Search Unity

[V3 RELEASED!] CTAA V3 ' CINEMATIC TEMPORAL ANTI-ALIASING ' now with HDRP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA_LABS, Jan 29, 2018.

1. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

What is the timeline for removing the need for two separate cameras? This was a method only used in the very early days of VR. I'm not sure how to integrate it with our project, since we use quite a few image effect scripts:

I'm guessing single camera setup will come with single pass stereo support, which is now almost a year delayed?

tcmeric likes this.
  2. fbayersound

fbayersound

Fantastic plugin! :D head and shoulders above the rest, no comparison. Using it with Unity 2018 latest beta and so far looks great with pretty much everything! Keep up to good work livenda.

ekergraphics, I just replied to your post regarding render order, didn't realize you were talking about CTAA:)

Any ETA on 1.3?

3. NoSpoonAnim

NoSpoonAnim

hi,
    actually i don't know what was causing distance shadowing because after restarting it wen't away. looks awesome in VR though, no "sizzle" at all:) but parameters sometimes seem to do nothing

4. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Should not be much longer, Unity currently does not provide Motion vectors in VR (which are required for CTAA) so we generate our own custom motion vectors when in VR. What makes this more complicated is different motion vector calculations are required for each HMD as they are not compatible. We should have Single Camera method available by Unity 2018 final release

Any minute, hour or day now:) as it was submitted last week. cheers and thanks for your great comments.

Some of the parameters are very tight and you will notice their effect if you look carefully and some are more apparent in scenes where there is a large HDR range or contrasting neighboring pixels.

Generally Speaking you almost never have to change the ' HDR Response ' parameter from it's default of 0.001 . V1.3 introduces two more new parameters which are a little more obvious/ apparent when tweaking.

tapawafo likes this.
  5. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I'm very happy with the result of CTAA. It looks fantastic and the performance is also very good. But I have a problem with CTAA and trueSKY. With CTAA enabled the point stars from trueSKY are barely visible. Is there

CTAA enabled

CTAA disabled, trueSKY point stars visible

Marko

6. EvilFox

EvilFox

CTAA performs filtering single pixels, is fee for the fix "Specular Shimmer" and other pixel shimmer.
    Try increasing the size of the stars or draw stars after the CTAA-pass.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  7. rasto61

rasto61

Hello, would you be able to provide some information on the performance cost of your ctaa?
    perhaps some examples of screenshots of scene and profiler

And is there documentation available somewhere?
    And to double check, you currently do not support single pass vr? Will it be supported in unity 2017.1?
    Does ctaa work with PRISM?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  8. LilGames

LilGames

So it seems the asset is on sale now and actively promoted by Unity. I tried the demos and in general it looks really great except it DOES have artifacting, jitter and junk appear whenever a mesh is viewed against the skybox. Like, VHS video tape style random horizontal distortion at the edges of the meshes. This is in contradiction to the asset's marketing claims and also completely supports the claims in the 1-star review.

These screen grabs are from "SAILSHIP_DEMO_CTAA" demo:

CTAA-horizontal-jitter.png CTAA-chunky-jitter-junk_01.png CTAA-chunky-jitter-junk_02.png

----------------------------------
    EDIT [Feb 14 2019] : I should have stated my specs for those screen grabs: Older card, older system. Radeon 5700 HD, i5, Windows 7, 12 GB Ram

I don't know if they have done any updates since then, but now when I test the same demo with an Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, i7 8700K, Windows 10 system, there are NO artifacts at all. Looks great!
    ----------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. rasto61

rasto61

Well it looks like I wont be getting ctaa then...
    Its a shame. The asset looks really great. But the single pass support which was said in february to be in the next update doesnt seem to be there (here we are in may and an update later). It is good that I held of then despite how good the vr demos looked. I would really like to get the asset, I would be happy paying the full price, if I knew promises are going to be kept. My main reason for holding out is that after a quick search, Livenda doesnt seem to have the best reputation when it comes to support. And not responding to enquiries when unity promotes their asset and the asset is on sale does not increase my confidence.

I also think this is a mistake on unity's part in promoting the asset quite heavily. I dont think they did their due dilligence since they are promoting an asset by a developer that doesn't have a very good history in regards to selling assets. With the almost non-existent support for refunds (any major platform for selling digital content that takes a 30% cut from the sales price has some refund mechanism in place (that dont leave you to the mercy of the developer, and wheter they decide to even answer your emails in the first place)). I think this a poor decision by unity.

I would be happy if Livenda chimed in to refute my claims.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    LilGames likes this.
  10. saxovr

saxovr

Hi. Anyone have any advice on how to hook this up to the latest steamvr prefab camera. It only has one "eye" camera and all the examples in the asset use two? Also what is best approach for using Windows MR with it? Thanks!

11. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

I just bought the CTAA asset yesterday and I'm getting an odd 'smearing' affect I've not seen with TAA solutions.
    You can see in the capture below the corner on the wall 'smears' as the turret moves underneath. This is captured with the default settings, but I have tried adjusting all options and nothing seems to make an adjustment to this issue.
    Livenda_CTAA_2.gif

Has anyone else seen this? This is a deal breaker with this solution for me. If anyone has any ideas what it could be or how to fix it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Dan

CianNoonan likes this.
  12. LilGames

LilGames

I really want to know why Unity promoted this in their big sale event...

Adam-Bailey likes this.
  13. EvilFox

EvilFox

It looks like a problem with motion vectors.
    It seems they are drawn like there is no wall.

14. EvilFox

EvilFox

@DanMarionette, I remembered! You're probably using an orthographic projection? Shader isn't compatible with it right now.

15. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

We purchased the asset before the sale, but we still haven't gotten to try it yet due to waiting for single camera support.

This is worrying, because this is very close to what we are doing in VR (boat on open ocean, against a skybox background).

@LIVENDA_LABS any progress the last two months? 2018.1 is now officially released, so is the single camera and single pass stereo ready like you mentioned?

16. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

I know it looks like an orthographic camera, but it's not. I'm using a "long lens" and the gif is cropped heavily. It does look like a motion vector issue, like you said. I have been using Playdeads TAA with fantastic results. CTAA has always been marketed as being the best but for my project, aside from this glitch, I still feel that Pleaydeads TAA beats it.

EvilFox and ekergraphics like this.
  17. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Well, now... I wasn't aware of that one... and their "latest" update says:

EvilFox likes this.
  18. EvilFox

EvilFox

@DanMarionette, I do not observe a similar problem like you have with CTAA, maybe some kind of effect or bad geometry breaks down it.
    Try this script and shader:
    CameraEffects.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class CameraEffects : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.    [SerializeField] private Shader shader;
    6.    private Material material;
    8.    private void Start () {
    9.        material = new Material(shader);
    10.    }
    12.    private void OnRenderImage(RenderTexture src, RenderTexture dest)
    13.    {
    14.        Graphics.Blit(src, dest, material);
    15.    }
    16. }
    MotionVectors.shader:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Hidden/MotionVectors"
    2. {
    3.     Properties
    4.     {
    5.         _MainTex ("Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.     }
    7.     SubShader
    8.     {
    9.         Cull Off ZWrite Off ZTest Always
    10.         Pass
    11.         {
    12.             CGPROGRAM
    13.             #pragma vertex vert
    14.             #pragma fragment frag
    16.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    18.             struct appdata
    19.             {
    20.                 float4 vertex : POSITION;
    21.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    22.             };
    24.             struct v2f
    25.             {
    26.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    27.                 float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
    28.             };
    30.             v2f vert (appdata v)
    31.             {
    32.                 v2f o;
    33.                 o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    34.                 o.uv = v.uv;
    35.                 return o;
    36.             }
    38.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    39.             sampler2D_half _CameraMotionVectorsTexture;
    41.             fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
    42.             {
    43.                 fixed4 col = tex2D(_CameraMotionVectorsTexture, i.uv);
    44.                 return saturate(length(col.rg)) * 10;
    45.             }
    46.             ENDCG
    47.         }
    48.     }
    49. }
    You must attach the script to the camera and specify this shader for the script.
    When moving, the wall must remain black.

19. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

Thank you for this shader. I have tried it in my project at this is the result.
    MotionVectors.gif

Should the wall be occluding the turrets gun?

Thanks
    Dan

20. EvilFox

EvilFox

Yes.
    You have to understand why the motion vectors are rendered over wall.
    Maybe wall used shader with rendering mode transparent or fade?

21. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

All the materials are Standard shader opaque at the moment. It's not just the wall that does it. It's just the easiest to demo. You can see the body of the tank distort the turret when they rotate independently.

22. Freznosis

Freznosis

I didn't even realize I missed the sale! I was so looking forward to picking this up. I've had no luck with the AA solutions for Unity (even Unity's AA.) Guess I'll have to wait :(

23. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

Have you tried playdeads? Just search google. I love it for my project.

24. EvilFox

EvilFox

@DanMarionette,
    I tried PlaydeadTAA and it was blurring the picture.
    It has many parameters, can you show me good parameters? (for a clear picture)

Attached Files:

25. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

I wish I knew the settings well. I'm lucky that "out the box" gives me nice results. I am also aware that it gives a softer AA solution which might not be ideal. It's one of the reasons I like it. I have found it works best at the end of the stack. Also, you might want to try disabling the motion blur option. (but from my understanding it's a by-product of their technique and they just run with it).
    Here is a screen shot from my project (in development)
    PlaydeadTAA.png

Mauri likes this.
  26. rasto61

rasto61

It does have a lot of parameters. Im not sure if its in relation to the others I have set, but I think that feedback min and feedback max on the temporal reprojection component affect this the most. When feedback max is higher, it can get a bit blurry, try bringing that down.

EvilFox likes this.
  27. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

You can also lower the pattern scale for the frustum jitter. That seems to make things a bit sharper. You might find better results with different patterns too. Like I said, it's a softer effect though than most. They developed it for their game Inside I think and that style doesn't have a lot of fine detail.

28. Freznosis

Freznosis

I've tried it, it is very jittery regardless of my settings just like Unity's TAA. CTAA is the only AA I've tried that doesn't jitter or ghost. The only other thing I can do to get smooth edges is to use SSAA but that is an obvious FPS killer.

29. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

I think like pretty much everything in game dev, there is no silver bullet AA solution. I guess, we'll have to just add these different ones to our tool sets and choose which best fits our projects.

30. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

I can't say this will work for you, but I did manage to reduce some jitter by enabling TXAA on the PostProcessing stack and then using Playdeads TAA over the top. There will be a performance impact I'm sure and the image will probably get softer.

31. eobet

eobet

The sale is still going but CTAA is no longer discounted.

And zero communication from Livenda...

The difference between a free and paid asset is down to support according to some (Amplify, for example), and this is one of the most expensive assets I've seen, which makes me think that they should monitor this forum like a hawk.

32. EvilFox

EvilFox

@DanMarionette,
    Motion blur does not affect for AA blur.
    I already realized that PTAA is more suitable for games with simple graphics.

@rasto61,
    Thanks. I managed to reduce the blur, but not complete.
    There then begins to jitter edges.

33. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there, I bought this during the sale on a bit of an impulse, but after I tested out that demo with the Mercedes, I must say, that was impressive. I had a question about performance impact though. I have a fairly high-end PC (i7 68xx, gtx 1080, 32gb, raid ssd) So it is a bit hard for me to test how things run and look on different performance levels of PC. Does this still work on lower end hardware? Is there a minimum / recommended? I am guessing that it can simply be turned off in a user settings menu if the impact is bogging down a system?

34. MostHated

MostHated

Each day there is an asset that is 70% off throughout the sale and they make a big banner for it. I am confused as to why is it so important for you to know why they did that?

35. DanMarionette

DanMarionette

I have a i7 5820k oc to 4Gh but I only have a GTX 660 Ti and the demo runs fine for me.

36. Mauri

Mauri

Let's just say Livenda's history isn't a fully white waistcoat/vest. One of their main issue is communication - it's often lacking (Candela SSRR)... Add a pinch of "questionable claims" (see this) and "broken promises" (SpectraGI) to this and you'll get people that tend to be very cautious whenever the name Livenda pops up.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Kubic75 and Freznosis like this.
  37. Freznosis

Freznosis

You've got me worried, I didn't realize Livenda had such a shady history. I'm worried about sinking $200 into this asset now.

On the other hand, a new asset just popped up, I might try it out.

38. MostHated

MostHated

You missed out, it was $65 or so 2 days ago : x That is why I got it. It seems to work well from the test thingy I played.

39. rasto61

rasto61

Looks interesting

The 'test thingy you played' you mean the demo provided by Livenda? I think demos always show an asset in the best way that works for that asset. Once you buy it and need something though, you might be out of luck...

40. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I just tested Playdead's TAA in our VR project. Plug and play, very smooth sailing, but unfortunately, despite single pass stereo support, out of the box, there was a terrible streaking effect, which was a complete showstopper. Perhaps it can be tweaked, but it was also much blurrier than MSAA so I'm not going to put in the effort at this time.

Hopefully, Livenda will provide a single camera update soon so I can test if CTAA is better for VR.

41. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

I bought yout asset. Is it possible to use it with the standart OVR Camera controller?

42. LilGames

LilGames

Everyone is talking about PlayDeadTAA but when I search the asset store, I can't find it. Link?

43. rasto61

rasto61

LilGames likes this.
  44. Eiseno

Eiseno

Why u increase the price from 65 to 195 ? Unity sale is not end yet

Justin_Wingfall likes this.
  45. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Thats what I was just thinking about. Was going to buy it, because it was affordable now it's a major turn off. I choose to ignored about the history others brought up about the shady history of the developer of this asset and I was still going to folk of 65 dollars. But 200 dollars? Right when I save up my money all week and saying I was going to buy this asset during unity sale, yet this happen. Very very disappointing.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  46. rasto61

rasto61

The 70% off sale was a 24 hour sale. There was the madness sale that ran for ~2 weeks where assets were discounted by up to 50% and then every day an asset would be heavily discounted just for 24 hours.

47. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

welp, maybe next year there will be another 70% off for this.

48. tcmeric

tcmeric

So the release of Unity 2018 has come and gone. No sign of single pass. I posted a warning review on the asset store for this. Especially for VRTK users. I would be happy to change the review if the author bothered to post and here and get single pass out. No word from them since March.

Zbad and tapawafo like this.
  49. Zbad

Zbad

v3.1 is broken in Unity 2018.1+ using Oculus Rift

tcmeric likes this.
  50. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hi, Single pass will be available shortly in upcoming updates (no specific time frame yet however) , this is not a simple and trivial feature to implement for Temporal based effects as custom motion vectors need to be rendered ' differently ' depending on the VR headset being used. We are working hard to make this happen ASAP! Also btw, Please note that ' Single Pass ' is not twice the performance, it heavily depends on the scene and can be slower then multi pass in most instances, so please check. Last but not least, even when you choose a single camera, Unity will duplicate it internally including the attached effects so no performance gain vs multiple cameras.

We would greatly appreciate if you can revise your review, thank you again!

This is already fixed in upcoming CTAA V1.4, it is related to a Unity 2018 bug which reverses cameras. We have already submitted this to Unity and should be available very soon to download (PS. We made multiple submissions consecutively hence the delay) , thank you again!

EvilFox likes this.