Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

The physics is customizable. By tweaking values such as traction, steer helper and WheelCollider values like suspension, you can achieve a realistic feeling. I went for more of an "Arcade" type physics in the demo.

I'm still working on improving the car physics and including full support for other vehicle physics packages.

Thanks.

2. Ian094

Ian094

This is probably a bug. I will look into it and fix in the next version.

3. Atzig

Atzig

Definitely something weird going on because now some of my races won't load the right car. DataLoader is throwing a nullreference for some reason. Ahh the joys of game development.

4. Ian094

Ian094

Player cars, by default, are loaded from Resources/PlayerCar folder.

Make sure the PlayerPref string "PlayerCar", matches the name of the car you want loaded and you will not get any errors.

Also, make sure you have an active RaceManager in your scene.

I will be releasing video tutorials sometime soon that will cover pretty much everything in the kit.

Thanks.

5. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.3b just went live!

It has a few improvements and bug fixes.

6. Angiel

Angiel

Hi.
    the package seems very interesting. I liked very much the demo and I am interested in purchasing.
    I'm planning a rally game and would like to know if your package is suitable (or easily adaptable) to rally racing.
    In the future you will do the updates on this type of racing?

7. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @Angiel , thanks for your interest.

Currently, the kit doesn't support rally racing but it would be possible to extend the kit to support it.

Rally race type will definitely be included in a future update though.

Thanks again.

8. Angiel

Angiel

Thanks for the reply. I am very happy that you update the program in order to make racing rally.

Meanwhile, I'll do some simple test (I'm not a great programmer); I, in my rally, I'm not going to use the AI for the machines but the opponents end of the race, I'll create some random times; the important thing is that with the Racing Game Starter Kit I can do (easily) a final classification between the timing of the player and the timing of AI.

9. Ian094

Ian094

Sounds great.

Contact me if you need any support.

Thanks.

10. miac

miac

If I'll buy it can I distrbute it as in my game on google play and apple store?
    what is the limitation or copyright for the model texture can I use them

11. miac

miac

If I'll buy it can I distrbute it as in my game on google play and apple store?
    what is the limitation or copyright for the model texture can I use them

12. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, all the assets in the kit are free to use so you can use them in your game.

13. Quicksilver01uk

Quicksilver01uk

Hi, do you have an idea of when you might be adding in integration with Edy's Vehicle Physics? I've seen you mention it on a number of occasions and I'm just starting to use EVP now.

Aside from the AI cars, how hard is the rest of your asset (lap positioning, race types, minimap etc.) to integrate into a game using EVP?

14. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, support for EPV will be integrated soon, I can't give an exact date but probably in the next few weeks because I am currently working on v1.0.4 which will be released sometime next week.

Aside from AI, integrating EPV is pretty easy. The race system will work normally with a few minor tweaks which I can help on. The lap & positioning systems work independent of the car physics which makes things a lot easier.

15. Angiel

Angiel

Hi
    A quick information.
    But there is a manual / tutorial for Racing Game Starter Kit?
    It is online?

16. Ian094

Ian094

Hi

Yes, there's a manual in the kit(.pdf). You can preview the documentation by downloading it from this link.

Video tutorials will be out soon.

17. Angiel

Angiel

Thanks for the reply.
    Excellent the video tutorial, I am looking forward to the release

18. Hydro-Bruce

Hydro-Bruce

Hi, I really like what I've seen from this asset!. Do you plan to offer water based vehicles so we can make Hydro Thunder type games (maybe the wheel collider becomes a propeller)? Also there seems to be many water buoyancy assets that are available however I'm not a programmer so wouldn't know how to integrate them. Thanks! -Bruce

19. Ian094

Ian094

Hey, I'm happy to hear that you like the kit!

Water based vehicles have been on my mind for a while now. The kit will eventually support water based vehicles and other vehicle types.

Integrating water based vehicle assets from the asset store wouldn't be very hard as the race system works independent of vehicle physics. There are a couple changes that will need to be made though.

Thanks for your interest!

20. Ian094

Ian094

Hi everyone, v1.0.4 will be live soon. Here are some of the added features :

• Time Trial race type
    • Ghost car
    • Track selection
    • Way-point arrow support
    • Screen fade in / out

Thanks.

21. Angiel

Angiel

Fine ! Great news.
    "Time Trial race type" ---> Could it serve for my rally game ?
    "Ghost car" -> What is the use of this feature ?

22. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @Angiel,

Time trial can serve as rally to some extent but only if tweaks are made, it wont serve for a rally game out of the box. Time trial works similar to how it works in GT5 - read this.

Ghost car is a popular feature seen in many racing games such as Gran Turismo. After completing a lap in Time Trial race mode, a 'ghost car' is instantiated. The ghost car follows the path you took in the previous lap allowing you to race against yourself and better your track best time. This feature can be turned on/off in the RaceManager.

23. Edy

Edy

Let me know if I can help!
    As you say, it should be easy as EVP vehicles just need throttle / brake / steer values coming from an external script.

24. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @Edy ,

I have your physics kit and I've been playing around with it. You did an Amazing job! It works really well with this kit.

Integration will basically only involve changes to the current AI & Player scripts and a few changes to scripts that reference the current CarController.

I will let you know If I need any help.

Thanks!

Edy likes this.
  25. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.4 has just been submitted and should be live soon. I have updated the first post with the new features.

26. screenracer

screenracer

2 question, we have our own car system and were wondering how integrated your vehicles are to your race management system? We basically want everything in your package, except the car code. We like your vehicle physics, but we have been working on ours for some time and several dedicated items that are needed for our project.

The other, can we run this system in unity 4? Our current project is tied to that system and we can not upgrade. Thanks!

27. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, integrating your own vehicle physics will be easy since the race system doesn't rely on the vehicle physics. Some tweaks (mainly script references) will have to be made though. I can happily help you make them if you want.

Apparently, this kit will not work on Unity 4 without major changes being made.

28. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.4 is now live!

29. screenracer

screenracer

Thanks for the reply, bummer to see I can't use it with unity 4. I know 5 is nice and new, but we own 4 pro and were unable to upgrade to 5 pro. Not enough features to justify the leap/cost (for what we need).

30. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I totally understand. It's a shame that there isn't any backward compatibility.

The iRDS racing system has Unity 4 support, I think it's worth checking out.

Thanks for your interest.

31. screenracer

screenracer

Yeah I hear ya, up until my most recent packages, I have been supporting unity 3. I now upload my assets under 4 and I'll be uploading version 5 alternates soon, since the store now allows multiple versions. My my prospective it is much easier since I deal mostly in art, so I can do that.

32. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.5 has been submitted for review.

Some changes/additions include :

• Speed Trap race type
    • Improved AI
    • RaceUI in-race standings
    • Checkpoints(Speedtrap)
    • Wrongway respawn option added to Car_Controller.cs

Some fixes include :

• Fixed bugs with the RankManager.cs racerRanks List
    • Fixed a wrong way detection bug
    • Fixed a ghost bug with vehicles that have multiple materials
    • Fixed a bug where the ghost vehicle would emit skid particles

33. Ian094

Ian094

Check out the Offroad Demo!

The assets in the Offroad demo are by 3D Autosports. You can access all their awesome assets using this link.

offroad1.png offroad2.png offroad3.png

Please note that this demo is not included in the package.

34. Atzig

Atzig

Any chance of multiple paths, for shortcuts/alternate routes or something like Destruction Derby where the racers are travelling toward one another?

35. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I've thought about this feature and I will work on it some time in future. I don't think paths will be needed in this race type - giving the AI a target to collide with should work great.

The AI in v1.0.5 have been improved. They'll be less uniform in following the path.

36. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.5 is now live!

37. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

where do i put the lines of code for 1st 2nd 3rd place prizes, for example: if under 3rd place lose, 1st place prize 2nd and so on.
    i want to do somthing like playerprefs setInc ("currency") if you get first place, but i have no clue were oi would put my line of code

BTW , i know thats not the right way to do playerfrefs above :)

38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, open the RaceManager.cs and under the EndRace() function put your lines of code.

For example :

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void EndRace(int rank){
    2.         raceCompleted = true;
    4.         switch(rank){
    5.         case 1 :
    6.         Debug.Log("You finished 1st in " + _raceType + " race");
    7.         PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Currency",value);
    8.         break;
    10.         case 2 :
    11.         Debug.Log("You finished 2nd in " + _raceType + " race");
    12.         PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Currency",value);
    13.         break;
    15.         case 3 :
    16.         Debug.Log("You finished 3rd in " + _raceType + " race");
    17.         PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Currency",value);
    18.         break;
    20.         case 4 :
    21.         Debug.Log("You finished 4th in " + _raceType + " race");
    22.         PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Currency",value);
    23.         break;
    24.         }
    25.    }

39. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

thank you

40. Ian094

Ian094

Hi everyone, v1.0.6 is in the works and will include a new race type - Checkpoint race!

race_type.png

Other features may include support for Edy's Vehicle Physics.

Thanks.

elijahrockshout likes this.
  41. Atzig

Atzig

I meant something like Destruction Derby for N64, where two groups of racers start at different places and race towards each other.

42. Ian094

Ian094

I'll consider adding a race type like this in a future update.

43. Max1982

Max1982

Hi, nice asset. I think about to buy it, but I didn't find any information about LOCKED CAR or TRACK. For example - track number 2 is locked by default, but if player win the race it will be unlocked. What about that?

44. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, the Kit currently doesn't have a car/track unlock system but adding one would be quite simple. I'll include this feature in a future update.

Thanks for your interest.

45. Max1982

Max1982

Ok, I will be waiting. If you could think about adding car/track prizes ;) You will be a MASTER if you do that! ;)

46. Max1982

Max1982

Are there still any bugs with mobile controllers?

47. Ian094

Ian094

No, mobile controls are extremely simple to set up.

Check out this video.

48. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hello,

My Name is Alberto. I am currently developing a racing game in unity and I got very interested in the AI from your Racing Game Starter Kit.

I would like to know if it's possible to adapt your AI system to my own car physics. These physics are not based on wheel colliders, I use raycasts and forces to drive them.

I use just 4 inputs for the whole control of the car, regardless of the controller being used (keyboard or gamepad). It accelerates, steers and brakes.

Please let me know how likely it is that an adaptation can be done. If you need more information about how I made my physics in order to give me an answer, just let me know and I'll do my best to explain what you need to know.

Cheers,

Alberto Mastretta

49. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @Alberto Mastretta, the AI controller doesn't rely on WheelColliders to work. It simply makes a few calculations and passes input values to the Car_Controller for actual movement. I believe with a few minor tweaks, the AI controller will work for your cars.

You can always contact me if you need any support.

Thanks.

50. Ian094

Ian094

A reward, currency and car / track unlock systems have been added to v1.0.6

A few changes to the menu have also been made to help you easily create a menu for your racing game.

Screenshots :

raceRewards.png

newMenu.png newMenu_2.png newMenu_3.png