Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[V3 RELEASED!] CTAA V3 ' CINEMATIC TEMPORAL ANTI-ALIASING ' now with HDRP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA_LABS, Jan 29, 2018.

1. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

CTAA NXT V3 2021 RELEASED AND AVAILABLE
    NOW WITH HDRP SUPPORT
    ' Cinematic Temporal Anti-Aliasing ' for PC & VR + HDRP

CTAA_V3_with_HDRP_Released.jpg
    UNITY ASSET STORE
    ALL PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS CAN NOW UPGRADE TO V3!
    SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICE

CTAA_PC_VR_Unity.jpg
    The premier next generation cutting-edge temporal anti-aliasing solution for PC and VR
    (OCULUS / HTC VIVE)

CTAA NXT V3 2021 is a Major upgrade now with full support for HDRP as well as providing significant Quality and performance increases accross the board for all available Render pipelines for PC + All VR devices.

- 2 METHODS OF CUSTOM LAYER SELECTION ADDED! You can now Exclude CTAA Temporal Anti-Aliasing from any Object or GUI Elements and it's Easy! When using the new Supersampling addition, custom layer selection script can be used, if not, the default method should be used which is explained in the Documentation Update file.

- Layer Exclusion works for All versions including all VR versions, so it is easy to eg. exclude the GUI elements from CTAA for crisp and clear UI

- All other third-party Post effects such as the Unity Post processing Stack V2 works with layer exclusions

- 2 SUPERSAMPLING Methods, CinaSoft and CinaUltra Added. These can be used together with CTAA at the same time to achieve the Ultimate Anti-Aliasing for very Demanding scenes and true next-gen AAA look.

- CTAA for PC now checks resolution changes automatically and scales all required render targets, eliminating dark outline anomalies and proving a much more robust usage workflow.

- CTAA PC GUI is updated, MSAA can now be controlled from within CTAA UI

- More Demo scenes added for each version for PC and VR outlining the new updates and usage methods.

- More prefabs added for quick start for PC and VR. Prefabs are also available for layer selection setup

- Single Pass VR mode is now Clearer with more accurate motion vectors

DOWNLOAD MULTIPLE EVALUATION DEMOS NOW

CTAA PC DEMOS

CTAA VR DEMOS OCULUS & VIVE

CTAA VS UNITY TAA PC DEMO

NEW! CTAA VS UNITY TAA VS FXAA PC DEMO 2

Today Unity Changes! With a single click, CTAA enables all Unity users to achieve near off-line Cinematic Render Quality results in Real-Time. CTAA provides the highest performance/ quality in comparison to other available solutions on Unity and other Engines. Reduce and eliminate Aliasing from Specular highlights and bright pixels especially when using post effects such as Bloom or Depth of Field including Aliasing on alpha tested edges. Being a temporal (Time based) process, new pixel data is gathered from past and extrapolated future frames for final re-construction based on velocity information.

NOTABLE CTAA CUSTOMERS - INDUSTRY TESTED
    Notable_CTAA_Customers.jpg

CTAA provides unmatched quality results impossible for other ' spatial only ' solutions such as MSAA, FXAA, SMAA. Other 'Temporal ' methods suffer from extreme jitter / Ghosting / blurriness and the AA is not properly retained while the Camera is in motion. They also introduce excessive post- sharpening filter to mitigate the blurry results while ruining the final image.

Works with FORWARD & DEFERRED Render paths, compatible with and can be used at the same time with the Unity Post Processing stack V1 and V2

► No more Specular SHIMMER or ALIASING
    ► No more PBS induced high-frequency FLICKERING
    ► No more HDR Bloom FLICKER
    ► No more ROGUE/STRAY Pixel SHIMMER
    CTAA at 4K
    ROCK STEADY Film Quality sharp Anti-Aliased image at blazing performance rates for PC and VR
    GREAT FOR VR!
    MSAA
    can also be used together with CTAA (when in forward render mode) providing unmatched true off-line quality results. This is a great option for all VR projects due to a significant increase in quality at little performance cost. 2xMSAA is sufficient to providing AA equivalent to 8xMSAA quality together with all the advantages provided with a temporal solution.
    CTAA_CAR_Unity2017_VR.png

SAILING SHIP
    CTAA_Sailhip.jpg

4K PANORAMIC 360 nVidia ANSEL Screenshot

View attachment 264416

UNITY ASSET STORE

SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICE

PLEASE VISIT www.livenda.com for more information e-mail and support

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL CTAA THREAD, PLEASE KEEP ALL QUESTIONS and INQUIRIES RELEVANT TO CTAA, THANK YOU.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    mimminito likes this.
  2. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

We have Good news to share
    Price now only $195 Until the 15th of February for our launch special, available on the Asset Store . Also stay tuned for other great announcements coming soon.

3. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

We are currently working on more VR demos, this is an in Editor screenshot comparison image of
    CTAA Cinematic Anti-Aliasing for OCULUS VR in Deferred mode with Linear Color Space.

CTAA_VR_OCULUS.jpg

CTAA PRICE UNTIL 15th February, ONLY $195 LAUNCH SPECIAL! On the Unity Asset Store

4. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

What do the Oculus and Vive one do differently than the PC one?

5. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hi, each version is tuned for that platform, also, due to differences each has a specific (different ) method of generating motion vectors (which is required for re-projection) to make it work.

Michael

6. superjayman

superjayman

Hey guys, just a quick question is it advisable to also use FXAA together with CTAA in deferred mode? Cheers

7. Xype

Xype

Man I gotta pay my taxes everybody trying to take my money! Luckily this one I can wait a bit, it will be more for end production polishing. Yes I know price will go up it is ok I can see the value!

LIVENDA_LABS likes this.
  8. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

In Deferred mode we do not advise to use any other AA solution when using CTAA, FXAA will just make it blurry.

9. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Can you repair the demos for the new steamvr. These don't work with the current version

10. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hi, Just tested with the latest SteamVR runtime (updated 10 January) and it is working fine here, can you please provide more information. SteamVR runtime updates should not just break compiled executables, thanks.

11. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

There was another update to steam vr after the 10. What happens is it gets stuck in the waiting room however you can see it playing on screen but not in the headset.

12. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Thanks, can you tell us the exact version of SteamVR you are using (I think there was another update on the 26 Jan after checking)

Cheers,
    Michael

13. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Actually the latest released version (Not Beta) was built on the 10th and released on the 26th Version number
    1515522829, this is the latest and should be tested with this.

14. jjejj87

jjejj87

Few things.

1. What is the normal price? I would like to know how good of a deal I am getting.
    2. Nice that you are providing many demo's but the pc demo is based on Unity 5 and the comparison demo is based on Unity 2017.1. Please upload a demo with 2017.3 with adjustable settings (eg. Unity TAA values) and also add the latest post processing stack so that we can check how it interacts with other effects on. I strongly feel that CTAA is good but there just isn't enough technical information. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to buy what I can't evaluate. Think from a dev's perspective and pretty much all vital info is missing (Livenda describes it, but dev's don't believe it.)
    3. I can notice aliasing on the PC Demo's on objects far away from camera and wasn't happy with it. Is this because it is based on Unity 5 or because that's just CTAA?
    4. In the comparison demo, Unity 5 TAA settings seem unfair. I've been using Unity TAA in both shipped and in-development projects and I feel that you guys deliberately adjusted settings to make TAA worse and CTAA better. Whether that is just me or that is what you guys did, all this could have been avoided if you provided adjustable sliders to test it myself. Why make 8 demos and none of them serve as one?
    5. Stop trying to be flashy...your potential buyers are not end users and will see through that...if anyone is interested in spending $200 for a AA solution, then chances are that person is not interested in cool trailers or demos...rather focus on providing infos like (1~4). Remember that person is looking to see if CTAA is a viable option for his/her project...I feel that CTAA is priced higher than the general Unity assets because you guys are spending money on stuff like this...(Once again, I don't mind the price tag, I just wish you guys are focusing on the product and the developers...). For example, I spent some time around to see if CTAA would work for my project, but couldn't find enough information to come to a conclusion, sure I can spend $200 to"test it", but I don't think that is just a smart thing.
    6. CTAA is Temporally Supersampled AA, correct? Then can you provide comparison vids on how CTAA is against other TSAA imeplementations, rather than Unity TAA. There is a clear difference between TSAA and TAA and its results. What Lavenda should be doing is showing off how CTAA as a variant of TSAA is performing against other TSAAs. Given that CTAA is the only TSAA available on Unity, just about anything will work. CTAA vs Unity TAA performance is good info, but your buyers probably know that.

Just my 2cents...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  15. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

1. Normal Price $395 after the 15th of February, current price $195, CTAA reached number 1 highest grossing within a week in Shaders Category. This is a very good deal you're getting.
    2. Unity version is irrelevant, CTAA looks and performance identically in all supported versions.
    3. Not a CTAA thing, this is basic T-AA outcome, CTAA is the only solution which minimizes this as much as possible. Caused by geometry getting 'smaller' then a pixel which is usually at a distance, good LOD on geometry will eliminate this.
    4. Comparison demo using Default Unity TAA settings, no change. Unity TAA has significant dependency on the scene and motion and does not respond well when there are large differences between neighboring pixels dynamic range. The AA also degrades rapidly during motion and too much post-sharpening is required to minimize blur. CTAA does not suffer from these problems.
    5. The demos are made to replicate typical 'AAA' projects to provide a good indication, just enjoy the demos:) CTAA deserves to be shown in the best possible manner.
    6. CTAA is hands down the highest performant and quality solution currently available to Unity both for PC and VR and we have many demos to try. As you said 'CTAA is the only TSAA available on Unity'.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  16. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

$995? I thought the price was $395 before the discount? I was going to buy this with my tax refund check I get on the 27th, I could afford $199 not $995, thats unfortunate, I was looking forward to buying this.

17. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Sorry that was a typo mistake, price after the 15th will be $395 (it was $995 on our website before it was on the Unity Asset store)

18. jjejj87

jjejj87

I honestly feel that if you provided more interactive (adjustable sliders and stats) more developers will be convinced. Nevertheless, TSAA was too good to pass, so I bought it anyway. Here is my no BS evaluation of CTAA.

I've made 3 main comparisons under the following conditions. HDR, Deferred, 1080p, linear, SEGI, Post processing stack with motion blur, contact shadows and atmospheric scattering @ 60FPS (i7, 1070GTX, Win 10, 2017.3p4).

I've loaded up a scene of my FPS project that aims to have highest possible graphics that Unity can pull and with very high color range (in another words, very bright sky and shadows here and there)

CTAA_review.jpg

My honest thoughts:
    Pros:
    • CTAA works right out of the box, attach it to camera and done.
    • Definitely better anti-aliasing and minimal ghosting. Unity TAA shows immense ghosting.
    • 3~4 FPS boost compared to Unity TAA. I believe the performance benefit will change drastically depending on the scene complexity and enabled FX but I think it is fair to say CTAA is faster than Unity TAA.
    • All settings available for the CTAA script has no performance impact

Cons:
    • Specular shimmering control is good, but still there, especially for vertical lines or horizontal lines.
    • Settings available are clamped too narrow.

Verdict:
    • Definitely the best AA solution available to Unity and has no competition quality/performace wise.
    • Pleasantly surprised with the ability to minimize ghosting.
    • It is simple and works right out of the box.
    • Could use a wider settings value clamp range so that users can explore extremes.
    • While light blinking on shiny surface is well presented, it would be nice to have a slider to control them.
    • Worth it for developers.
    • If CTAA integrated motion blur in a way that it is specifically designed for CTAA, then I believe that it could have better results. Current mix of Unity motion blur and CTAA is good enough but could be better.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    tapawafo and LIVENDA_LABS like this.
  19. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

I just checked, this is the version I am using. This is very weird, I can play any game, I did have to recompile my own game for the steam store with the newer steamVr plugin. There is one thing but I don't know if it would make a difference, I'm using a TPcast wireless transmitter.

20. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Not sure if it would be TPCast as we have not used that yet. We used VRTK for the VR interaction and that could cause an issue, VRTK sets the VR device to null on startup than changes it to the found hardware (this could possibly cause TPcast to fail)

We are updating all the VR demos now anyway to use the latest CTAA version (VR demos were using the older version) and will compile with the latest SteamVR plugin and also eliminate VRTK, not too sure on the time frame however.

21. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Well one thing is that I can definitely see whats going on in the demo on the screen. I can move the headset and see it move around. But looking inside of the HMD, it still looks as if its trying to load.

22. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Strange, that does sound like a VRTK issue not playing well with TPCast ( maybe:) ), not too sure tbh. it's working fine with our setup and no one else mentioned anything about it to us so far. The new updated VR demos will work as we will not be using VRTK.

23. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Is there anyway to get an extension on that price cut until say the 30th? I'm really interested in buying this but I don't really have $200 to spend on a chance without being able to see how it works, plus I get my taxes back on the 27th.

24. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Unfortunately Unity does not allow us to extend special price sales longer then two weeks from what we understand in their publisher EULA...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  25. contempt

contempt

I purchased CTAA from you directly day one and the upgrade last April. Is it possible to get CTAA linked to my Asset Store purchases so I can easily get updates when published rather than downloading from DropBox? Thanks!

26. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Thanks, Unity only provides 12 Vouchers and we have run out, we have contacted them to get more and will send you the code as soon as we receive them.

27. jjejj87

jjejj87

28. jjejj87

jjejj87

Also, there is a bug. When CTAA is enabled, Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint() method returns a jittering vector, which I am guessing it is related to the effect's jitter (jitter decreases and is eliminated as I scale "Temporal jitter Scale" down). This jittering gets really prominent when I am trying to overlay UI over an world object (Player name above the character for example) or very small particles.

Is this something that can be fixed or an unfortunate byproduct of Temporal FX? If it is, then maybe CTAA should contain a substitute method for WorldToScreenPoint.

I wouldn't mind implementing a workaround (can simply check if camera has moved) but this will add a layer of unnecessary calculation, but this workaround wouldn't work for all cases.

29. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Yes certainly! also in the next coming update we will provide further information in the documentation for Post stack V2 integration. We will post the integration method by Tuesday possibly sooner.

We are working on a good solution for this now without effecting the performance and should have it available in the next coming updates, however I cannot quote a time frame at this stage. In the mean while you are welcome to implement a workaround if you wish until we release the version with this option. Thanks again

30. jjejj87

jjejj87

Well, I am going to post my workaround, feel free to add it in CTAA if you feel this is feasible :D

So, the trick is to use a camera that is not under the influence of CTAA.

Here is what I did.

1. I created a another gameobject with camera component, then I disabled the gameobject and the component (no performance impact from having another camera) I made the depth -1 and cleared all options that might use any sort of performance. Don't forget to untag it. Add a hide tag in the hierachy if you dislike seeing it.
    2. Then I just called WorldToScreenPoint() to that camera and works :D
    3. If your main camera is moving, then just create an extension method or another method that you can call instead of WorldToScreenPoint(). here is my code.
      Code (CSharp):
      1. public Vector3 WorldToScreen(Vector3 _pos){
      2.         antiJitterCam.fieldOfView = mainCam.fieldOfView;
      3.         return antiJitterCam.WorldToScreenPoint(_pos);
      4.     }
    4. Add in position and rotation values to the code depending on your need, I didn't as they were both attached to a parent that governs cam movement.

31. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Fantastic and thanks for your contribution. Were glad it worked out for you, we have an update coming soon which might work better for you as it is a little more transparent for the user. In any case, good solution, thanks again.

32. jjejj87

jjejj87

LIVENDA, I understand that it is very early but have you had the chance if CTAA works well with 2018.1 especially in the HD SRP?

33. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Yes CTAA already works great in Unity 2018.1, it's still a little early to comment on HD SRP, however we see no issues, just need to let it brew a little longer while Unity are finalizing methods.

Cheers

On another note for everyone, Due to many requests, we have Extended the Launch Special Price to 28th February! Asset Store

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    jjejj87 likes this.
  34. rasto61

rasto61

Does this work with vr single pass rendering?

35. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Yes CTAA will certainly be supporting single pass rendering soon and will be available in the next coming updates. We are examining the best possible methods and the most optimized solution. It will be a transparent integration for the end user.

tapawafo likes this.
  36. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

CTAA V1.2 will be submitted to Unity Tomorrow bringing a few enhancements for both the PC and the VR Version.

Few notable update information
    - Preliminary Unity 2018 compatibility check (HD SRP is still not finalized by Unity yet)
    - Tool for VR integration and easier parameter adjustments
    - Manual update Post Stack V2 integration (wip)
    - Overall performance enhancement

We were also able to extend the Launch Special Price to 28th February! Asset Store

37. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

CTAA V1.2 has been submitted to Unity today

38. ugur

ugur

This looks very nice.
    Do you have any ETA for single pass rendering support in VR or is it still to early to tell?
    Also: Does this work in WebGL deploy, too?

39. jjejj87

jjejj87

ETA on V1.2?

I am trying to work PP Stack and CTAA together as I've mentioned before.

40. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

As we have mentioned in a previous answer single pass rendering will be available in the next coming updates. We are examining the best possible methods and the most optimized solution. No specific time frame yet, possibly will coincide when Unity 2018 final is released.

V1.2 was submitted late Tuesday so we are hoping Unity will post it soon. please note this is only a preliminary Post Effect 'V2.0' integration method which is explained in the updated docs. In the next coming updates we will have full integration as CTAA will need to be plugged-in to the post stack V2 at the correct location and will appear as a ' custom loaded effect' in the post process layer script.

41. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Could anyone manage to run CTAA with the Camera Rig Newton VR is using? Its different from the normal Oculus Rig and wont work out of the box.

42. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hi, We will have a prefab in the next update which works with Newton VR, thank you.

43. simonmcm

simonmcm

Hi,

The docs say conflicting things about whether the CTAA component should come before or after the post-processing stack v1. What is the actual correct ordering for CTAA and post-processing stack v1?

44. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hi, When using the post-processing stack V1 it is recommended (in almost all cases ) that CTAA is placed Before the stack. This ensures the post-processing stack receives a temporally stable and perfectly anti-aliased HDR result to work with. Makes sure to disable TAA or FXAA in the stack ,also you do not need to enable 'Anti-Flicker' option in the Bloom section when using CTAA

45. jjejj87

jjejj87

I am actually a little disappointed with the v1.2

As far as I can tell, no changes were made PC wise - same file with some documentation updates. I am not sure how some optimization/performance was improved without any change to the code. Or am I mistaken?

The documents are actually poorly written providing no real info other than add CTAA after the Post Processing Stack - no examples or a scene with working integration to the stack - not even a guideline.

I waited for the V1.2 release as it was mentioned by Livenda himself that it would address the integration, but it is pretty much barebones. I am happy with CTAA, for sure, but I feel that Livenda could have made it clear what was going to be added. I am not sure why Livenda can't just release a text file, github script or a web page with instructions for integration when updates don't contain them. What is the point of waiting?

No love lost, but wish you could handle things like this smoothly after paying $200.

46. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

First we like to thank you for your kind words and great review! The instructions we have provided for integration with Unity 2018 Post stack V2 are preliminary as 2018 /V2 is still in beta and not finalized and Unity are still doing changes. The preliminary instructions provided in CTAA V1.2 will get it working however when we provide the final integration script it will be in the correct order in the stack.

Being a temporal effect it is not as straight forward as adding 'other' type of effect in to the V2 stack, we have to be very careful and test thoroughly to make sure it doesn't break anything, so we are just being cautious. We will update the manuals and provide an example scene when ready in the next coming updates. Thanks again!

47. jjejj87

jjejj87

I understand. btw, I tested CTAA on 2018.1b10 last night and I found some interesting results, thought you could look into it as well.

in 2018.1b10 deferred, linear HDR enviroment:

with CTAA only, things still work and look great but distanced objects seem to flicker a lot more. (300m+)

with Unity TAA only, things dont look as great, but objects far away seem to flicker very little (better looking)

with both Unity TAA and CTAA on, it looks best. I know, I know, but for some odd reason, it looks better (I am only talking about distanced objects, near objects look good under both) It wasn't like this on 2017.3, so check it out.

48. NoSpoonAnim

NoSpoonAnim

yeah, i'm on 2017.3 and distanced object look terrible, makes me motion sick. will that be fixed?

49. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hi, I presume you're referring to the VR version ? If so what platform Oculus / VIVE / WMR? It would be great if you can PM me so we can look at your project as we have not experienced what you are mentioning. CTAA has been so far thoroughly industry tested over the last few years and is always improving.

We have submitted V1.3 and it should be available very soon. We have additional parameters which provides you more options specific to your project and an important New parameter called ' Micro Shimmer Reduction '

Thanks however it is irrelevant as Unity 2018 is still in Beta. Please PM me so we can take a look at your project to better understand how you came to this conclusion as you cannot have TAA together with CTAA which will lead to very very blurry results. CTAA clearly outperforms all other available methods by a long-shot. So please PM me so we can take a look.

Here is a new DEMO link to directly compare CTAA with other methods

Last but not least V1.3 as mentioned above has been submitted and should be available very soon, CTAA V1.3 feature highlights, Micro Sub-Pixel Shimmer Reduction Parameter added (Reduces sub-pixel micro poly shimmer even further), better HDR response & Improved Performance/Quality for VR and PC (Significant performance increase in most instances)

fbayersound and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  50. jjejj87

jjejj87

I am glad to hear about 1.3!

As for 2018 being in beta, I don't think it is going to drastically change from beta 10 to a full release. The issues observed now will probably be there when it is released (maybe like 2~3 weeks away at most). I say look into it now while you are still ahead in the game :D