") you should be placed internal sprites in right position relative to each other. (Like physics example "Buildings") Or send me project to email and I'll fix it for you :)

10. inZania

inZania

Thanks so much. This makes sense now! I thought the tiles would auto-sort, I didn't realize order mattered here. It's working now :)

I'm running into one more small problem with movement. I'm changing my hero's velocity in the Update() function, just like you show in the tutorial. However, the hero's movement is "jittery" or "stuttering." The velocity is changing between Update() calls and I cannot understand why. For example, in my Update() function, I do this:

Code (csharp):
    1. Vector3old=isoRigidBody.velocity;
    2. isoRigidBody.velocity=newVector3(2,0,0);
    3. Debug.Log(old+"->"+isoRigidBody.velocity+"("+Time.time+")");
    When this prints out, it says "(1.9,0,0) -> (2,0,0)"

For some reason, the velocity is decreasing from 2 to 1.9 between Update() calls, causing the "stuttering" where the hero seems to speed up and slow down. My assumption is that some sort of friction or force is decreasing the velocity between frames. But I'm still a bit new to Unity and don't know how to figure out where the bug is :(

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  11. BlackMat

BlackMat

12. inZania

inZania

Perfect! Thanks so much for all your help. The project is really coming along now :)

13. inZania

inZania

I've built some tools I'd like to share. However, I also have a question about performance. The scripts that come with the Iso2.5D Toolset plugin create a single mesh for an entire Tiled file. I wanted each tile to be separate, so I could have a destructible world, like the screenshot below.

@blackmat this means a 50x50 world can easily have many thousands of tiles. Will this hurt performance later on?

What I've done is to create my own "spawner" script that can load the Tiled file into objects like this. Check out the source code here. Here's how it works. First, I attach the script to a spawner object on my root. I attach the .tmx file as the asset, set my default pivot points, and also provide some tile prefabs as "templates." These templates already have their box colliders, rigid bodies, etc. setup. They're used to spawn the actual tiles when the .tmx file is imported:

My script also understands z-layers. If you set the z-property on a layer in Tiled, it automatically assigns that value to the tiles in that layer. By default, any tile the map will use the first "tile template" provided in the script setup. However, you can also provide a custom property in tiled, called "template," to use a different prefab. This is what lets me create stairs, for example. The stairs have a more sophisticated hierarchy, as you can see above, where there are multiple rigid bodies / colliders as children of the iso object.

The stairs get loaded from the prefab, so they have their own physics set up. Importantly, I only need 1 prefab for each "type" of tile. I could have many different stairs (stone, wood, etc.) all sharing the same prefab, since the script swaps out the asset when it runs:

The total effect is that I can use the Tiled program to have complex physics worlds (video): http://inzania.com/temp/mg/tiled_imported.mov

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  14. BlackMat

BlackMat

For big number of dynamic tiles you need have chunk system, because many Unity GameObject is very expensive.

15. fayte0618

fayte0618

Hi! I have a question? I noticed that Layer Collision Matrix adjustment doesn't work on Iso Colliders. How do I make it work?

16. BlackMat

BlackMat

Thank you for report! It's my mistake. I'll fix it in a couple of days and send it for you!

Fast fix for you (IsoFakeObject.cs): http://pastebin.com/RhDdyPHv

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Can you use singleton pattern for found isoworld ? It can improve perf.

18. fayte0618

fayte0618

Thanks for the fix. It works better now.

I have another problem, I have this wall object that has an iso box collider set as a trigger. And in order for the trigger to set off I noticed it must have an iso rigidbody. Can't it be the other way around? Where my player contains the iso rigidbody so that I won't have to place rigidbodies on my walls?

19. BlackMat

BlackMat

You can store IsoWorld to your game logic singleton (if you need). In the plugin it moment haven't performance problem.

20. BlackMat

BlackMat

No, wall not must have a IsoRigidbody (If you use it for trigger) But...What behavior do you want?

21. fayte0618

fayte0618

Because I have for example 20 walls, and only 1 player. Instead of having 20 iso rigid bodies I can only have 1 for the player. Was just thinking for optimization purposes.

22. BlackMat

BlackMat

You can have only IsoBoxCollider for wall. It's ok.

23. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

I have problem with runtime creation of IsoObject which lag because of search of IsoWorld. I have already modify plugin with singleton pattern so all good.But I prefer a real plugin modification for futur upgrade.

24. fayte0618

fayte0618

Yeah I was about to do that but the problem is IsoTriggers are not detected on the walls if it has no rigidbody

25. BlackMat

BlackMat

OK! I'll research this moment :)

Em...I tried this situation and all right if IsTrigger is On. You can send me minimal project to email and i'll fix it.

26. inZania

inZania

Hi @blackmat, I'm back again and feeling foolish :( I'm trying to simply detect when an object is moused-over or clicked. I've tried adding ` OnMouseOver` or ` OnMouseEnter` to a script on the object, but neither ever fires. Next, I tried doing some raycasting.

In a normal 3D world, it seems the code would look something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. RaycastHit hit;
    2. Ray r = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
    3. IsoRaycastHit[] iHits = IsoUtils.IsoConvertRaycastHits(Physics.RaycastAll(r));
    4. foreach(IsoRaycastHit iHit in iHits){
    5.   Debug.Log("Hit!"+iHit.rigidbody);
    6. }
    That didn't work (not too surprising; you've explained that the 3D space and the Iso space are different, of course). Next I tried creating a "tracker" (an IsoBoxCollider) that is at the same exact position of the camera. Then I tried this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. IsoRaycastHit isoHit;
    2. Vector3 targetedPosition = isoWorld.MouseIsoPosition();
    3. Vector3 camPos = tracker.GetComponent<IsoObject>().position;
    4. Ray ray = new Ray(camPos, targetedPosition - camPos);
    5. if(tracker.Raycast(ray,out isoHit,float.MaxValue)){
    6.   Debug.Log(isoHit.rigidbody);
    7. }
    This always prints out the tracker itself (never collides with any other object).

Of course, I could just look at the isoWorld.MouseIsoPosition(). But the problem with this is that it does not take into account Z-layer occlusion. It always returns, say, 1x1x0, even though I might actually be trying to target an object at 0x0x1.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  27. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hi, inZania :)
    You can use 2d trigger collider special for raycast and mouse (On your IsoObjects). It's simplest way. Hardest way calculate virtual isometric camera position and start raycast from here to isometric mouse position, but plugin can't it yet :(

28. inZania

inZania

Ah! I thought that the IsoCollider would provide the `OnMouse___` functions, but I see that I needed to add a 2d box collider w/ a trigger separately :)

29. BlackMat

BlackMat

Version 2.3.2
    Bug fixing
    - 'DontDestroyOnLoad' now working with physic objects
    - 'Layer Collision Matrix' fixes
    - Tiled map material bug fix
    Performance tweaks
    - Collision events is disabled by default (add IsoTriggerListener or IsoCollisionListener for get events)
    - 'Cache renderers' flag for IsoObject
    - 'IsoWorld.Instance' for get IsoWorld singleton instance

30. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

:):)

So I need a collider per tile ? It's not heavy ?

31. BlackMat

BlackMat

Yes, it's heavy, but you can use it only for objects (buildings, characters and etc) and one collider for floor.

32. BlackMat

BlackMat

Snapping in editor mode. Work in progress.

33. BlackMat

BlackMat

Version 2.4
    - Snapping support for editor
    - Add capsule collider
    - Physic raycast from iso camera support (IsoWorld.RayFromIsoCameraToIsoPoint)

34. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

What allows this feature ?

35. BlackMat

BlackMat

Physic raycast from "eyes" to mouse point for example. (look new physic example)

36. BlackMat

BlackMat

You may send me your feature requests for this plugin and I'll implement them in the next versions :)

37. tomph

tomph

Hi blackmat. I'm having issues with TriggerEvent in Playmaker. Events are not firing (tags are correct), both ISOBoxColliders are marked as trigger and I have ISOTriggerListener component on both objects.

I even tried the playmaker actions in Example Scene00 but they do not work. Could you check it for me?

Thanks

38. tomph

tomph

Ok, it's working now. I had to add a rigidbody, i think?

39. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hi tomph! Yes, trigger events are only sent if one of the colliders also has a rigidbody attached. (this behaviour like standard unity physics)

40. antonincharrier

antonincharrier

Hello,
    I hope my question is not stupid.

I've begun using your tool since not a long time ago. I tried to add Gravity to my GameObjects, and they don't 'fall' on Iso Z axis, but on Iso Y axis... I tried to make the same as you did in the second video, with just two GameObjects to see if I did a mistake in my scene, but it still does the same mistake... I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I am a beginner, so I think it is just a stupid error, but I really don't know where it is :(

Here is a little record:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/hfL6VtXFFkuLm/giphy.gif

41. BlackMat

BlackMat

Braza likes this.
  42. antonincharrier

antonincharrier

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

43. BlackMat

BlackMat

you are welcome :)

44. NechyporukEvgen

NechyporukEvgen

Hello! is it possible to make a tile top-down type? like this:

Please show an example of your script in action, thank you very much!

45. BlackMat

BlackMat

Yes it's possible! :)

46. BlackMat

BlackMat

->Demo<-

47. NechyporukEvgen

NechyporukEvgen

Thank you, but I had in mind the example of the top-down view. But if possible, I am glad)

48. Helipork

Helipork

Hey,

I've been using this wonderful plugin for a personal project, and I've just stumbled upon an issue: it doesn't really seem to handle isometric rotation (unless I just haven't found the way to do it). I need to rotate and image from a tile towards another one, at runtime. Is there an easy way to do this using the toolset, or should I look into some geometry notions such as projection?

Unity Vector2.Angle doesn't really help me, since it returns an angle based on Vector2.zero (and even if it did work, I'd still have to convert the returned angle into an isometric one).

49. BlackMat

BlackMat

You can rotate your sprite (if it's child of Iso Object) for example. Also you can make sequence animation for rotation. And also you can use 3d models for rotate all axis.

50. antonincharrier

antonincharrier

Hello again!

I have iso gameobjects with IsoRigidbody and IsoBoxCollider. I want to add functions OnTriggerEnter and OnTriggerExit. It worked well with OnTriggerEnter2D and OnTriggerExit2D without using Iso scripts, but when I converted it to IsoObject, OnTriggerEnter2D didn't work, neither OnTriggerEnter.
    Is there a way to use those functions with your plugin?