Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

I have sent you a PM with a replacement script that should resolve the issue. The errors are due to referencing deprecated components.

The development of the 2.0 update has taken a lot longer than expected and I have not kept v1.1.0 up-to-date with the latest Unity versions.

I will have to update v1.1.0 to work with Unity 2019.x at this point.

marcell123455 and JamesArndt like this.
  2. Aquablue

Aquablue

Hi Ian094,

I also have the errors in Unity 2019.3.0f3 due to the RGSK_Editor script which is using the deprecated GUILayer class in the "CreateRaceCameras" method.

It will be very helpful to get the fix as I'm actually blocked.

3. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I can't seem to send you a PM so I will leave the fix attached to this post.

Replace RGSK_Editor.cs located in the "RacingGameStarterKit/Editor" folder with the one attached.

Attached Files:

4. Aquablue

Aquablue

Thank you Ian094 :)

5. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

I'm having this issue in unity 2019 17f1

Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\Path_Creator_Editor.cs(117,17): error CS1061: 'WaypointCircuit' does not contain a definition for 'AddWaypointsFromChildren' and no accessible extension method 'AddWaypointsFromChildren' accepting a first argument of type 'WaypointCircuit' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

6. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Please try to re-import the asset.

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

So looking at the Asset Store listing this asset hasn't been updated since 2016? None of those known issues/bugs/performance improvements dealt with for the last 3 years? What happens if we test against Unity 2019 or 2020 at this point?

NeoUnity and derkoi like this.
  8. Ian094

Ian094

From what I know, v1 has compilation errors with Unity 2019.3 regarding the GUILayer component.

Seeing that I probably wont be able to release v2 soon enough, I will have to submit an update to v1 that resolves this issue for people using 2019.3 or higher.

9. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

The biggest problem so far for me is the drifting it forces you to steer out of control & doesn't let you just drive & make some turns, & it feels like you get pulled towards the wall when you are driving but other than that amazing

10. rickytsmith

rickytsmith

The beta version that I have tried is stable and works really well. Apart from the node distance issue which prevents the track from having a cross over bridge and a couple of drivers very occasionally falling through the level.
    Both bugs should be possible to track down - haven't noticed any more . The new race panel is really nice. I am adapting the menu scene from version 1 to work with it - just a few more issues to resolve. I really like the new Championship system as well. There is more than enough there to build a good racing game and if you can do a bit of code you can adapt some of what's missing in terms of menus and customization from the current released version.
    Well done to the dev !!! Excellent work.

11. fdameronut

fdameronut

Is anyone else having issues using the game controller for UI navigation when using this asset?

12. Ian094

Ian094

The vehicle physics will be re-written from scratch.

I am aiming to provide vehicle physics that are easy to use and feel good. Drifting is one of the funner things to do so I would like to ensure that the drifting handling mode is easy to pick up and control.

I have scrapped all the vehicle physics code I had written in the past. I am currently working with EVP for development. Vehicle physics are a big topic and they can sometimes get in the way. With a 3rd party physics, I can focus on the important bits then focus on writing the vehicle physics when everything else is in order.

13. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks for your support.

The AI set their target to the closest point on the track based on the 2 closest nodes so this causes issues with cross-over areas. A quick fix for this would be to move the nodes under the bridge closer to each other. Another distance-related bug in the beta version occurs when entering a new lap (crossing the track’s loop point). This bug has been resolved.

The championship system was rushed and will not see a return until after the release of the initial 2.0 version. I’ve decided to put my focus on the main things and then focus on other features after the release. It’s important for me to get this update released and I don’t want to spend any more time than is needed.

The UI is a big part that has changed. I am still working on this area, but it has been revamped and is more performant. Also, the new UI system will use Text Mesh Pro by default.

Thanks again!

14. Ian094

Ian094

UI navigation should work just fine. Check the StandaloneInputModule in the "EventSystem" gameObject and ensure all the inputs there match up. Also consider visualizing the navigation in your UI elements to see if it is as it should be.

Another thing to mention in addition to the above post is that I have been using the new input system, so expect to see it used in the update too.

15. forzaerdal

forzaerdal

Hi, How can i make my car sliding around corners? which part of the physics i should change?

16. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

In v1, reduce the "Traction" value in the Car Controller component.

If you are using the current beta version, set the handling mode to "Drift" in the Vehicle Controller component.

17. sonicviz

sonicviz

Any progress on release date?

JamesArndt likes this.
  18. forzaerdal

forzaerdal

Hi,
    I am making a dirt racing game. what should i do to improve dirt feeling while handling..
    Car goes on dirt like its on asphalt..

19. siumanchun

siumanchun

Hi !
    Please Add Select Three transmission types: Automatic, Automatic Sequential and Manual And Manual transmission supports both sequential and H-pattern shifting !
    Ťhank You !

20. siumanchun

siumanchun

21. Ian094

Ian094

Apologies for being away from the forums for so long.

I’m still actively working on the update, don't think I have given up or put it aside. I'm mainly working on figuring out some code-related issues. To elaborate on this, I want to create a good foundation for this update so that future updates wont break or drastically change existing code. I'm going for a modular approach and avoiding monolithic classes to achieve this.

I will update Everyone soon. Please bear with me.

22. Ian094

Ian094

The vehicle physics in v1 cant really achieve this feeling - the “traction” value is all there is to tweak the handling of the vehicle. In v2, there is a surface manager where different surfaces can be assigned different grip values.

23. Ian094

Ian094

This is all in the plan.

The vehicle physics will support automatic and manual transmission. I might add a semi-automatic option for when you want to use automatic but also be able to shift the gears yourself.

As for H-pattern, I do not own one of those so I wouldn't be able to test it, but I believe it's just a matter of setting up the input buttons then shifting to the appropriate gear when the input is performed. I do own a wheel & pedals and would like to support that out of the box. I am unsure if the new input system supports it though...
    Please send me a PM with your invoice number.

JamesArndt likes this.
  24. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi, I'm using 2.0 and I have two questions:

- In 'point to point' races if I skip a 'sector' trigger I have the same result after end a race, I could skip every trigger and end first ilegally, it's ok or I missed something? I could charge the finish time with some extra seconds

- The scripts for championship are usable? I saw 2 of them, I have to make a championship manager and load this script in the menu? (with don't destroy on load) and loading the profile of the championship? just this?

25. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

1) The sector triggers can be skipped with no problems. The purpose of a sector trigger is to store your best time on that given track sector and determine whether you are faster or slower at that sector on the next lap(s).

There has been some improvements to the sector system. These changes are minor but better help to better manage the sector times making it possible to easily get the competitor with the fastest time at a given sector. This may not be a requirement in your game, but one idea behind the 2.0 update is to provide a lot of features and let the developer choose which ones work for their game. For example, when passing a sector, it is possible to have the UI display the gap from the competitor ahead/behind. It's also possible to have the race standings UI display the gap in realtime as seen in many racing games today. It wouldn't make much sense to use both of these features concurrently, but they are available, and your game's requirements will dictate whether or not to use them. I am trying to carry this idea to all systems in the 2.0 update so that there is no forced "single way" of doing things.

2) The championship system in the beta version is a prototype and shouldn't really be used. As I previously mentioned:

26. facundogalella

facundogalella

Thank you for the answer. So, I think I'll manage both topics by myself. I'd like to wait a future release but I have a lor of free time right now and probably update to a future status of the asset could break many things of current game.

27. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi again,

I think I found a bug or something that not should be happen, IA cars collide with triggers before than player because they are doing it with front sensor. Any solution? doesn't sound hard to fix it I think.

Here a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/K7QiPWsFzXPRFjLC9

28. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

To fix this, set the layer of the sensor trigger to “Sensor”.

The layer collision matrix should already be set up in a way that the “Sensor” and trigger layers ignore each other.

29. facundogalella

facundogalella

It's strange because this layer has this name due I copied your IA to make this. And sector has 'IgnoreRaycast'. Anyway I checked your demo in my project and is happening the same.

30. Ian094

Ian094

Hmm,

I guess the layer collision matrix isn't setup correctly.

In the layer collision matrix, uncheck "Sensor/IgnoreRaycast".

31. facundogalella

facundogalella

You're right, now is working well, thanks!

32. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Hello! I don't know if RCSK works in the latest version(2019.3).

Also, I have questions:
    How do I implement Level/XP feature just like credits feature?
    How do I implement custom car colur feature like color slider, not just limited to a particular color?
    How do I remove braking stats and put my own car stats instead?
    Will Free Roam Open Worlds be compatible in version 2.0?
    Will you implement NWH Vehicle Physics, VPP, and Photon Pun 2 in the future?
    In Version 1 of RGSK, is your main menu controller mandatory for me to use, or do I just put it in the race scene?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  33. danish115

danish115

i am using this asset i have a problem with ik points. Basically i am working on Bike physics, i have animations to implement. Biker perfectly sit and steer his hands with handle as well. Problem when the bike turn, the biker animation is not playing. I have made an other layer and same mask avatar and make blend tree in it. But all in vain cant understand what to do with it. Any help regarding this ?

34. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I responded to your email about this.

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Do the animations play properly when you uncheck “Enable IK” in the inspector?

Are the rig and animations set to Humanoid?

36. danish115

danish115

i have done it thanks for replying

37. Sanam-Baig

Sanam-Baig

I am using unity 2019.3.13f1. I imported the racing game starter kit its work fine then I import Realistic Car Controller v3.3 then I import RealisticCarController form integration folder form racing game starter kit. everything is there but nothing happens there are same old car physics how can I change the car physics with Realistic Car Controller v3.3.
    Please help me
    Thanks

38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I responded to your email about this.

39. jouany

jouany

Hello

I upgraded my project from Unity 2018 to Unity 2019.3.11f1 to add new new function that need this version. I had several errors in console. Some were resolved with replacing RGSKEditor.cs available in this thread. Error with Depreciated "GUItexture" in Forcereset.cs, I just comment the line. Don't know if this will work not knowing when "Forcereset.cs" is called. I still have Depreciated "GUItext" error in SimpleActivatorMenu.cs.
    I found on Reddit I could add "using unityengine.UI;" then replace "GUItext" with "Text"
    Then now I have those errors:
    UnassignedReferenceException: The variable pathContainer of RaceManager has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the pathContainer variable of the RaceManager script in the inspector.

As I am not developper I thought you could maybe indicate me a way to solve those errors ?
    Thank you

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  40. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

Do you have any other assets imported? Forcereset.cs & SimpleActivatorMenu.cs are not part of RGSK v1.1.0.

As for the Race Manager error regarding ‘pathContainer’, you will need to assign a reference to the path in the ‘Path Container’ variable slot in the Race Manager’s inspector.

The documentation goes through this step on page 11.

41. jouany

jouany

Thank you for your reply and you are right, error was coming from Realistic Car Controler asset. I have imported RGSK in a new 2019 project, with only Easyroads asset and it works.
    I have seen it was possible to test RGSK V2 beta. Could you send me the link ?

42. Ian094

Ian094

Sure, send me a PM with your invoice number and I will send you a link.

It’s worth noting that the beta is quite dated at this point and that the 2.0 release will be significantly different.

I’ll be sure to give Everyone a walkthrough on the update i.e. changes, improvements, systems, etc when ready.

43. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

Hi,
    unity 2019.3.3f1
    error:( Screenshot_115.png

44. Ian094

Ian094

45. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

46. jouany

jouany

Thank You Ian094.
    I have sent you my PN.
    I have another question. Is there a way to start a race at point A, and finish point B (not looped racing track) ?
    Even if you set 1 turn, it seems only to work if finishing point is at start point.
    Or maybe that's a Beta 2 option ?

47. Ian094

Ian094

Point to point races are not supported in v1.1.0.

They are supported in the 2.0 beta and will also be supported in the 2.0 release.

48. rahul4

rahul4

How to set PlayerPref value to 1

49. Ian094

Ian094

I believe you are referring to the reward system in v1.1.0.

I responded to your email regarding this.

50. simdan000

simdan000

Sorry, I'm a beginner, but how do you add more race tracks or more cars?

Will it also be okay if I make my game public on google play if possible?