Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Hello, any update on the next beta build

2. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, the next beta build is going very well. I've actually been so busy working on it that I forgot to post regular updates here.

I've been working on the new camera system in v2.0 which will be powered by Cinemachine. I didn't want to dive right into implementing Cinemachine with the RGSK CameraManager without knowing the ins and outs of Cinemachine so over the past week I've been looking up tutorials and docs on Cinemachine to get familiar with it. Setting up cameras in v2.0 will be much easier and not restrictive in any way. So if you want a top down camera, isometric or whatever, it will be possible.

The replay cameras will now use track distance to select what camera to enable next rather than world distance. This means that the camera the vehicle is closest to on track will be enabled rather than the one the vehicle is physically closest to. This is a minor improvement but makes quite a difference.

Also, all track cameras will be virtual cameras which means you have the power to make all sorts of changes to individual cameras to behave the way you want. In future the replay camera system will be greatly improved.

I have worked on making improvements to the way distance is calculated along the track and managed to make some big improvements here. Position tracking will be more accurate than it has ever been before. The previous method was good however, it could have some shortcomings if the player decided to cut a big portion of the track.

The next beta build will resemble the final v2.0 release so we should expect the Racing Game Starter Kit to finally get updated on the Asset Store shortly afterwards.

Thank you!

3. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

That's a nice list of improvements. As you said, these updates will make RGSK v2 perfect.

Looking forward towards the next BETA release.

Ian094 likes this.
  4. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Those improvements sound great! Really happy to hear the replay system is getting improvements and cinemachine functionality.

The improvements to the measurement of distance sound great.

When can we test these updates? I'd be happy to test a beta version and help debug it if needed.

Cheers!

5. Ian094

Ian094

The update will be ready quite soon I hope. I will try my best to post regular updates on the progress to keep everyone up-to date.

Thanks.

Track505, Mayureshete and AbhishekRaj like this.
  6. AOEIII150

AOEIII150

Hi @Intense_Gamer94
    I found the "fix" for my previuous problem:

A game object can only be in one layer. The layer needs to be in the range [0...31]
    UnityEngine.GameObject:set_layer(GameObject, Int32)
    RGSK.GameObjectExtensions:SetColliderLayer(GameObject, String) (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:17)
    RGSK.RaceManager:SpawnVehicle(GameObject, Int32, Boolean) (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:473)
    RGSK.RaceManager:SpawnPlayer() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:333)
    RGSK.RaceManager:Start() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:203)

I don't know why, but Unity deleted the Layer "IngoreCollision" from the PhysicsManager. I found the layer in the C# code and i restored it.

Ian094 likes this.
  7. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe it's almost been 2 weeks since my last update, time really flies!

Here are some of the changes and improvements made to v2.0:

The countdown sequence is now a Timeline. With Timelines, you have no boundaries to what you want to do with your countdown sequence. You can choose create a cool cut scene before the countdown starts. You can choose to display lights, texts, or whatever you can imagine to indicate race start.

The Racing Game Starter Kit will no longer dictate what happens in the countdown or post race sequences, giving you so much more control over the flow of your racing games.

I was able to add Unity Events into Timeline thanks to this amazing post. These help to trigger events at specific times in the sequence. The main events triggered by Timeline when using RGSK would be race start, start/stop replay recording, switch race state, etc

If you've never used Timeline, I would recommend giving it a try in your free time. Basic knowledge of Timeline will be required to use v2.0.

The camera and audio systems have been reworked and greatly improved. Each Camera will have it's own audio properties using Snapshots. This means that you will be able to set audio levels and audio effects based on the active camera. For example, when using an interior camera view, apply low pass and reduce vehicle volume to make it seem as if you are inside the car.

Here's a video of that in action:

These and many other improvements have been made. However, there is still lots to do.

Some of the bugs present at the moment are:

Ghost Vehicle System
    In RGSK, the ghost has always been instantiated at the start of the race as a copy of the player vehicle. One problem here is that all references to assets such as Materials are kept within the ghost's scripts so for example, when the ghost is on a frame where the brake input was pressed, the player's brakelights will go on. This is definitely unwanted behavior so I am thinking of making ghosts a completely separate vehicle so that each vehicle will have a ghost partner that is used for that specific vehicle. I am on the fence with this approach so it may or may not happen.

Replay System
    If you've noticed in the current beta build, there are no tyre marks during a replay. This is because I think recording meshes would be overkill so I never attempted it. This brings me back to the point I made sometime ago about how vehicle damage will be handled in replays - I will attempt to work on some sort of replay event system that only records an item whenever something happens so in the case of tyre marks, whenever the vehicle wheels generate them. Again, I'm on the fence with this approach too so it may or may not happen.

I will tackle these and other issues over the course of the week and hopefully have an update soon.

I want to push the next beta build for testing within the next few weeks because I am aiming to have 2.0 submitted to the Asset Store sometime in April.

I'm very happy with the way v2.0 is shaping up. I am excited to get it released and see the awesome racing games everyone makes.

Thanks for reading!

8. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Congratulations on your work, awaiting the final version.

Hug.

Ian094 likes this.
  9. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Any further improvements in Car Physics and AI..?

10. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Car physics, yes.

AI, still pending.

11. Track505

Track505

Any News for a Final Version? :) greetings

12. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

I haven't got much to update at the moment other than what I have been working on.

Over the past week, I have mainly been focusing on custom editors and workflow. I have moved all the menu item options into a separate window to keep things neat and less confusing - I think the Racing Game Starter Kit has too many options to simply use Menu Items.

I also began working on the AI this week. I haven't got a lot to say about the AI yet, but I will be sure to post an update when I do.

I'd say RGSK 2.0 is currently about 70% complete. Depending on how everything goes, I'm looking to have the second beta build released in about a weeks time then have the final v2.0 release submitted to the Asset Store before the end of April.

Thanks.

Track505, Mayureshete and Max1982 like this.
  13. Max1982

Max1982

Hi, upgrade vehicle option will be available in v.2.0 version?

14. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I have not started working on this yet but I am pretty sure we will see vehicle upgrades in the 2.0 update

Thanks.

15. Emile97

Emile97

Hi, I was thinking about your Ai system. I think that I would be a great idea to have a multiple independent scripts for the Ai..
    It could be :
    1) a script "only" to check if the other players are near/close to him (in front or behind) / - > only checking this will help the other developers setting specific custom actions based on the Ai position at that moment(like adding boost for exemple)
    2) a script to avoid colisión with other object like walls or the other Ai's
    3) - > a script for the controller input <- : the user just tells the AI script which buttons it should press to go left or right; brake; BoostButton(optional)

Will your Ai kit have support for the physics of FunCar kit 2.0??
    Thank you

16. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The AI is split into 2 scripts at the moment, an AI controller and an AI input script.

The AI controller acts as the brain of the AI calculating the target speed, the desired input values, the position to drive on track, etc.

The AI input script simply receives input values from the AI controller and sends it to the vehicle controller. This is just an interface making it easy to implement with custom vehicle physics scripts.

I was planning to support Fun Car Kit but it is no longer available on the asset store.

17. hadisajjadi

hadisajjadi

Hi. I'm Using This Package And Rcc For Creating My Game .
    I wanted To Use Nitro For Ai Cars. And When Ai cars Collide With Nitro Triggers They Work fine but after a few seconds they slowly losing their speed And Finally Stop Moving. How Do I fix it

18. Emile97

Emile97

oulala I'm using fun car kit(got it directly from the develloper )....... and I really love it though .. I will still buy your asset for sure.
    just tell me : will it be hard if I want to adapt the Ai input for funCar kit ?

19. Ian094

Ian094

Not at all, as I said in my previous post all you will need to do is create a script that implements an interface (IAInput to be specific). This script will basically handle sending input values from the AI Controller to Fun Car Kit.

Everything will be well documented, it'll be a walk in the park.

Just curious, how would you know about the AI system if you have not purchased the Racing Game Starter Kit? o_O
    Never mind.

JamesArndt likes this.
  20. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The RCC AI integration in v1.1.0a does not include nitro. Is this something you have implemented yourself? If so, please send me a PM with the details so I can help.

Thanks.

21. Emile97

Emile97

<<Just curious, how would you know about the AI system if you have not purchased the Racing Game Starter Kit? >>

remeber i sent you a mail last week about car physics like in "Mario Kart game ". then you mentioned "Randomation Vehicle Physic" on github and you also redirected me here . i just read the first 7 pages of this thread and i decided to post my question lol .

i'm waiting for your kit to release (the latest version) before implementing anything serious in my game .
    :):)

22. Ian094

Ian094

Well I'm confident v2.0 will give you a great start to your racing game(s). I'm working hard to solve all the current issues and get it released as soon as I can.

Watch this thread to get alerted of when I post any updates.

Thanks.

23. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

You can work on optimization in this version 2.0, because I'm suffering in version 1.0, when testo the apk it leaves before loading. Can you do this even in version 1.0?

Hug.

24. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

Yes, optimization is one of the key things I've been working on for v2.0. Even at this stage in development, I am still finding ways to gain more performance from the code I write.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If the apk crashes on launch, I suppose it's something to do with the AndroidManifest file. Are you using multiple plugins?

v1.x will not be improved any further. The next update will be 2.0.

Also, support for v1.x will be dropped shortly after 2.0 is released.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj and Mayureshete like this.
  25. witcher101

witcher101

26. Ian094

Ian094

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  27. facundogalella

facundogalella

This would be great!

Ian094 likes this.
  28. Emile97

Emile97

will your car physic system have support for 3 wheels vehicles ?

29. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, 3 wheeled vehicles are supported.

It's funny you ask this now because just a few days ago, I was testing 3 wheeled vehicles.

The vehicle physics in 2.0 can support as many wheels as you want.

JamesArndt, AOEIII150 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  30. Emile97

Emile97

that's great really great. i'm really exited for the release

31. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Hi
    I had a bit of time today to have a bit more of a play with RGSK beta 2. I'm getting a new issue in both the latest builds of 2018 and 2017, this may of already been fixed as I have been busy with a different project for the last month.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Input Axis LookX is not setup.
    2. To change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input
    3. RGSK.OrbitCamera.Update () (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Camera/OrbitCamera.cs:47)
    regards
    Mark

32. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Mark,

This happens because the project settings have not been updated.

The project settings can be found in the Racing Game Starter Kit/Integrations/Other/Project Settings folder. Extract the contents into your project settings folder and accept the prompts to replace existing files.

33. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Hi
    Yes thanks, I was sat in the garden eating dinner and I my 15 yr old asked if I had extracted them as soon as he said it i knew that was the problem.......... at least I now know he is actually listen when I show him stuff lol.

Regards

AbhishekRaj, JamesArndt and Ian094 like this.
  34. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

@Intense_Gamer94 great to see v2.0 actively being developed and beta tested, one feature I would like implementing is to be able to view the Replay thus far at any point during a race when Pausing the game, rather than only being able to view the full replay at the end of the race.

Would this be a relatively easy addition/modification?

Thanks!

Greg

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Greg,

Watching the replay during a race from the pause menu is already implemented in the current beta build and will be featured in the final 2.0 release.

Somewhere down the line I want to expand on this feature and possibly add a rewind system as seen in games like Dirt 3, Grid 2 and Forza.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj and Greg-Bassett like this.
  36. Emile97

Emile97

Please, I have two more questions:

Does your car physics allows this kind of drift (like a need for speed or asphalt 8 )? here is a video of what I'm saying (
    )

The second one is about the release date: do you think your kid will be ready before may 19th?
    Thank you

JamesArndt likes this.
  37. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

1) No, drifting will not be like that. Drifting in the v2.0 update is achieved by altering the WheelCollider friction values to simulate drift behavior.

Looking at NFS, the drifting looks mechanical, as if it's triggered when the car's angle exceeds a certain degree.

In v2.0, vehicles have 2 separate handling modes (Normal & Drift) so it isn't possible to combine the 2 as seen in NFS.

I will try to make a video showcasing the drifting in v2.0.

2) I want to release the second beta build sometime next week for feedback before submitting to the asset store. So yes, RGSK 2.0 should be ready before May 19th.

Mayureshete and blakeysal like this.
  38. Ian094

Ian094

Here's a video showcasing drifting in v2.0:

39. blakeysal

blakeysal

Ian094 likes this.
  40. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

That’s great news! If I PM you my invoice number can I get access to the BETA?

Here is a screenshot from my racing game I am creating using RGSK!

C0EB86ED-BA0E-41D4-9400-AB06BC743768.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    blakeysal, AbhishekRaj and Ian094 like this.
  41. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, you can get access to the beta version this way.
    Nice! I like the art style here. Looks really good.

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  42. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks Ian! I am hoping players like the art style too, I have used RCC for the physics and I have managed to get a really nice fast car setup, with really good braking enabling great control, and allowing for late braking into corners, I have also used Amplify Motion which really helps bring the feel of speed to my visuals.

I have just emailed you at your gmail account.

Greg

43. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Here's a couple of videos of my game... none of this would be possible without your amazing asset!!! :)

Navigating chicane...

Early development video, overtaking entire field through fast curve sequence...

blakeysal, JamesArndt and Ian094 like this.
  44. Emile97

Emile97

That looks good really good; I guess I could tweak it a little bit to get a different feel when drifting (semi-realistic) once I'll get the kit ??? So far it look's really nice; thank you for the hard work.

btw do you support Randomation vehicle Physics ?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  45. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Nice! What did you use to create the track? EasyRoads3D v3?

46. Emile97

Emile97

There is something called as Dream tech spline line ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/dreamteck-splines-61926 ) . It offers a lot of flexibility not only for track creation but for other stuff as well (check their youtube demo :
    )

I do use it a lot while prototyping stuff for my game and waiting for the release of this kit.

AbhishekRaj, Ian094 and Greg-Bassett like this.
  47. Ian094

Ian094

It is possible to tweak the values to achieve different drift behaviors. What is showcased in the video are the typical results.
    I will not integrate assets that have been abandoned or not supported by their authors. However, I will make an exception for RVP because of how cool the physics are and it's open source on github.

AbhishekRaj and blakeysal like this.
  48. Ian094

Ian094

The track wasn't created by me.

I have minimal knowledge on EasyRoads3D as I've never really used it much but I suppose it could be used to create an identical race track.

49. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Hey bud quick question. If I am using the V1 of RGSK and I bring it into Unity 4.72 what are some of the big issues you'd think I'd I have. Just off the top of your head. I am going to install 4.72 for some mobile device performance testing and I would like to test this kit in that version. I would be able to fix the code if need be, unless it's using some references to things that weren't in 4.72.

50. Ian094

Ian094

The first ever version of RGSK was released in Unity 5 so It's hard to tell what kind of issues you'll face. Possibly the biggest issue I think will be vehicle physics since the WheelCollider was significantly changed when Unity 5 was introduced.

JamesArndt likes this.