Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

2. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Now word "soon" sounds like "never" to me waiting for rgsk 2 since december 2018 i think

Ategian likes this.
  3. Ian094

Ian094

RGSK is a big project.

It’s taken a very long time to develop and is still in development.

Lately, I’ve had to put the development of it aside to focus on other things; mainly finding work. I know I’ve been away from the forums for a while, and that’s the reason why.

As Greg-Bassett mentioned, there are other racing assets that you can use to develop racing games. Please don't let RGSK 2.0 hold you back.

I've put a lot of work and done a lot of research while developing this update. I've even gone as far as to try to reach out to developers of AAA racing games such as Need For Speed, Forza, and Gran Turismo for some insight. When I first started working on the 2.0 update, I had a vision of what I wanted the asset to be, and when I look at it now, I see that vision actualized, however, it's not quite there yet.

I apologize for how long the development of this update has taken, but RGSK 2.0 will be complete eventually and it will be a great asset for developing racing games.

derkoi, toto2003, sayos and 6 others like this.
  4. HappyNoodle

HappyNoodle

Hi mate. I’m a huge fan of this asset and am eagerly waiting for version 2. Don’t listen to the impatient ones, they don’t understand how stressful it is making such a big asset and it’s certainly a lot of work.

Please prioritise your personal life as we can all wait for you to finish v2, whenever that will be.

I wish you luck finding work, and I hope you are well.

5. R0NYS

R0NYS

Hello sir,do you have the latest video tutorials of RGSK?
    And
    Can I use Realistic car controller v3 as a external car controller?

6. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

Apologies for the late response.

There’s a playlist available with RGSK 1.1.0 tutorials.

Yes, RCC v3 is supported.

7. major123

major123

I have imported RGSK and its work fine then imported RCC V3.3 and also integrated it from integration folder. Everything is there but nothing happens. Car is still using old controls and physics. Please help me how i can change the car physics with RCC V3.3. Am using unity 2019.2.18f1. Thanks

8. ShantekDev

ShantekDev

Any updates on the new version?

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

It’s still in the works.

I will post any updates here when I am ready to do so.

I appreciate Everyone’s patience.

10. Ian094

Ian094

Please email me and I will give you detailed instructions on how to set things up.

11. karlschanzl

karlschanzl

[QUOTE = "Ian094, Beitrag: 6617305, Mitglied: 317571"] Bitte senden Sie mir eine E-Mail, und ich werde Ihnen detaillierte Anweisungen zum Einrichten geben. [/ QUOTE]
    Kann ich diese mail auch bekommen? karlschanzl@gmail.com THX

12. karlschanzl

karlschanzl

This week I finally have time to take a closer look at the beta version. I'm excited. I am a fan of the RCC and wanted to integrate it first. But that is completely unnecessary because the physics of the cars, which are created with RGSK, is simply brilliant. The perfect integration for GamePad in the InputManager is also very good. (That saves me a long and unloved job).

JamesArndt likes this.
  13. ZSX01

ZSX01

Hi
    Thanks for best racing asset. ;)

Just a little trouble:
    I use RCCv3 car and NoS is "on".
    In "Time Trial" game mode when ghost car is spawning after 1 lap, RCC HUD NoS indicator switch to ghost car.
    Help fix that please.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  14. scorpionfeast

scorpionfeast

Hi, I had sent you invoice in PM. Please Reply.

15. Track505

Track505

Any signs of life? ;)

JamesArndt likes this.
  16. Ghost_Interactive

Ghost_Interactive

hey, just a quick question... any update on v2.0, when will it release.

17. rahat090255

rahat090255

its been two years waiting for update.

ishangill and JamesArndt like this.
  18. RenegadeScooter

RenegadeScooter

What's the song you used for the demos?

19. Atzig

Atzig

Some of us have been waiting since late 2016 for v2. Maybe early 2017.

20. Ghost_Interactive

Ghost_Interactive

Mann !! how long we have to wait for v2. i am finished with the level :p only waiting for the kit. here is a sneak peek -

Ategian likes this.
  21. Atzig

Atzig

Fix your overpasses, you can see the road texture. And your using EasyRoads, add some rotation to the trees. And a better skybox than the default unity one.

Ghost_Interactive likes this.
  22. Ghost_Interactive

Ghost_Interactive

Thanks for the feedback, i will working on it.. also its a mobile game.. a skybox should be heavy for a mobile ??

23. ShantekDev

ShantekDev

This is starting to feel like its a dead project. Any signs of this update or some progress?

Ategian and derkoi like this.
  24. Felicityinc

Felicityinc

No, default unity one is expensive on mobile platforms, I read it in some forum. Use a 6 texture box sky. You'lle be better off with textured one. Works great for me.

25. Atzig

Atzig

Not really the thread to discuss it but skyboxes are perfectly fine to use on mobile devices.

26. Atzig

Atzig

A little theory I'm working on, the beta version of RGSK v2 MIGHT be able to handle shortcuts/alternate paths. In the image, the node width is just much, much wider, the yellow would be obstacles for the AI to avoid, the red line would be a trigger telling the AI to go left/right and the black and blue are just the paths. I've had some limited success with it in the last week.

Attached Files:

27. Ategian

Ategian

Is RGSK 2.0 the next "Cyberpunk 2077"?

28. sonicviz

sonicviz

I'm glad I never held my breath for this "update".

Pro tip: If you can't deliver, don't promote.

khushalkhan likes this.
  29. Ian094

Ian094

Hey Everyone,

I can assure you that the update is not dead. It may seem like it is, but it isn't.

I’ve been hard at work behind the scenes moving things forward. I haven’t shown any progress yet because I don’t want to spread any excitement too soon.

Here's a list of the things that need work before the update can be released:

UI SYSTEM - The UI is a crucial part of RGSK for me. In previous versions, setting up UI was difficult and not flexible in what/how elements are displayed. The UI works by attaching a script to a UI element and selecting what the UI element should represent and the UI system does the rest. The way it works now allows you to design your UI however you wish to.

Timers can be displayed in many different formats. See the available formats below:

time_format.png

This will come in handy when developing different kinds of racing games. A drag racing game would typically use the S_FFF (0.000) format whereas a traditional racing game would use MM_SS_FFF (00:00.000).

Driver names can be displayed in different formats too. See the most recent video on the YouTube channel for more information.

Formatting all happens through a static class so it doesn't just apply to race-environment UI texts.

There are too many formatting options for different kinds of UI to go through now so I'll leave that for when you get hands-on.

One issue I am facing at the moment is properly handing different UI screens based on the race type. For example, in a circuit race, you would want to show position, laps, etc. In a drift event, you would want to show current points, drift angle, target score points, etc. In a point-to-point, you would only want to show race percentage, positions and total time, and so on. You see this in many different games. For example, here are screenshots from GRID AUTOSPORT (2014). The first is a circuit race and the second is a drift event:

ui_1_2.png

So one of the major things I am working on right now is a good, stable, and flexible UI system.

RACE SYSTEM - The race system is pretty solid at this point. You can create your own race types using various different settings. A few have been set up by default. Here's a preview:

racetype_info.png

One key challenge I am facing at the moment is whether to stick to spline-based tracks or use checkpoints. I've thought about this for such a long time and I'm still stumped. Using a spline-based approach will restrict developers from creating open-world, or custom tracks. Using a checkpoint-based approach allows for more freedom, but I can think of a few shortcomings especially with how the AI will work. Most popular racing games use the checkpoint approach e.g. NFS, GTA V, The Crew, etc so I think that's the way to go. If you have any suggestions in regards to this, please let me know.

AI - The AI works well so far and I am happy with it. Behaviors are loaded from scriptable objects so that you can easily create and assign different kinds of behaviors to different AI.

The main thing that needs serious work is their collision avoidance. I recently played through NFS: Most Wanted (2005) and I would always try to block/break the AI to see what they would do and they would always find a way around me! I hope to get the AI in RGSK as smart as that.

WORKFLOW - This is what ties everything together so it's very important to get right. So far, the workflow is pretty straightforward. Scriptable Objects (SO) are used almost everywhere in the new update. One of the main things they are used for is global data management via a scriptable object singleton. Other key parts of workflow such as setting up a new track, scene, vehicle, etc are still a WIP but progressing well.

Setting up track data is as simple as creating a new SO and filling in the details. Setting up vehicle data is similar but requires an additional step of setting up a Manufacturer as well. Here's an example of how that looks like:

track_vehman.png

I've made some small useful tools such as a tool that creates a minimap for you. In previous RGSK versions, the preferred method was to duplicate your track mesh. This wasn't really the best approach especially if your track contained a lot of tris. Now it's been simplified using the tool below:

tool_1.PNG

And so many other areas regarding how you work with RGSK have really been improved.

DOCUMENTATION - This goes without saying. It has to be very in-depth considering how big this update is.

Again, I assure everyone here that I have not given up on the development of this update. Please do not think that RGSK 2.0 is dead just because I've been quiet.

If you have any suggestions or questions on what I've written above, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks for reading.

30. magique

magique

@Ian094 I'm playing around with the current store version on Unity 2019.4.20f1 and I get the following compiler error:

Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\Path_Creator_Editor.cs(117,17): error CS1061: 'WaypointCircuit' does not contain a definition for 'AddWaypointsFromChildren' and no accessible extension method 'AddWaypointsFromChildren' accepting a first argument of type 'WaypointCircuit' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

It looks like this function is completely missing in this version. Is there a patch for this?

[EDIT]
    I figured it out. Apparently, if you also have the Race Track Generator asset it also contains a script called WaypointCircuit. So, it's simply a matter of having proper namespaces.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Ian094 likes this.
  31. Ian094

Ian094

Perfect. Thanks.

32. Ian094

Ian094

I really doubt that. I'm working hard to ensure RGSK 2.0 wont have half as many bugs haha

Track505 likes this.
  33. Ian094

Ian094

I've put a lot of thought into multiple routes for the AI and the only thing I can think of is to make a spline that supports branching. When the AI gets to the node before a branch, it will pick a branch and follow it until it merges back.

EDIT: Alternatively, make each "branch" its own route. Each route node would have a list of available branches and upon reaching the node, the AI would pick one. A line gizmo would be used to visualize a route node's available branches.

For this approach to work, the race system would have to be checkpoint-based and not rely on the spline. I went through this a few posts up:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  34. ShantekDev

ShantekDev

Good to see some life here. Hopefully we can see more info soon

Track505 and Ian094 like this.
  35. thestringer

thestringer

Do we have any timeframe for version 2, week/month/year?
    maybe an Alpha/beta release or even some video's?

36. wilxr

wilxr

My wait started in 2015, it's an excellent project, but I think it's time to quit, it's dead

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  37. ShantekDev

ShantekDev

Anything new to report? It's been a while since we've had any updates

38. Wolfos

Wolfos

Does anyone know if this asset works with recent versions of Unity?

39. HappyNoodle

HappyNoodle

Looking good mate

40. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

the wait continues

derkoi likes this.
  41. holo69

holo69

could it be possible to create a championship mode in 2.0?

42. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

Championship mode is not a planned feature for the initial release, but it will certainly come shortly afterwards.

43. Ian094

Ian094

and I appreciate your and everyone elses' patience.

44. Ian094

Ian094

The latest version tested is 2019.4 but it should work the same with 2020.x.

45. Ian094

Ian094

I would personally recommend holding back until the 2.0 release.

46. derkoi

derkoi

I & many others have been doing that for years. No offence.

wolfy22, khushalkhan and JamesArndt like this.
  47. holo69

holo69

Thanx for the fast reply

48. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

Can I buy it or this update will delay for more 2 or 3 years?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    khushalkhan likes this.
  49. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

Well, I had no answer, I understand this update may never come, but I bought it anyway. It's incredible the lack of good racing AI on Unity's Asset Store. Since I've tried every (updated) one with no luck, I'll give it a try.

50. Gametyme

Gametyme

How was it?