Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

One way to achieve this is by limiting the velocity of the rigidbody once the race is finished.

Create a new script and attach it to the vehicle prefabs:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public float speed; //The speed limit (in KPH)
    2. private Statistics statistics;
    3. private Rigidbody rigid;
    5. void Start()
    6. {
    7.     statistics = GetComponent<Statistics>();
    8.     rigid = GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    9. }
    11. void FixedUpdate()
    12. {
    13.     if(statistics.finishedRace)
    14.     {
    15.         rigid.velocity = (speed / 3.6f) * rigid.velocity.normalized;
    16.     }
    17. }

2. Tzach10

Tzach10

thank you :)

3. marcell123455

marcell123455

May is almost over sooooo, what's the current state ^^ ?

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I was just going to ask about this. So we should be looking at a V2 release very soon by this point?

5. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

The development of v2.0 is currently on hold.

I will post any updates when I am ready to do so.

Thanks.

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Such things do happen, is there a possibility you make a new beta available though? This would be a great help for me and others as I can code myself the most essential parts needed for my game using your code as framework/baseline. Thanks for considering!

7. Emile97

Emile97

Same here.... Been waiting for too long already

JamesArndt likes this.
  8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Agreed. I think it would be very helpful to get access to the latest beta package file and be able to work with what's already done and there. Is anything broken in the beta that it could not be used today?

9. Emile97

Emile97

We can try fixing some bugs by ourselves. Just publish that unfinished beta please. It will help a lot, especially for us who have been waiting since Feb 2018

10. magique

magique

I really love the Racing Game Starter Kit, but if anyone here is waiting for it to be done soon, you should consider moving on. At least until it's actually released. I was developing a game on the released version a while back and had some conversations with the author. Here is what he told me in a PM on Jan 6,2017:

"I'm still working on v2.0 and can't quite release a beta just yet. I'm confident that I'll be able to release a beta (and/or submit to the asset store) within the next couple of days. I have a few more features to work on and test before this version can be ready." (emphasis added)

That was two and a half years ago. Just let that sink in.

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

At this point V2 should most likely be considered abandoned. It's pretty much been declared to be indefinitely on hold. I really feel like revisiting V1, improving it's performance, doing bugfixes to it would have been the best approach. It would have given us a more robust and proven tool for a racing game template. It's not bad as is, just needs some loving and improvement and it would be absolutely stellar!

marcell123455 and Emile97 like this.
  12. unity_tjljrKMkyOuiQA

unity_tjljrKMkyOuiQA

Hello! Is it possible to change ingame text?
    I want to translate some words (lap, position, etc.) in russian

13. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for being so inactive on the forums lately.

The beta version that I have been working on is in a bad state and cannot be released as is. The latest beta release was in May 2018 - there were several missing features and a few bugs with that release (mainly an issue regarding how distance along the spline is calculated).

Developing v2.0 has caused quite a lot of pressure and anxiety in me, which has affected its development in an unpleasant way. I feel that I need to put my focus on other projects for a while in-order to grow as a developer and be able deliver a better update. This is why I've put development on hold.

The 2.0 update is not abandoned, we just wont see it as soon as we would all wish to.

Thanks.

HakJak likes this.
  14. Ian094

Ian094

15. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

It is a shame, of course but "stuff" happens. It is better to know than to wait for a release that is "about" to happen. Personally, I will go back and look and see if I can squeeze enough out of Beta2 for a decent release - at least on itch.io.

JamesArndt likes this.
  16. facundogalella

facundogalella

I already started to use the beta a couple of weeks ago. As are point to point races I haven't troubles with the most famous bug.

Anyway I have a question: I would like 'attach' a ai car prefab with a ai name. IE, I would like that the car called 'lexus' always be used by the IA driver called 'Ryan': I can't found the way to do it at the moment with the beta, without code it by myself.

And if the player choose this car, I don't like to see the IA called 'Ryan' racing (like in the real life, just one car of each prefab).

If anyone made something like this can you give me an idea perhaps? thanks!

17. Ian094

Ian094

If I understand correctly, then this post should help:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/v2-...eate-racing-games.337366/page-35#post-3578422

18. facundogalella

facundogalella

19. ZSX01

ZSX01

Hi all
    I need add RCC drift support and correct RCCControllerV3.cs as indicated in the documentation. (RCC3.1f version)
    What could be the problem?

Attached Files:

20. Ian094

Ian094

Add the RGSK namespace to the script.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using RGSK;

21. ZSX01

ZSX01

Thanks for the help, all working ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  22. facundogalella

facundogalella

23. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, is that the version you were referring to?

24. Ian094

Ian094

PM me the script and I will fix it for you.

25. facundogalella

facundogalella

Yes, but I don't found this parts. I find a scriptable called 'AI details', I can load in AI settings tab, but the drivers of this scriptable are randomly mixed with the AI vehicle prefabs of the scene

26. Ian094

Ian094

You must be using the older version of the beta (first release).

Check your PMs for an update.

27. facundogalella

facundogalella

That's right. Now I understand why the other users of the asset are having a different UI...

Is strange because I remember been tried the latest release, but seems that I removed from my PC.

I updated my game with the new asset, I'll try to adapt the menu of first release (I don't know if someone try to make this previously), but the menu of first release looks nice for me.

Anyway, the problem of the names and other minor bugs were fixed.

Ian094 likes this.
  28. mohammadaliaslam820

mohammadaliaslam820

Hey I need help i add Edy car physics but after adding that my Mobile controler not Working how can i configure Mobile controllerr using Edy Intergration..

29. Ian094

Ian094

The mobile integration was never included in v1.1.0. However, it is available.

30. Emile97

Emile97

Eu... About the current version of of rgsk (the one on the asset store) how easy s it to extract only the ai? Like is your ai script dependent on many other elements or just connects to the physics?
    is there some dependancies I need to be aware of before starting?

31. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The AI are heavily coupled to the race system in v1.1.0, so extracting only the AI isn't something that would just work unfortunately.

32. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi!, I was wondering if not exist a sort of template of menus for beta 2, at least something basic with the most important of the code (obviously, if could be will something like the menu of 2.0 beta 1 would be great).

I read some tips to do it in previous pages but I'm not a programmer and this will take a bit of time for me, especially the post-race menu. The pre-menu race I think I could do it fighting a bit.

Track505 likes this.
  33. marcell123455

marcell123455

@lan094

Hi, just wanted to ask again what's the current state. What's the state of the ai and racing types.
    No pressure, I'm just interested :)

Thanks

34. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The AI system is being rewritten. I'm trying to avoid the design flaws of the previous one, while making it much better than before. Their current state is a bit rough, but I'm on the right track.

The race types are stored as scriptable objects and loaded at runtime - they are not hard coded like before. This makes it easier to create custom race types on top of the ones that come out of the box:

- Circuit
    - Lap KO
    - Point to Point
    - Checkpoint
    - Speed Trap
    - Elimination
    - Endurance
    - Drift
    - Drag
    - Time Attack
    - Time Trial

The overall status of the update is still very much a work in progress.

marcell123455 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  35. matidzeramz

matidzeramz

how about posting a showcase of the wip?

36. Ian094

Ian094

I'll be sure to post a showcase of what I have been working on.

Stay tuned.

37. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    I'm interested in this kit for prototyping.

If I buy it can I get the beta (no matter what state it's in) to check out?

Ty.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in RGSK.

You can get access to the latest "stable" beta version. What I am working on currently is not necessarily in a functional state and wont be available until it is.

JamesArndt likes this.
  39. sonicviz

sonicviz

OK, thanks. I'll pass then, but will keep an eye on it.
    If anything I'd suggest keeping it modular and not locked to any demo content you create, as is the problem with some other kits.

40. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

@Ian094 : Try to enter your site and it's said:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. This site can’t be reached

41. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, the site has been down for a while. I'll work on getting it back up soon.

If you would like access to the beta, send me a PM.

Thanks.

42. ThePedestrian

ThePedestrian

Hi,
    Can you please provide a link to assets cars that can be purchased that are compatible with RGSK? The 3D Autosports asset is unavailable.
    Thanks!

43. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Any car model can work with RGSK provided that the wheel meshes are separated.

44. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

Can you build mobile Android APK demo file for newest please? I need to test it on mobile, thank you!
    And how long the stable 2.0 version can be update? I'm very interested about it to purchase.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    JamesArndt likes this.
  45. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

If this can happen, I'd like a new APK build with the latest updates/bugfixes to test.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  46. facundogalella

facundogalella

Well, I could ask for a Windows demo too if is possible

JamesArndt likes this.
  47. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I have been reiterating on a lot of the systems lately so the update still isn't in a state where I can make a build (everything is all over the place right now). When everything is in order, I will release a small public test build (Android & PC) for everyone to try out the new features, updates and such.

The performance on mobile in 2.0 will be good. I'm aiming to make every part of the system performant in order to make this possible. Most of the support I give goes towards developers targeting mobile platforms so this is quite important to me. I'd say the performance on mobile is already good (even in the latest beta release), but I haven't done enough testing to assure that.

A lot of the bugs present in the latest beta release have been fixed and a number of design flaws have been corrected.

There's no ETA for the release, but in terms of progress I am about 60% done with everything needed to release the initial 2.0 update. I'm excited to share my progress and will post a dev log here going through everything I have been working on in detail.

Thanks for your support!

GLID3R82, matidzeramz and toto2003 like this.
  48. fdameronut

fdameronut

Right now I'd just like help with these issues;
    Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\RGSK_Editor.cs(145,32): error CS0619: 'GUILayer' is obsolete: 'GUILayer has been removed.'
    Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\RGSK_Editor.cs(145,19): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUILayer' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'GameObject.AddComponent<T>()'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUILayer' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.
    Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\RGSK_Editor.cs(153,28): error CS0619: 'GUILayer' is obsolete: 'GUILayer has been removed.'
    Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\RGSK_Editor.cs(153,15): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUILayer' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'GameObject.AddComponent<T>()'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUILayer' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.
    Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\RGSK_Editor.cs(161,35): error CS0619: 'GUILayer' is obsolete: 'GUILayer has been removed.'
    Assets\RacingGameStarterKit\Editor\RGSK_Editor.cs(161,22): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUILayer' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'GameObject.AddComponent<T>()'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUILayer' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.
    A tree couldn't be loaded because the prefab is missing.
    Thanks.

49. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

What version of Unity are you using?

50. fdameronut

fdameronut

2019.3.0f3.