Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Hey Everyone,

The Unity 2017 issues mentioned have been fixed. I am using Unity 2017.2 which means there could be more issues with Unity 2017.3, I really hope not though.

- The MissingReferenceExeption from the Input Manager was because I forgot to check "Don't Destroy On Load" in the demo scenes.

- The championship issue was because the championship scriptable object lost references to the AI opponent vehicles. I guess this happened during the import to Unity 2017.

- The lighting issue required a rebuild of the lighting.

I believe these are the only issues for now.

I will send out a patch to all beta testers today.

Remember to update your project settings by going to the "Racing Game Starter Kit/Integrations/Other/Project Settings" folder or-else everything is going to be a mess.

If you have any questions about anything, just let me know.

Thank you.

2. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

That's a great news. Thanks for the quick update.

Ian094 likes this.
  3. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Will you have separate patches for Unity 5.x and Unity 2017.x?

4. Ian094

Ian094

No, just Unity 2017.2 for now.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  5. AOEIII150

AOEIII150

Unity 2017.2 P3

1)
    When I try to start a race with the "Replay Manager" enabled:

UnityException: Tag: RecordableObject is not defined.
    RGSK.ReplayManager.FindMiscellaneousObjects () (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Replay/ReplayManager.cs:84)
    RGSK.ReplayManager.InitializeReplay () (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Replay/ReplayManager.cs:36)
    RGSK.RaceManager.StartRace () (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:776)
    RGSK.RaceManager+<Countdown>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:744)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Coroutines.cs:17)

The tag "RecordableObject" has to be add in the inspector

2)
    I always receive these errors from the console:

A game object can only be in one layer. The layer needs to be in the range [0...31]
    UnityEngine.GameObject:set_layer(GameObject, Int32)
    RGSK.GameObjectExtensions:SetColliderLayer(GameObject, String) (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:17)
    RGSK.RaceManager:SpawnVehicle(GameObject, Int32, Boolean) (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:473)
    RGSK.RaceManager:SpawnPlayer() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:333)
    RGSK.RaceManager:Start() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:203)

A game object can only be in one layer. The layer needs to be in the range [0...31]
    RGSK.GameObjectExtensions:SetColliderLayer(GameObject, String) (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:17)
    RGSK.RaceManager:SpawnVehicle(GameObject, Int32, Boolean) (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:473)
    RGSK.RaceManager:SpawnAI() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:359)
    RGSK.RaceManager:Start() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Managers/RaceManager.cs:204)

RGSK.Slipstream:Start() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/Vehicle/Extra/Slipstream.cs:40)

RGSK.AiLogic:SetupSensors() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/AI/AiLogic.cs:108)
    RGSK.AiLogic:Start() (at Assets/Racing Game Starter Kit/Scripts/AI/AiLogic.cs:95)

3)

During a championship the AI change cars.

4)
    In the TrackEditor the numbers seem fly
    2.PNG

6. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

For errors 1) and 2) please make sure that you have updated your project settings from the "Racing Game Starter Kit/Integrations/Other/Project Settings" folder.
    3) The AI should use the exact same vehicles and driver details because they are pre-assigned. If you are using the "GT86" AI vehicle, you will notice that they have a BodyMaterialSelector.cs script attached to them. This script assigns random colors to the vehicles on start.

4) This is a strange thing when using Handles to display scene view Labels. Uncheck "show node indexes" in the TrackLayout to get rid of this.

Thank you.

AOEIII150 likes this.
  7. Neviah

Neviah

Don't mean to add pressure, but was online multiplayer something you were thinking of doing in the future? Thanks for your time ^_^

8. AOEIII150

AOEIII150

Yep updated but the problem persist. Now I also noticed the same error on the stable release of RGSK.
    It seems an array problem.
    The console shows a lot of errors during the player/AI spawn/respawn

Ok thanks!

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Definitely, multiplayer is going to be my main priority after the beta phase. Solely because I understand how important multiplayer is for racing games, especially nowadays.

Multiplayer will be designed a lot like Forza Motorsport multiplayer hoppers, where players join a lobby, race, vote on the next track and repeat.

Multiplayer will use uNET.

Thanks.

Neviah, AOEIII150 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  10. Ian094

Ian094

Hmmm,

Did any of those errors go away after updating your project settings?

The errors you posted:
    And
    I believe these errors will only occur if you have not properly updated your project settings.

Please check that you have indeed extracted the files in the Racing Game Starter Kit/Integrations/Other/Project Settings/ProjectSettings.zip file to your project settings folder and replaced all files when prompted to.

Thanks.

11. Silveralby

Silveralby

HI guys I'm a beginner and I ask you if you can change the "AI vehicles" in each track. RGSK always includes the first cars I created. I've been trying for a while in a few days but I can not understand how it can be done.
    1.JPG 2.JPG

12. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

Here's a video going through how to set up a race scene with v2.0 Beta:

cl9-2, Neviah, Track505 and 5 others like this.
  13. toto2003

toto2003

Hi Dude, welcome back and take it easy, what you achieve with the Beta 2.0 is really amazing, so big thumb up for this even you didn t meet your deadline, you are a one man team who try to make the next FORZA :)
    they should definitly hire you as premium job if they are planning to use unity.

i still use v1 version and i m really happy with it, but i have an issue when i have more than 40 cars sound start to not play for some of the cars, i think unity is limited to 40 sound playing at the same time, but i can t manage to fix that issue, any hint would be appreciate.

cheers mate.

Ian094 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  14. wolfy2

wolfy2

Glad to C you again and that u finally delivered :).. Good job.

Ian094 likes this.
  15. user099

user099

maybe this can help: https://answers.unity.com/questions/220564/how-many-sounds-can-play-all-at-once.html

AbhishekRaj and Ian094 like this.
  16. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Anyone knows how to use mobile controls in RGSK 2.0 BETA? The desktop controls are working fine but I want to use mobile controls.

JamesArndt likes this.
  17. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

windows->racing game starter kit->Scene setup->UI->Mobile control template.. and it works

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  18. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

also i have a question if we use different car physics for player and use default AI car physics...

19. Ian094

Ian094

Not currently, doing so might break the replay system and possibly other things.

I will work on integrations towards the end of the beta phase. You can see the integrations I have planned in the "Integrations" folder.

Note that many things will be re-written, changed and modified by the time v2.0 is ready. The current state of v2.0 beta is far from finished.

I will probably leave a post here soon on the things that I have been working on.

Thanks.

blakeysal, toto2003 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  20. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

ok i was just asking is it a possibility in the final version, cause the AI looks well optimised...

21. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, this will be possible in the final version for sure.

The AI are more optimized than v1 but please remember that they are not finished. Like many other things, the AI are still a work in progress.

Many things are subject to change by the time we get to the final release version.

22. speedy19802

speedy19802

Hello everybody . I am very impressed with V2. the only one is the ki. I work with MoDyEn physik. but the ki is too crude for this physics. I'll talk about changes

23. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

So far, I am very happy with RGSK v2. All the things work as intended and I especially like the simplification compared to v1. In the latest BETA release, all the previously reported bugs are sorted.

All in all, RGSK v2 is a big step ahead of v1.

cl9-2 and Ian094 like this.
  24. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

MoDyEn will be integrated with RGSK soon (i.e by the end of beta).

The IK is a simple one, so I will be looking into improving it. Some of the improvements I want to make are:
    - Gear shift animation (For both H shifter and paddle shifters)
    - Head movement based on g forces.

MoDyEn provides amazing vehicle physics and can't wait to have it fully integrated.

Thanks.

toto2003 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  25. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

all working good in Unity 2017.3, but no feed back or notification after finishing the championship... like you finished on a certain place, or is there any function on champioshipfinish() ..?

26. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, I will definitely have to work on that. Championships currently have no rewards, so you simply participate in them then get thrown back to the menu.

Reward panels are currently working though. A reward panel shows the player the amount of currency and XP received after a race.

You can create a reward panel by:
    1. Creating a new panel under the "PostRacePanel"
    2. Adding the RaceRewardsPanel.cs script to this panel
    3. Design and fill in the details of the panel

After finishing a race, the reward panel will be displayed before returning to the menu.

It's important to note that this panel reads data from the RaceRewards class, so ensure that you have a gameObject with the RaceRewards.cs script attached sitting somewhere in the scene.

Thanks for your feedback!

27. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

If you would like to report bugs, please visit this page:

http://bugs.rgsk-unity.com/my_view_page.php

Navigate to "Report Issue", fill in the details and then submit the issue.

This is a new approach to tracking bugs so give it a go if you have anything to report.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  28. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

place the link in the first post of this thread too, it wont get lost

Edit ok u did it already...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  29. mitis

mitis

Intense_Gamer9
    And when there will be 2 version I 5 months ago bought you said that it will be released soon and when my project was suspended due to this ??? how long do I have to wait before buying a cigarette? I asked you if you convinced me that soon I will go out and you have not exhausted for a long time will deceive me into a letter and do not answer how much to wait for now?

30. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Looks like you missed the last few pages of this thread:)

v2 BETA has been released. Various people are testing the BETA version. Please wait till all the bugs are sorted out if you want a stable v2.

Ian094 likes this.
  31. mitis

mitis

And where is the beta version

32. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Contact the developer for that and he will guide you towards it.

33. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

If you would like to take part in beta, please send me your invoice number and I will send you a copy of v2.0 beta.

Note that beta is not complete and is still a work in progress.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  34. speedy19802

speedy19802

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

That's good.

This is one of the reasons why I provide the source code - to make it easy for people to adjust and make changes to the code.

At the moment, I think the Race UI setup is fine but if I find a better solution, I will be sure to change it for v2.0 final release.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  36. speedy19802

speedy19802

yes the ui is okay. I just found it easier. I like to put the code at your disposal

Ian094 likes this.
  37. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

How can we use Menu Scene Template? How to load our Race Scene from the Demo Menu Scene?

I can't find any way to add scenes to the Menu. Any guidance?

38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The Menu Scene Template only creates the necessary panels for a menu, leaving all the designing up to the developer.

Scenes are loaded through the Quick Race Panel from an array of TrackData.

So to answer your question:

1. Create a new TrackData (right click the project tab and navigate to RGSK / New Track Data"
    2. Fill in the details for the new track
    3. Add the track to the Quick Race Panel "Track Data" array.

The panel will now include this race track when selecting tracks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  39. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought that it was somewhat like v1 hence this confusion.

40. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

A quick update on the progress of v2.0:

Over the last week, I've been working on improving the car physics for v2.0.

I have rewritten the physics from scratch to be more perfomant, easier to use and most importantly control better.

I'm still working on finishing the car physics but I will try to make a showcase video soon. I'm confident everyone will love the new and improved physics! :)

The motorbike physics in RGSK have always been mediocre and not well made and I'm sure many people can agree with me on that. For this reason, I have decided to remove motorbike physics from v2.0 completely(until I can do a better job at creating motorbike physics). Some may not like this but keep in mind I will be integrating SportbikePRO.

I recently started using Cinemachine and I can't believe what I have been missing out on. It's amazing!

The camera system in v2.0 will most likely use Cinemachine. If you haven't used Cinemachine, I would highly recommend giving it a try, you'll love it!

Thanks.

blakeysal and AbhishekRaj like this.
  41. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

yea CineMachine is the way to go, once you use Cinemachine its actually difficult not using it. also it appears the mobile controls are not gr8 yet, accelerometer is not that responsive... touch is good, not tried steering wheel yet.

42. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I agree. Cinemachine is such a cool & powerful camera system.

Mobile controls are sluggish at the moment but this will be improved.

Thanks for your feedback!

43. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I was also struggling with the accelerometer but then I found that once you increase the sensitivity, it works fine. The default value is 1. Change it to 3 or 4 according to your preference.

44. Ian094

Ian094

Hello Everyone,

I've been working on a new way to setup vehicles in v2.0 and I have managed to come up with a pretty solid way of doing this.

In the main tab, you select a preset to use as a base for the car and configure it:
    1.png

In the wheels tab, you set up the car wheels & select the drivetrain:
    2.png

In the extra tab, you add miscellaneous components such as vehicle lights, dashboard, nitro, etc:
    This tab will soon include Add Network Components for multiplayer :)
    3.png

The new way of setting up vehicles is reusable, which means you can reconfigure the same car as many times as you want without having to worry about duplicate components or anything terrible like that. So should anything go wrong during a car configuration, or you feel like using another preset, or you want to add extra components to the vehicle later, etc, simply open the window and do so.

The new vehicle physics are coming along great. I have added 2 handling modes: Normal & Drift.
    I'm really happy with the new car physics, I will try to release a showcase video one of these days.

A new beta build should be due soon. I will post regular updates on the new beta build.

Thanks for reading!

AOEIII150, Neviah, blakeysal and 3 others like this.
  45. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

That's a really convenient way to set up vehicles. It's simple but effective and has lots of options to configure.

The addition of multiplayer will be nice too.

Waiting for the Beta.

Thanks!

Ian094 likes this.
  46. Neviah

Neviah

Thanks for making it that simple. I felt like that was missing before.

Ian094 likes this.
  47. autobotlongarm

autobotlongarm

So I made a custom map and removed the path cause the arrow would turn around the other way and now I can't test the map cause it saids somebody about Object reference is not a instance to a object and called it at
    RaceManager.ConfigureNodes () (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Race/System/Racemanager.cs:693)

48. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Have you updated your project settings? If not, then it might be the reason.

49. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

A path is required in the scene. Please create a new path around your race track.

The arrow will turn in the direction of the path. Each track is different therefore each track needs it's own path.

v2.0.0 beta is currently ongoing for this asset. If you would like to take part, feel free to send me a PM.

autobotlongarm likes this.
  50. autobotlongarm

autobotlongarm

I just updated it today, and fixed the error. It seems I had Path 000 behind the racer. It's all good now.

AbhishekRaj likes this.