Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

This bug has been fixed by the new track configuration method I mentioned a few posts above so unfortunately its more complex than just copy/pasting code. We will have to bear with this bug until the next release.

The bug mainly happens under these conditions:
    1. Starting points too close to the first node
    2. First node not ahead of finish line
    3. Last node not behind the finish line

Thanks!

2. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Yes! Multiplayer! Very cool.

Ian094 likes this.
  3. Emile97

Emile97

The multi-player part.. You said that you'l b us the new unity integration... I don' tthink that this will be compatible with unity 2017.4... Am I wrong??

4. Ian094

Ian094

I think we'll be looking at 2018.x and higher, there's not much information out just yet.

I was going to mention that RGSK 2.0 will not support 2017.x. My main reasoning is that 2017.x lacks the Package Manager, so it wouldn't be possible to install Cinemachine to the project.

On top of that, 2018.x is awesome, we'll be getting the new prefab workflows once 2018.3 hits stable (currently in beta). I'm super excited for that! :)

AOEIII150 likes this.
  5. Emile97

Emile97

Oulala... Ok ok sounds like I will have to upgrade then..

6. derkoi

derkoi

Really don't know what to do. I've held off for as long as possible with my racing games.

Not sure if I should keep waiting for this release, use the beta or use the version on the asset store. :confused:

7. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

I wouldn't use the beta. The distance bug makes it not ready for production. The beta is, however, much better in many other ways than the Asset Store asset. I think we are stuck waiting. If the next beta is as much a step up as the last beta, however, I think it would be definitely worth waiting for. However, are we even legally able to use a beta? My understanding was that it was only licensed for testing purposes.

8. derkoi

derkoi

I see what you mean. I don't think I'd be ready to release the game before the final version is out but who knows.

9. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

So the new requirement is Unity version 2018.x or is 2018.2 or higher?

10. scorpionfeast

scorpionfeast

So will there Be a price difference in RGSK or RGSK2, or will RGSK2 will just the update of it... In Short should I bbuy it now or wait?

11. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Ian094, magique and user099 like this.
  12. derkoi

derkoi

All those cars, brands and tracks that you're blatantly using without a licence is illegal.

d1favero likes this.
  13. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Love the game. I must say I have to agree with derkoi with regard to the branding.

I found myself in the same position with my first racing game when I purchased I Nissan GTR from a 3d site when my game was released I received and email and letter from Nissan Brand officer informing me of my error and giving me the option to apply for rights to use their brand or replace the model. If I didn't they would would take action.
    I chose to replace the model after looking up branding costs.

the model I replaced it with was from here
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/land/gr3d-super-car-011314sspc-14457

I also used F1 style cars in the game from here
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/land/vehicle-pack-03-lite-by-herevr-52115

The thing that amazed me is that I am a very small Dev and the game had only sold 600 copies at £1.49 each not sure how they found the game ........

Regards
    Mark

14. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Not sure if he is going to get sued by "Malborr" or "Rhtmanns" ;)

But then again, I am not a lawyer....

15. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

We are not wearing any team logo, nor a sponsor of a drink and a cigarette. And also no F1 official logo. Thanks for listening.

16. derkoi

derkoi

No but he could be sued by Williams, Renault, Canon, Elf, Labatts, Goodyear etc etc.

hippocoder likes this.
  17. derkoi

derkoi

The screenshots in your game are covered in logos for various brands!

18. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

But why would it involve so much? If we are doing brand marketing for free

19. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

It's all about Brand control making sure that the logos are the right colours and are in aspect also not mixing with rivals. most companies including mine have a brand and logo guidelines which state the font, size border, background colour etc..

On top of that the big game companies paid millions for the rights and therefore don't like smaller games using branding.

have a look a the link below for the current guidelines for F1
    https://www.formula1.com/en/toolbar/guidelines.html

Hope this helps

regards

Mark

derkoi likes this.
  20. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Thanks!

21. magique

magique

It should never be about whether you will get caught for your crime, but what is the right thing to do. Do you obey the law only when you know you might get caught not obeying it? But, yeah, the whole F1 thing is a legal nightmare. Just the use of F1 is prohibited.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  22. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

You mean sued by "Renaaut","Conan", "Eff", "Labatta" and "Good Yeaa"? Don't know, not a lawyer but I doubt it.

23. JormaRysky

JormaRysky

Are there any plans for supporting NWH vehicle physics?

24. derkoi

derkoi

Lay off the drugs pal. If you were sober you'd clearly see that's not what it says.

25. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Hello guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone of you have successfully integrated RGSK v1 with RCC i.e Realistic Car Controller. One of my games is using older RGSK and I want to use RCC Car for the next update.

Any pointers would be really helpful as I am unable to do it.

26. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for being so quiet on the forums for the past week, I've been in the process of moving out. For those of you who have ever moved out before, I believe you understand how time consuming it can be.

I have some very bad news for everyone, earlier today, soda accidentally spilled all over my laptop keyboard. I watched my laptop die in front me when it happened. All the RGSK 2.0 code along with many other projects I have/had been working on are on the hard disk.

My laptop currently wont turn on. I've been up and about today trying to find a HP store to fix it but being a Sunday, no stores are open. I'm sad at this moment in my life but I'm confident I can get it fixed this week and get everything back on track as soon as possible.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. I had no control over this, I guess it's just one of those things that life throws at you to either piss you off or turn things around somehow.

My main priority has switched from developing RGSK 2.0 to trying to recover what I have built over the months (last backup being about a month ago).

I'll try to read and respond to all posts as soon as I can.

Thanks for reading and please wish me the best!

27. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Don't worry Man! Bad things happen with everyone. You have lost your work but don't let it affect your confidence. You will regain all of it with your hard work. I am sure all the developers especially Indies have faced this issue. I had also my share of damages because of these unforeseen accidents.

All will be well soon.

Wishing you loads of good luck:)

Ian094 and Emile97 like this.
  28. Emile97

Emile97

Same here... Me it was last year and it was chocolate milk....

Ian094 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  29. derkoi

derkoi

Wow. You should use Version Control and commit it multiple times a day! Hope you can get everything sorted soon.

Ian094 and hippocoder like this.
  30. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Diet soda? Diet soda is the drink of developers because if you dump it on your keyboard, you can usually just dry it out. Orange juice? Regular Cola? You are screwed! Well not really screwed, but you will need a new keyboard at a minimum. Your hard drive should be fine unless something really funky happened. You can probably just pull it and then get an adapter to make it so you can hook it up to a usb on another machine.

31. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

Good news, I managed to recover my hard drive so no data has been lost.

Bad news, the laptop needs some serious repair. It's a shame that soda does so much damage :(

Again, I will respond to PMs and posts soon.

Thanks!

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  32. Ian094

Ian094

It was Sprite - my favorite soda.

The hard drive is 100% okay but the motherboard is looking pretty bad.

I'll keep everyone updated on this issue.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  33. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, I understand it's taken a very long time to develop 2.0 but we'll definitely get there and I believe it will be well worth the wait.

As @jaberwocky says, the beta version is not production ready due to the bugs and missing features. I usually recommend using the beta to sort of prototype your game and give feedback on areas that you feel need improvement or just feedback in general (all feedback (good or bad) is good). The asset store version is stable but quite dated (I would actually say the beta is far better than the asset store version (1.1.0a).

Yes, you are able to legally publish games using the beta version, though not recommended because its still in development.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  34. Ian094

Ian094

We'll probably be looking at 2018.3 for the final release but that really depends on how soon RGSK 2.0 will be ready.

The new prefab workflows in 2018.3 are greatly going to affect how we will work with prefabs. Workflow in RGSK and in general will be far much better.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  35. Ian094

Ian094

RGSK 2.0 will be an update, so if you own it now, you will get the 2.0 update for free.

The new price of RGSK will be around $80 when the 2.0 update is released.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  36. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, NWH will be supported somewhere down the line for sure.

I plan to support as many vehicle physics assets as I can to give developers a wide range of vehicle physics to choose from.

facundogalella and AbhishekRaj like this.
  37. Ian094

Ian094

RCC should be working fine in 1.1.0a.

Let me know what issues you are facing and I will do my best to help.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  38. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

On the fence buying the kit from the asset store. Some questions though: I played all demo's available and was wondering 2 things:
    - is it possible to setup a route trip race for instance a sprint from town a to town b (non circuit layout)?
    - Is there a possibility to check the manual before I'm buying? Edit: Found it!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  39. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the kit.

It is possible to set up point to point races in the 2.0 beta version but not possible in the current version on the asset store (v1.1.0).

Point to point races will be available in the 2.0 release.

40. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Are point to point races already available in the beta or still planned in for development?

41. Ian094

Ian094

They are already available.

42. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Final question before buying: is Edy's Vehicle Physics supported in the 2.0 beta?

d1favero likes this.
  43. Ian094

Ian094

No, EVP is not supported in the beta.

EVP and many other vehicle physics will be supported in the final release though.

d1favero likes this.
  44. Emile97

Emile97

I have a question about the multi-player features. As we are all aware, unity is going to partner with Google for online gaming . But what I couldn't get is " what will be the baas? Firebase?" if it is not the case what will your asset support as a baas? Or it won't support baas and we will have to include it ourselves? And if we have to include it by ourselves what baas would you recommend? Thank you. ( I'm sorry if my question is weird but I couldn't find a proper way to formulate it)

45. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

I have to say that even with non supported physics packages it wasn't hard to integrate.

d1favero, derkoi and Ian094 like this.
  46. Ian094

Ian094

Hmmm, I'm not sure.

I'll have to get back to you when I have more knowledge on the new multiplayer features and how they will work.

Emile97 likes this.
  47. derkoi

derkoi

Been using the version from the asset store and the order of the finished race is always screwed up. 1st place has the longest time etc, it's weird.

Think i might just take my chances with the beta

48. Ian094

Ian094

The current beta version is definitely better than the version from the asset store despite the bugs and the fact that it is not feature complete or fully optimized.

I've been holding back from updating on the asset store because I really don't want to release a beta version on the asset store, I want to completely finish v2.0 first.

At the moment, RGSK 2.0 development has been put on hold because of that unfortunate incident I had with my laptop. My laptop is still being repaired and I am waiting for feedback. I have a spare laptop that I am using now but it's not that good - it has an Intel HD graphics card that barely manages to run Unity smoothly.

Once I get this issue sorted, I'll be able to get back on track and give everyone a development update.

Thanks!

d1favero, AbhishekRaj and derkoi like this.
  49. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Set up a gofundme for a new laptop from all the people waiting for RGSK! If everyone who posted complaining about how long it is taking gave $1, you would have a nice laptop ;)

Ian094 likes this.
  50. Ian094

Ian094

Good idea. I'll consider this.

First, let's see what the repair guys say then I will probably set one up.