Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah I was one of the people who had come up with a good physics solution for WheelColliders between 4.xx and 5.xx so I shouldn't have a problem dealing with the PhysX issues. From the code side it should be pretty similar right? Plus I would be using a separate raycast type of wheel system for the vehicle physics. You had sent me a modified package some time back with support for these same custom raycast physics and they worked well.

2. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I believe so.

Hopefully no compile errors.

JamesArndt likes this.
  3. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I was using RVP until it stopped being actively developed, and then I switched to RCC, which I have found to be an excellent substitute, it has nice drift physics as well if your looking for that type of driving behaviour.

What I liked best about RVP was the damage, a combination of breakaway parts and mesh deformation, really cool!

4. Emile97

Emile97

Oww ok ok I see, thank you.
    Initially, I wanted to have similar physic as Mario Kart and while making my researches, I had found RGSK. After reading the description and the first 15 pages on this thread I changed my mind. Now what I want is something "semi-realistic" for the drift and a lot of speed. So I'll wait for the final release then I'll spend some time tweaking and testing till I get exactly what I want and if I have any issue I'll be asking for help here :p
    Thanks for answering me though

5. Emile97

Emile97

Nice; thank you :)

6. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Hi guys,

Here in the link of our F1 project already available in googleplay, was still developed with 1.0. It's still a beta, and with that, it will have flaws, but we're fixing for next update soon. And we are also waiting for 2.0, for further improvement.

Thanks to the developer for the help with this project.

Hug

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SPP

Ian094 likes this.
  7. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Firstly, congratulations for releasing your game.
    At the risk of going OT, I would like to suggest you a few things which I have came across while browsing through your Google Play listing.

1. Try to optimise your game's titles and keywords. It greatly affects your visibility across Google Play Store.

2. Improve the quality and quantity of screenshots and if possible, hire a good graphic artist.

Wishing you lots of success.

8. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Thanks for the support, hug.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  9. mitis

mitis

Hello what the Physic &&&

10. Emile97

Emile97

did you read his past comment ? v2.0 final beta will be released sometime this week . and if everything goes well he will be submitting the final version to the asset store for review

Track505 and JamesArndt like this.
  11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah okay, yeah I didn't see that! Thanks for the info, this is really great news to hear. Curious to hear from @Intense_Gamer94 if he thinks this is still the case. It's Thursday now, so figuring it might be accessible to us by tomorrow?

12. Emile97

Emile97

I Hope so

Track505 and JamesArndt like this.
  13. mitis

mitis

Hello everyone, I have a question if I buy this asset and I can get the beta version I wrote to the author today but he does not answer

JamesArndt likes this.
  14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes normally he would deliver it to you in a private message (before it officially hits the Asset Store). I think he might be holding off on his response, because he has a second version of the beta due out this week and he might want to send that version out.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  15. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

The update is coming along great, I've managed to get so many things done over the last few weeks.

The AI is finished and ready for beta testing - I would like to know how the AI work in your track configurations. I have tested the AI in a number of various tracks and they work great.

Currently, the general setup of AI on track requires you to drive around the track to "draw" the racing line and set target speeds for each class of vehicle. This can be bit time consuming so I'm looking for other ways to handle this.

Performance is something I've kept in mind constantly while working on the AI and I'm happy to see high numbers of AI have little impact on framerate.

Unfortunately, the beta will not be available this weekend - I will need a few more days to wrap things up because I didn't put as many hours into v2.0 as I had planned this week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks.

16. facundogalella

facundogalella

Excellent! I'm doing a rally raid game, so, the AI cars doesn't need keep an only and accurate way in many scenes, I mean, can race in a wide space, 5 meters to the left, 5 meters to the right.

I'm ansious to test the new AI!

A little question about the 2.0: we need to use all features of the asset? or we can choice some of them? because I have a lot of things of playability made for rally raid races and maybe use some some features of the asset, like the AI could be a great idea to 'don't start again' in many points that are ready and working ok.

17. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

You only use the features that you want. I've built most of the systems independent from each other for this purpose.

The Racing Game Starter Kit offers so many features but you as the developer choose what features you want to use for your racing game.

RGSK is becoming more of an engine than a starter kit :)

18. Emile97

Emile97

Hun the way that AI is set up ; does it use unity new ML system? They showcased it on their GDC this year I guess. But I have a question, what if you have an intersection(like shortcuts) on the track, how will all the AI behave? I mean will all the cars take the shortcut or some of them?? Thank you.

19. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

No, I haven't dug into Machine Learning at all. I would like to start learning ML sometime in the near future though.

The AI in v2.0.0 will not be able to take shortcuts, they stick to one route.

However, the way track distance is calculated, the player is able to cut the track without messing up distance tracking unlike 1.x.x / current beta versions.

At the moment, v2.0.0 is feature complete and I will not spend any more time working on new features. Multiple routes for the AI is definitely in the road map and will work on it soon.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  20. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Fully agree with this statement! RGSK is not a kit anymore. It is transforming into
    a game development engine itself. The ability of RGSK is way above any 'starter kit'.

Waiting for the beta.

Thanks

Ian094 likes this.
  21. facundogalella

facundogalella

Simply beautiful!

22. Prefab

Prefab

Hi @Intense_Gamer94 I am looking to purchase this asset to add racing into an open world style environment. Since a race will begin with the player going to a specific location first and takes place in the open world, I thought I would check first if this would work with my specific requirements.

I imagine that I would setup all of the race components and attach them to an empty gameobject which would be disabled, and once the player travels to the race location and selects the race the gameobject would then be enabled and the race would start. Or do you think it would be necessary to setup each race as separate scene and simply load the scene each time? My concern with the separate scene setup is that, due to the open world nature, a player can exit a race and travel to any part of the environment whenever they like, which would essentially mean having multiple versions of the full environment for each race.

This asset looks really fantastic so please let me know.

23. Emile97

Emile97

That one is really interesting, I suppose that every "draw" you'll be making will be saved as a file with a specific extension right? (like .drawnRoute for exemple)

Assuming that what I said is true, a good way of simulating a good racing environment with shortcuts can be something like
    1) you "draw" different routes (4 or 5 or even more)
    2) you store these routes inside an array (let say routeArray[4])
    3) before the racing starts, we assign a random value of "routeArray[randomValue]" to all the different cars (so that each car will follow a different version of the same route thus behaving as if they "sometimes" take shortcuts since their route will be different on every game session )

I'm not sure if do make sense that much (since I didn't sign up for the beta) but I'll try to implement something like that once I'll get V2.0.

About that, I'm planning on making "modular" tracks, (i mean on lap 2 the track will be different than on lap 1 ) so they'll (the tracks parts) have to be disabled and enabled at running time, will this break the distance tracking?

Thank you.

24. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The Racing Game Starter Kit has been built on a race-per-scene basis. It would be possible to setup multiple races in one scene but this would need some modifications.

You have the right idea. From the top of mind, I think you would need to setup a track editor(i.e track layout, grid positions, triggers, etc) for each track in the scene while only having 1 race manager. When starting a race you would need to activate the corresponding track editor and update the race manager and other race components with the track information.

I will try this out after releasing the update to see what kind of issues you would run into.

Thanks.

Prefab likes this.
  25. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

1) Each track node has a "racing line offset". Together, these offsets make up the racing line. As you drive around the track this offset is updated and saved when you exit play mode.

2) That's one approach to multiple routes. The AI can only follow one route at a time so maybe consider using a trigger that switches between their active route.

3) Yes, this will most likely break it.

Emile97, AbhishekRaj and JamesArndt like this.
  26. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    Could you write a changelog 2.0? What we should expect, since last beta version?
    I know that It fix some bugs, but what about e.g. lights on/off?

27. Emile97

Emile97

thanks for the answer. It will be fun playing around with RGSK I cannot wait. I'm just still scared about the vehicle physics though ... I'm really into semi-realistic behavior .... (not 100% realistic ). anyway, It is coding, right? so tweaking is possible :p:p:p:p:p

JamesArndt likes this.
  28. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm checking the forum daily for this now :)

Ian094, Emile97 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  29. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Me too;).

30. Emile97

Emile97

same here

31. Track505

Track505

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Ian094, Emile97 and JamesArndt like this.
  32. Emile97

Emile97

So, if I understand, you made an arcade game with RGSK?. The picture looks nice though

33. Track505

Track505

Thats right. Here a litte Video from this Pic.

Ian094 likes this.
  34. Emile97

Emile97

waw waw your game is really good.
    I have a question. at 0:37 the car is affected by a wheel and then fly over (like leaves the ground and rotate in the air...). how did you make it possible ? (i know there are many ways to do this but I wanna know how you made it with the kit )

About the red car: He is following the path right? (the one you "draw") , Don't you think that his behavior is a little too robotic? (because from 0:45 till 1:11 it feels like a replay even though it isn't ). Maybe you should try to make it move a little bit different on different lap?
    Still, your Demo is really nice (especially if the car physics you use are from the same kit , I'm 10 times more excited about the final release of 2.0 now thanks to you ).
    Have a nice day and please if you have any update about your game, do share with it us.:) I'm really interested in its evolution.

Ian094 likes this.
  35. Emile97

Emile97

Unity 2018.1 is out, with a lot of interesting features, is RGSK compatible with it or shall we stay on the previous version of unity for better support?
    thank you

36. Track505

Track505

th
    thx.
    this is the old version of rgsk.
    I'm waiting too for the 2.0 :) car in the air are only the unity physiks and "real" values for the tires. same with the car.

37. Emile97

Emile97

Let's wait then. :D Thanks for the car in the air though.

Track505 likes this.
  38. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

It's better to stay on previous version because I got lots of errors on the console in version 2018.1.

39. Ian094

Ian094

Sure,

I'll post the changelog here soon. Almost every single feature has been reworked since releasing beta.

Lights on/off is a feature and is now separate from the main vehicle controller script. Also, the replay system is able to record the vehicle lights.

40. Ian094

Ian094

I wouldn't consider the vehicle physics in RGSK 2.0 as 100% realistic.

Remember you can always implement your own vehicle physics. The documentation will include extensive information on how to do this.

41. Ian094

Ian094

I've been stuck on some issues for the last few days that I am trying to sort out.

We're nearly there.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  42. Ian094

Ian094

I'm currently installing Unity 2018.1 so I would recommend you do the same.

The final 2.0 release may only support Unity 2018.1 and higher.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  43. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

2018 is barely out of beta or still in beta. It hasn't even been production proven for any amount of time. Also 2017.4 is the first LTS release, which means long term support. Why on earth would you choose to not support the latest proven long term support release? I'm not jumping into an Editor that is either just out of beta or is coming out of beta release soon.

user099, Emile97 and blakeysal like this.
  44. Emile97

Emile97

Actually, It officially came out yesterday, that's why I posted my comment.
    But still you're kinda right but I guess he said that because of the amount of work that is necessary to produce the kit (remember he is a one-man team). With that said I'm sure that 2018.1 has a ''Lot'' of modifications; that's why @AbishekRaj has been getting a ton of errors in the console recently.

Now If you have to consider in term of "selling requirement or selling logic", the Unity community has a lot of developers and I'm kinda sure that the majority of them are still "kinda new? and/or oriented mobile dev" so they'll most probably update their Engine just after reading the unity official changelog of 2018.1 (which of course has a bait with their new lightmap stuff and lhd for mobile that is supposed to increase performance and reduce draw call and blablba....): What do you think will happen if one of these devs see that 2018.1 isn't supported by RGSK "yet" ? It might impact sales performance and that's bad. What I mean is: as a "dev kit developer", he has to take into consideration a lot of parameters (other than technical ones) to assure that the majority is happy cause sales are more about psychology first (that's why marketing does exist lol ) and performance later (review, showcases, after sales feedback from dev etc....). So a small detail as "compatibility with 2018.1" might have a huge impact later on down the road

Now, when you consider more advanced developers like you for example (I think I Know you from a video you did on Kickstarter a few years back on a racing game ?? I really hope I don't confuse; either way: you're an experienced Dev ); You are well aware of "version control or save points" so, of course, there will be a backup somewhere which will be working on 2017.4, You'll just have to mail the Dev with your bill invoice and request that particular version.

+ I'm not sure that everyone has the same view as you when It comes to << I'm not jumping into an Editor that is either just out of beta or is coming out of beta release soon >>.

I'm not even sure that I'm making sense though, I don't personally know the Dev so he might be thinking differently, I just said what I think is right?
    Sorry for writing long comments :(:(

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  45. Emile97

Emile97

Yeah I know that.:) but I'm not good at writing vehicle physics, but I can try to tweak a ready-made code. Anyway, as I said before: I will first get the kit, try it and if I get stuck I'll just ask for help here and whoever wants to help me will do. :p because now I cannot comment (and shouldn't comment) on something I don't have yet so let's just wait....

46. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

You can always try other 3rd party vehicle physics. One fine example of that is RCC.

Emile97 likes this.
  47. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I also agree to you. When Unity themselves have released 2018.1, then they would have tested it extensively. I was a beta tester for Unity 2018 and I can assure you that Unity 2018.1 is a lot more improved than previous Unity versions. It's more productive, has better features and the performance is also improved on mobile devices. One thing to note is that with every subsequent update, the gap between Unity Plus and Pro is reducing.

And for RGSK, I think it's better to support the latest version because a lot of people specially the new developers tend to start with the latest version.

Ian094 and Emile97 like this.
  48. Emile97

Emile97

hi :)
    after reading your comment I went to the asset store ... then I found exactly the kind of physics I wanna implement on my cars: Perfect car Physics( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/perfect-car-physics-116274 ). Now I guess that I'll get RGSK first then I'll try some changes. Then I'll try that asset and see if I can implement RGSK with it.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  49. Emile97

Emile97

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I like that one

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  50. blakeysal

blakeysal

well i ve just upgrade My-Project form 2017.3.1p1 two unity 2018.1 and no problems works great
    Intense_Gamer94 Beta kit only problem is my car Shaders dont work all pink and no update on my custom shaders yet for unity 2018.1 sorry shaders working now simple fix all good

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Mayureshete and Ian094 like this.